[NL2-NL10] JJ in SB NL5

• brazyd
      brazyd
      Bronze
      Was the check wrong? I figured that since I was the first one to act I could wait for a cont. bet from one of the 2 in order to extract more from it.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $5,00
      UTG1:
      $2,68
      MP3:
      $1,93

0,02/0,05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with J:club: , J:diamond:
      UTG1 raises to $0,15, 3 folds, MP3 calls $0,15, 2 folds, Hero calls $0,13, BB folds.

Flop: ($0,50) J:heart: , 9:diamond: , 2:club: (3 players)
      Hero checks, UTG1 checks, MP3 checks.

Turn: ($0,50) T:heart: (3 players)
      Hero bets $0,30, UTG1 folds, MP3 raises to $0,60, Hero raises to $2,00, MP3 calls $1,18 (All-In), Hero gets uncalled bet back.

River: ($4,06) 5:heart: (1 players)

Final Pot: $4,06

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows three of a kind, jacks (Jc Jd)
      MP3 shows a straight, queen high (8d Qd)

MP3 wins with a straight, queen high (8d Qd)
  • 2 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Against these unknown halfstackers i'd just 3bet preflop and call a shove with JJ.

As played it's both good news and bad news, you hit top set which is great, but often nobody will have anything since you have most of the top pair hands blocked. Against good players you should c-bet anyway since they know you'll do that with air too, against bad players unless you know they are very aggressive you should probably still bet yourself and hope to get action. It'll also prevent you getting outdrawn somehow.

Turn play is obviously fine, you can't fold top set after showing such weakness. Too bad he caught up with you.

Hope it helps.
    • brazyd
      brazyd
      Bronze
      That is more or less what I thought too, thanks a lot!