• phpps
      I know that a large part of poker is ensuring that you are in the right mindframe to be playing poker. Don't play tired, don't play upset, don't play distracted etc etc. What I was wondering is how people recognize when their mindframe changes to that of one that is not conducive to playing good poker. Now bad beats dont bother me the way that they used to and often I play mutliple tables so I dont always pay attention to them as much. But after multiple bad beats (like the other day I had AA cracked twice in the matter of 5 min with all in pots by hands that should not even be played let alone reraised preflop, and then several other bad beats on the river) sometimes I do feel myself tilting. But IMO I feel that I have differing levels of tilting. One that I have been able to recognize is I start telling myself that I can make that BI back and I set that as a goal before i end the session. I have also come to realize that as soon as these thoughts enter my mind I immediately walk away from my computer. Other times I will just play a couple of hands aggressively and I can get the tilt out of my system and resume proper play. I have slowly begun to recognize specific indicators within myself to prevent downswings due to tilt (tilt being any irrational play due to emotion).

I guess what I am getting at is what do other people recognize as indicators that they are on tilt or it is time to take a break? Thougts that they have (mindframe), getting ansty, verbally berrating your computer screen, chasing your cat under the table cause it looked at your plants the wrong way.....any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • 4 replies
    • Cpwpoker
      Me i know that my game is suffering when :

I'm feeling strange/hot or unusual.

I feel as if i forcing me to play and not play because i want to.

This make my game suffer as i will become a mouse just being tight and stop to raise even with premium hand.

When i'm on tilt i set goals too which may be negative >_< but most of the time i reach the goal of break-even.

When i'm starting to sleep on desk with my read up just watching the screen from a lower perpective and just clicking lol

All these make my game suffer and i know i should stop to play but i can't stop xD

Ahh when you ask yourself also when your session will end lol

hope this help a little xD
    • AlexanderD22
      Since I have just started here and currently playing SSS I would say switch to a little SSS for a while if you feel yourself tilting. Playing SSS is one of the most tedious things I have ever experienced in my life but it is so simple and the rules are so concrete that you can't tilt. I suggest this as you will still earn some FPP or whatever the site you play on gives you as well as pokerstrategy points.

And BTW, I yell at my cats too lol.
    • phpps
      I do play SSS sometimes although I play poker cause I enjoy not just to make money and although SSS is good to teach the basics and if you can put up with monotony of it it can be very profitable but just not for me. And I have tilted playing SSS as well.

Although sometimes I will switch to SSS but I find that is bad if I feel tilty since I tend to push too much. (and i only really yell at my fiance's cat, i swear it is pure evil, mine is an angel of course)

ty cdwpoker that input is helpful.
    • kingdippy2008

Im not sure whether they could help but you can check out the psychology articles--> http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/psychology/

Best Regards,