UTG hotrodwitte ($1.70)
      UTG+1 nakedbot2.0 ($3.00)
      MP phongus05 ($2.82)
      CO Hero ($4.78)
      BTN kmd1072 ($2.97)
      SB shans_097 ($0.94)
      BB Prachec ($1.00)

Pre-flop: ($0.03, 7 players) Hero is CO K:spade: J:heart:
      2 folds, phongus05 raises to $0.06, Hero calls $0.06, 1 fold, shans_097 calls $0.05, Prachec calls $0.04

Flop: J:diamond: 9:diamond: 3:heart: ($0.24, 4 players)
      shans_097 checks, Prachec checks, phongus05 bets $0.10, Hero raises to $0.44, shans_097 goes all-in $0.88, Prachec folds, phongus05 calls $0.78, Hero calls $0.44

Turn: T:diamond: ($2.88, 3 players)
      phongus05 checks, Hero checks

River: 8:diamond: ($2.88, 3 players)
      phongus05 checks, Hero checks

Please comment on the way I played this hand.

Thanks

Platknuv
  • 4 replies
    • ichmagmich
      ichmagmich
      Bronze
      when u start playing that hand its ok to call the flop or mostly its right i guess.

but i would bet the turn one more time; hands that have u beat flush, A-j, Q-Q+ and two pairs

flush is rather unlikely or last he wouldn t call the all-in with the draw only, so he would have needed more, checking with the flush is no good play also i would say since your hand is likely to be even stronger and pay off a flush maybe a bit.
      A-J, Q-Q and two pairs would bet on this step one more time.
      so in my opinion u have beat all the hands that check the turn. but when u have the feeling that phongus c/r much than check behind is ok.
      but i guess u checked because u felt unhappy with the things going on, so than i have to say thats somehow a bad position but i would try to get some more value out of my hand cause i dont see a hand which beats you checking the turn. maybe fearing the flush but i think thats not likely. than checking the river is obvious.

edit: of course if you feel phongus can fear raising with really strong hands (no idea, but some persons have probs raising), than check is also correct but in my opinion you can get a bit more greedy even. but this is an example why i fold k-j very often to an open raise. i hate playing top pair without top-kicker against hard aggresion with less chips (so you get fair pot-odds).
    • platknuv
      platknuv
      Bronze
      Well, I checked the hand on the turn because of the flush and straight draw potential. I have noticed that fish often call these continuation bets on the turn when they have nothing but draws, which is great in most cases, but because of the flush and straight potential here I felt uncomfortable with possible developments on the river, also because of my bad position.
      It is correct though that at the time I had the best hand. One of my opponents had JQo (no diamonds), the other QTs so the one was all in before the turn with nothing, while the other one called with a pair of jacks and a draw with his Q after the turn..
    • ichmagmich
      ichmagmich
      Bronze
      your in position? =) so whats bad about that
      but y if you feel like this than a check is the right decision. i think if you can make a point for checking than check; if you can make a point for raising than raise. i guess its quiet equal maybe raising is a bit better, but it wont matter much and it will be much more variance that it has anyway. For myself i like to show balls from time to time, which is pretty bad so i need to find spots where it is acceptable and i think this one where someone can show balls if he feels like doing so. but its both okay for sure.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

As long as you intend on going broke against the shorty i think it's fine to protect your top pair from all the draws out there. If phongus comes over the top it's a fold, as played getting indecent odds flatting is fine.

On the turn the Td is a really crappy card for you, i think no reason to put anymore money into the pot since any of them might have you beat already.

Hope it helps.