Preflop - blinds

• RaWRpewpew
      RaWRpewpew
      Bronze
      I have a general scenario i need some help with.

Some1 raises from middle-late position and your on the blinds. Now you have a hand you might not want to play a big pot but its still a good hand (against raisers range) but your OOP postflop.

I hear 2 trains of thought,

Reraise - I dont want to play oop and want to try take the pot down right now

ColdCall - Pot control.

Some thoughts please?
  • 6 replies
    • Bierbaer
      Bierbaer
      Bronze
      What exactly is your question?

Yeah, these two:
      Originally posted by RaWRpewpew
      Reraise - I dont want to play oop and want to try take the pot down right now

ColdCall - Pot control.
      are your options.

You have to pick the one that has the highest expectation value which depends mostly on your skill and that of your opponents.
    • RaWRpewpew
      RaWRpewpew
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BierbaerYou have to pick the one that has the highest expectation value which depends mostly on your skill and that of your opponents.
      Do what is +EV...? Seems like stupid question stupid answer scenario :tongue:

The question is - what should i keep in mind when im choosing between the two. I want some things to think about when im in situations like these.
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      coldcalling is usually not a good idea if you are playing out of position, it leaves you with no idea where you are at. It is best to either reraise or fold. The most important thing to consider is how often your opponent raises and whether or not you are ahead of his range. If he is a tight player you should only reraise premium hands and fold the rest, if he is loose and aggressive you can push back at him with a wider range.

EV = expected value, a way of measuring the long term profitability of a move.
    • RaWRpewpew
      RaWRpewpew
      Bronze
      Originally posted by delete461EV = expected value, a way of measuring the long term profitability of a move.
      I know what EV is - I was simply saying that saying do w/e is +EV is not a answer. (stupid question stupid answer scenario :p)

So, try take iniative away from opponent preflop oop. Gotcha :s_cool:
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      If you do consider a coldcall then you have to be prepared to bluff raise a cbet every so often.

IF you simply coldcall then play fit or fold you will present the villain with a very profitable situation where he can simply cbet/fold.

3betting is the simpler option but if you have some good postflop reads on the villain a call might be posssible.
    • racenutalways
      racenutalways
      Bronze
      Simple, hands you don't want to see the flop with, re-raise, and a big one, if he re-raises, you fold. Big hands, you trap. Mixing it up at all times. And like smiley said, call with the intention of check raising him.