Another database for another variant?

• Ejeckt
      Ejeckt
      Bronze
      Would it be advisable to have a seperate database for other poker variants? Right now I'm a FL player, but I do intend to get into and learn NL soon.

I guess I have a datamining problem (I datamine almost 24/7, sometimes on 2 comupters if there's enough tables) :P So I'm asking... should I just keep everything in one database, even though the hands will run into millions, or create seperate, smaller databases? How does database size affect performance? Cause I really don't wanna wait ages for reports, HUD, whatever to load.

I use HEM, btw.
  • 5 replies
    • netsrak
      netsrak
      Gold
      HM supports millions of hands per database. But you should purge mined hands regularly.
      For example: you delete all mined hands older than 2 months, the stats will remain in your database, only the hands are deleted.

And you should vacuum/full analyze and reindex your database regularly.

If you follow this you should have no problems with having everything in one database.
    • ronekinky
      ronekinky
      Silver
      "I guess I have a datamining problem (I datamine almost 24/7, sometimes on 2 comupters if there's enough tables)"

LOL.

i suggest u learn the game and stop being a nerd. u dont need 22000hands on your opponent.
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi Ejeckt,

Please just be aware that a lot of the poker platforms are now stamping down on people who blatantly data mine, PokerStars & Full Tilt have already taken actions and others are likely to follow.

The consequences for being found to datamine can be extremely severe with the possibility of having your account suspended and your bankroll impounded or even lost altogether.

It really isn't worth the risk. As ronekinky has already indicated, you should receive more than sufficient data from just playing normally at tables.

Just wanted to ensure that you are aware of the risks.

Best regards,

Bart
    • Ejeckt
      Ejeckt
      Bronze
      Thanks for the insight. Though I'm not datamining to have 22000 hands on every player, I do like to have at least something on some of the players as I sit down. So I mine various limits and various variants.

Yeah I know that Stars and Tilt don't allow datamining. What's the status on Party and iPoker, though?

Well it's given me something to think about at least. It's strange, though. I play on Stars just as much as Party, and I'm getting about the same results on both sites, even though one is [excessivley] mined, and the other not at all.

Hmm...
    • Alafoe
      Alafoe
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EagleStar88
      Hi Ejeckt,

Please just be aware that a lot of the poker platforms are now stamping down on people who blatantly data mine, PokerStars & Full Tilt have already taken actions and others are likely to follow.

The consequences for being found to datamine can be extremely severe with the possibility of having your account suspended and your bankroll impounded or even lost altogether.

It really isn't worth the risk. As ronekinky has already indicated, you should receive more than sufficient data from just playing normally at tables.

Just wanted to ensure that you are aware of the risks.

Best regards,

Bart
      I am big fan of these steps of poker platforms against such minners! Theyr bankrolls should be confiscated and this opinion I am trying to present not only on this forum but also when talking to the platforms support.