Home Games

• duchart
      duchart
      Bronze
      Hey I am getting the guys I work with together for a home game tonight. We are just going to play some straight up Texas Holdem for the first game that we are all together.

What would be some good variations or other side pot type games that one can throw into the mix?

I think we might do a side pot for best hand of the night.

I also thought a bounty type game might also be good in the future.

Thanks!

duchart
  • 10 replies
    • richard1817
      richard1817
      Bronze
      omaha at the end when every1s deep stacked.... chips will fly if u hav had a few
    • duchart
      duchart
      Bronze
      anyone have anything else?

i dont believe your home games are as boring as just playing Holdem. Come on guys side games feed me a few.

thanks,
    • AlexanderD22
      AlexanderD22
      Bronze
      Originally posted by duchart

i dont believe your home games are as boring as just playing Holdem. Come on guys side games feed me a few.

thanks,
      Obviously you need the 7-2 side pot. Gets even more fun after a few drinks, people get willing to splash to get it. Plus its fun when someone admits they folded a monster.

I like to throw in some RAZZ since its pretty straight forward.

My favorite but some people find it hard to understand is Badugi.
    • Jdz
      Jdz
      Bronze
      Razz is a good option, as AlexD said it's also pretty straight forward.
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AlexanderD22
      Originally posted by duchart

thanks,
      Obviously you need the 7-2 side pot. Gets even more fun after a few drinks, people get willing to splash to get it. Plus its fun when someone admits they folded a monster.
      Exactly what I was going to say.

If you don't know, then the idea is that someone should win a hand with 7-2.
    • kosmonaut111
      kosmonaut111
      Bronze
      We have been playing NL holdem and its enough entertaining at first. /-2 bounty is very good. When you are shorthanded (3-6 ppl) , you may try pineapple (think it was the name) where everyone is dealt 3 cards instead of 2 but before the betting begins, everyone has to realease one of their cards. It gives a lot more action. Also to create action, omaha is good too.
      In HSP , they made few rounds that winner has to show one card, it made the thing also a bit more interesting.
      About side bets: in High stakes poker, they are betting on everything - you can bet on who wins a hand, who has the best hand etc.

Also I have some questions about home games:
      What is good tournament structure for home games (for about 6 players) ?

We have a 500pc chipset (150 red, 150 white, 100 blue, 50 green, 50 black). What are good nominations for tournament and for cash ?

Rake: we have a "poker club" :P , and want to give some to it (for buying new carddecks etc.). What is the easiest way to do it in cash games. I think that good and simple way is that everyone give 10% of their buyin right in the start. But it has some disadvantages: if 100BB is min. buyin, but someone would like to buy in for 200BB, he must give 20BB, but still plays 100-200BB effectively. One way is that buyin is 100BB and no other amount. Taking rake from every pot takes too much time.
      So can someone reccomend some good way to take rake?
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kosmonaut111
      Rake: we have a "poker club" :P , and want to give some to it (for buying new carddecks etc.). What is the easiest way to do it in cash games. I think that good and simple way is that everyone give 10% of their buyin right in the start. But it has some disadvantages: if 100BB is min. buyin, but someone would like to buy in for 200BB, he must give 20BB, but still plays 100-200BB effectively. One way is that buyin is 100BB and no other amount. Taking rake from every pot takes too much time.
      So can someone reccomend some good way to take rake?
      Just make a foxed prize for each man every time you meet? That would be the easiest thing I believe.
    • duchart
      duchart
      Bronze
      Thanks guys we are planning on getting together after work tomorrow so i will run some of these things by them.

any more games out there?
    • Skeat
      Skeat
      Bronze
      Don't know if you read this articles about live poker. If not, they are worth checking before your home game.

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/live-poker/#basic
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      You can bet on the color of the flop, e.g. you get two red cards and bet 3bb on black, someone takes the bet, and if the flop brings two or more black cards, you win. Or you could spice it up and bet on full red/full black. If someone takes the bet and you win, he pays you 10x your bet. Especially fun if you know that the odds of an all-black flop are 12.48% when you're holding two red cards. Or you could even kick it up by betting on 3-suited flop. If someone accepts and the flop comes :spade: :spade: :spade: , you get paid 20x your bet. Also here, the odds are in your favor.

Alternatively, try cheating. It saves time.