freeroll strategy

• MrGoodHurt
      MrGoodHurt
      Bronze
      Is there a starting hand chart for freerolls, or what? I know I saw an article that touched on the subject,

How does your play change from before the flop to on the flop, to the turn and river? Basic strategy?
  • 14 replies
    • Cpwpoker
      Cpwpoker
      Bronze
      Play the same way as tournments but a bit tighter.

Or

All-in 1st hand xD !

lol every time i get in a freeroll i do this lol...

Don't follow my example xD
    • fakedurrr
      fakedurrr
      Bronze
      ABC poker, but it also depends on opponent, but usually ABC poker, u can find some better players on freerols 1k+ but not so usually, u will meet bad players most of the time or weak tight which are the bst opponents for me caue they are eay to steal blinds from
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi MrGoodHurt,

I agree totally with (the first part only) of what cpw advised.

If your serious about playing freerolls properly with the best possible chance of cashing, play exactly as per the MTT/Tournament guides in the strategy section, except for the early stages, where I suggest ultra tight (QQ+ or AK only).

In freerolls, a lot of very weak players will shove allin frequently at the start of the tournament with any two cards. They will often catch cards, straights/flushes etc and you will find yourself in a pot with 4/5 others.
      Only play QQ+/AK or even just KK/AA only in this early stage.

Once the super aggressive fish have donked out (& they will), the tournament reverts back towards a standard tournament and your play can adjust accordingly.

Good luck, best regards,

Bart
    • Cpwpoker
      Cpwpoker
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EagleStar88
      Hi MrGoodHurt,

I agree totally with (the first part only) of what cpw advised.

If your serious about playing freerolls properly with the best possible chance of cashing, play exactly as per the MTT/Tournament guides in the strategy section, except for the early stages, where I suggest ultra tight (QQ+ or AK only).

In freerolls, a lot of very weak players will shove allin frequently at the start of the tournament with any two cards. They will often catch cards, straights/flushes etc and you will find yourself in a pot with 4/5 others.
      Only play QQ+/AK or even just KK/AA only in this early stage.

Once the super aggressive fish have donked out (& they will), the tournament reverts back towards a standard tournament and your play can adjust accordingly.

Good luck, best regards,

Bart
      The bold phrase - he was talking about me lol.

If you need more info watch the SNG MTT video this will help you a lot ^_^
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      haha meant players holding weak hands or those like cpw who look to double or bust early on just for clarification.

Not calling cpw a weak player ;)

Oh and only my opinion/style of playing freerolls, others may feel differently.

Best regards,

Bart
    • soonish
      soonish
      Bronze
      I think if you know how to play pre flop it s best to play a lot of hand pre flop in position (only) because you can get pay pretty easy with your big hand. It s all about playing fast your big hand IMO... I think that playin tight early on is just not a good strategy for freeroll as the blind go up very fast. You can t just wait for AA to come because if you run out of card you going to have to gamble anyway...
    • Cpwpoker
      Cpwpoker
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EagleStar88
      haha meant players holding weak hands or those like cpw who look to double or bust early on just for clarification.

Not calling cpw a weak player ;)

Oh and only my opinion/style of playing freerolls, others may feel differently.

Best regards,

Bart
      lol i know was just joking :P

My humble fishy humour.

For now not playing SnG or Tournaments want to be good on cash game first.
    • MrGoodHurt
      MrGoodHurt
      Bronze
      How do I avoid playing "WEAK TIGHT" ?? The worst is, when I catch myself folding too many hands, and i would have ended up making the best hand or the nutz. Then that sends me on tilt.

There is always a guy on my left who is S.S. and I make the mistake of folding my 6, 4 and knocking him out! Grrr
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      You're welcome.

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/mtt/1558/
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      You should also take into account that because you are playing a freeroll the standard of play (especially early on) will be poor e.g. lots of limpers who subsequently call raises, playing A5 like it was a monster etc.

This is because freerolls attract beginners, players with no bank rolls becaue they were too bad to hang onto one, and people with nothing better to do........
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      open shove/reshove 88+,AJ+ and fold everything else I played a 10 cent rebuy on FTP this way and almost won ?(
    • sufix645
      sufix645
      Bronze
      play maximal tight and when you get get a good hand, bet like 4-5 BB, and try to get your oponent go All-in, it makes him to start do mistakes, but be sure you have good hands, becouse there is crazy ppl out there too :P
      allmost won like that, but in the end done some dumb things. btw.. Ill always fold JJ - my most unlucky hand :D
    • soonish
      soonish
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sufix645

but in the end done some dumb things. btw.. Ill always fold JJ - my most unlucky hand :D
      With all your respect that s retarded
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      I finished 7th in a $1000 freeroll tournament last week winning $22. A total of over 4500 player entered.

How did i play?

You have to play tight. i didn't only play QQ+ but i didn't play loose either. i can easily fold and A-Q for example before the flop. because sometimes its just not worth risking it.

The problem is. The one i played the blinds rise every 5 mins. which means in about 15mins you are forced to be all in even if you didn't play any hands. So you do have to get lucky quite a few times to get far. But playing tight is also very important. Because the blinds were so high it was very hard to use any strategy to be honest. because usualy i would have 5-10 BB. around 50 ppl left i usualy had 2-10 BB, the nr 1 had maybe 20BB usualy. so when i finaly reached the final table i didn't have many chips. I only had 2-3 BB so the only thing i could really do is go all in. i had 2 BB left and got a K-10 suited on the button, not a hand you want to risk all your chips on ofcourse but if i folded then i would be forced to go all in when i had the BB. Unfortunately my luck ended there and i busted 7th place.

its funny though because the person who finished second place was on the same table as me when there were roughly 50 people left. and he got lucky so many times its just rediculous. when there were 18 left he made a bad play and got lucky on the river. So the best player definetly doesn't always win. Some players like him just get lucky the whole time. And although i did win about all the coinflips i never won on the river or something.

So yeah.. play tight and aggressive when you need to. when you have a decent amount of chips remember you don't have to call someone's all in. even if you have a really strong hand like A-Q you can just fold it because you don't need to get lucky but can just watch flops and use strategy. hope this helps ;)