Hard decision: FL, CG, SnG, DoN or MTT? FR, SH or HU?

• Skeat
      Skeat
      Bronze
      Hi all.

I got to pokerstrategy trough a friend using the TaF program.
      Before the quiz I had to choose what I would like to learn so that I could answer the quiz. I chose SSS back then, as I found that NL cash games would be packed with adrenaline. Well, It was nice, but not what I was expecting, at least with SSS (have yet to try out BSS).

Recently I bought some poker books, like:

The Poker Mindset (already read it)
      Phil Gordon's Little Green Book (also read it)
      The Theory of Poker (reading atm)
      No Limit Hold'em: Theory and Practice
      HoH 1
      HoH 2
      Ho Cash game 1
      Ho Cash game 2

Well, after reading those 2 books, playing some SnGs and MTTs I can't find what is the best for me atm (money and fun/adrenalin-wise)

What did you guys looked into to make your decision on which type of game to play?

My opinion on the current types so far are:

1. Fixed Limit

Never tried it out, thought it could be boring with limited bets, but seeing a lot of player's blogs making profit there made it really atractive. As for now, I don't know if it is boring, as I still have to play it.

2. No Limit SSS:

Feels too much like grinding imo, and I think it isnt that profitable.

3. No Limit BSS:

I have still to try it out, need to learn more from articles/videos/books. I think this is the most common cash game type.

4. SnG's:

Currently playing only the $1.2 at PokerStars. Its quite nice to have to keep changing your game style according to blind leves, players left, etc. Had some nice runs in there, but I read it isnt worth at these stackes because of the rake. And I already read what a player said, that SnG's are only profitable if you can handle to multitable them.

5. DoN's:

I read that some players said it could be good for BRB and clearing bonuses, but I dont know much about them, cant find coaching/articles anything about information that could help me. Like if I should aim for the Turbos or Regular ones, etc.

6. MTT's:

High variance, lacking experience on them so far, but I guess that even after finding my game type, I'll play MTT's on sundays at least, to change a bit from the usual type.

Thanks for all that took the time to read it, and even more for those who are going to post some much needed information =D
      And if what I think about the types above differ from what you think about them, please post what is different for you.

If any more experienced winning player wants to take their time to talk with me over skype or so, to change some ideas or even make some session reviews, I would be really very thankful.

PS: My english is in fact my third language, so I'm sorry if I didn't wrote things like it should be done.
  • 11 replies
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      play whatever u want although i would not recomend mtts. u probally play too low limits to make/lose significant money anyway
    • deVall3y
      deVall3y
      Bronze
      playing cash with a big stack is what most consider "real" poker.
      limit has tons of variance. some consider it boring some not.
      sng's are good to grind but not very much exciting. improving at them consists mostly of learning technical information (ICM basically). only when you get to a decent limit and there are ton of regs, then starts the guessing and adaption game.
      MTT's look like a ton of fun to me. you start with a big cash game stack and also play mid\shortstacked so its like everything in one package, and the hope of making big money is exciting i would believe. you have to be able to play for long periods of time though
      the reason I play sng's is because I didnt really understand anything at that time, picked sng's, and eventually became good at them so it was hard for me to switch. sng's are my main game but im learning hu cash and MTT's and its tons of fun
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      i play BSS b/c i also think its real poker
    • Skeat
      Skeat
      Bronze
      Thanks for the replies so far.

I do agree that SSS and DoNs arent "real" poker, but it still needs skill to master those.

Atm it looks like ill grind DoN's for a bit, to get my BR to $200~$500, and then I'll have to decide between SnGs, Cash game BSS or Fixed limit. Grinding SnG would be nice at higher stakes, as it could provide a higher income then most jobs do. Cash game BSS I still have to learn, Fixed Limit also. Why are there so many poker blogs about sucessful FL players? Makes it interesting and atractive.

MTT's I'll probably keep as fun, as I do enjoy them, but can't stand the variance atm.

And once I do find the type of game, still have to choose between FR, SH and HU. Any tips on that?
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      less player=+varience
      your choice though
    • enemaze
      enemaze
      Bronze
      I thought FL was gonna be boring as well, and all the calling stations will take my money through bad beats. But i gave it a shot and i was astonished to find how badly people play at lower limits. It's a goldmine if you play solid ABC poker.

Not that the average NL player at lower limits is a lot better, but playing FL is a lot less intuitive than NL. Anyway I like FL because of the many fish, the mistakes are a lot less costly than NL, a FR game isnt too swingy (SH is supposed to be pretty swingy but havent played SH yet), and you can mathematically calculate the right decision without the pressure of losing your entire stack.
    • Skeat
      Skeat
      Bronze
      As for now I'm leaning towards playing DoNs until I clear my bonuses, then give it a try at FL and NL BSS.

Any more hints/tips/ideas? Would appreciate those =D
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      If you play FL, sooner or later you'll have to start playing 6max, because in FR players are tight and there is less traffic. If you will play 6max, you'll face huge variance. And the winrate is lower in bb/100 than in NL. That's why I don't like FL. Take a look at opal's blog if you haven't looked at it Opal's scale to success (maybe the end of career)
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      I have a little strange opinion regarding what to play... play them all!!! I don't like SSS and DoN's(never played one though) and i am probably a huge fish at HU. Rest of them are more or less ok. I played SnGs for a while then switched to NL SH then to FL then i switched back to SnGs somehow from accident. I was trying to explain to someone the very basics of playing them and i realised that the players were incredibly bad. First time i played them felt like they were super nitty and hard to beat... NOT! I ran pretty sick at them and i'm up like 50BI in 2 weeks.
      So switching helps because you find out where you make the most money. And i suppose you can make money in any type of game if you play micro/small stakes.

PS: There's nothing more nice then losing at cash games until you go crazy and then cash in a big MTT where you get back all your losses and something extra.
    • KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      SSS is the best way to ease yourself into the NL mindset at least that's how I learned to control myself because when I first started FR-BSS I was very bad post flop yet my Preflop play was great, so I went back to SSS and as I started improving my game wouldn't you know my BR just kept growing and growing. Finally it was big enough from the $50 where I had about 1K which gave me confidence and major Bankroll protection to learn SH-BSS... anyways best of luck to which ever you choose! :f_biggrin:
    • racenutalways
      racenutalways
      Bronze
      It's entirely in one's personality I would think. Fixed Limit is about odds, if you understand them, you'll profit. I recommend playing full ring no limit, most profitable and plenty of traffic all hours of the day. Sng's are a blast, play them to take a break from the routine and honing your skills in one game while mastering the other. I play BSS NL 90% of the time, on downswings I'll play SnGs, Omaha or 7 card stud. Poker is a great game with variety, it's up to you to find your way!!!
      MTTs are high variance, you may have to play plenty of tournaments to win one.
      Cash game is a game of patience, if you like a lot of action then 6 man is for you. If you like less variance, full ring is ideal. SSS is easy to learn and can be profitable if you don't mind winning 20BBs at a time, you need to be tight or you will get killed by the big stacks, they like to gamble 20BBs with 44+,KQs+. So if you play JJ+, AQ+, you win over the long run. If you play SnGs, prepare yourself for an emotional roller coaster ride. Have tilt under control and you will undoubtedly be successful.
      Also, cash games generate more frequent player points, it is easier to clear bonuses.