fold, Hero raises to $0.40, BTN calls $0.40, fold, fold

FLOP ($0.95) 9:club: 7:spade: K:club:

Hero bets $0.80, BTN calls $0.80

TURN ($2.55) 9:club: 7:spade: K:club: J:heart:

Hero bets $2, BTN calls $2

RIVER ($6.55) 9:club: 7:spade: K:club: J:heart: 8:spade:

Hero checks, BTN bets $6.23, Hero folds

BTN wins $6.23

I had only 25 hands on this guy, but after them he had 33/8/2.3 so seemed like a calling station to me. I fired second barrel only 'cause there was gutshot straight there and thought he had flush draw and will just fold it. On river i've felt totally beat, so went for check/fold.
  • 2 replies
    • Ihaf
      Ihaf
      Bronze
      2.3 aggression is a bit high for a calling station, (even with a small sample) with those stats I would say villain is your typical fish with a tendency to be aggressive when you show weakness.

Pre and post flop are fine. If the river wasn't a 8, A, or a club I would c/c river.

The reasoning behind your second barrel seems contradictory. Your read on villain is he is a calling station, yet you expect him to fold draws on the turn.

The reason you fire the 2nd barrel is because; your hand has improved (you picked up a gutshot), your hand is still probably good, and your OOP and want to get to showdown.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Pretty much agree again with above poster. Those stats are still non-specific over 25 hands.

Turn bet would be good against calling stations, not because they would fold their draws (tho it's always nice when you're out of position as it simplifies the hand), but mostly because they would call with it against the odds, giving you tons of value. Against that guy it's probably not as good but still viable, without a better read we can't really fault it.

As played the river is probably a fold given that Tx is definitely in his range and so are most of the two pairs combos out there, but Ihaf as a good point when he says that on a blank river he might randomly bluff missed stuff there. Until you know better about your opponent tho, don't start making hero calls there for 60+bb imo.

Hope it helps.