DoN early/mid strategy play ajs+

• donroops
      donroops
      Bronze
      Correct me if i'm totally off the mark here, but is it profitable to play hands like aj+ early to mid stages of the tournament? I've just been thinking on it recently as i attempted to move up to the $10 dons'. It seems that i'm investing way too much with a raise to win what isn't going to help me much. If i'm hitting tptk 1/3 of the time and taking down the pot there and then, as you rarely getting paid off with tptk, im gaining maybe 10% of my initial stack. The other 2/3 im usually check/fold to avoid investing in the pot, maybe i'm too passive here. But if i'm to cbet, again i've had to invest a whole lot in this pot at such an early stage. I can understand it in other sngs and cash, but your chips are worth so much less in dons that it seems hardly worth raising aqs from mp first in.
      As i said, maybe i'm missing something very obvious.
  • 4 replies
    • SuperSeanE
      SuperSeanE
      Global
      Hi there
      I used to play the 10 dollar Dons 6-12 at a time. I think you have picked up on a key issue here for DON strategy. I believe that in the early stages you should just muck aj- a2 from early and mid position. Even in later position a fold i acceptable if the blind are in the early stages. There is one simple reason for this. Most of the value from playing DONs for low stakes is that many of the players are willing to play marginal hands in the early levels and bust each other out. If you are playing super tight early on often by the mid blind stage their will be 7-8 players left. Here at this level you start to open up your range and play hands like aj.

However in the first 2 blind levels i often take flops with weak hands. However at these times I am not opening pots with raises with hands like aj. For example I play be on the button at 10/20 blind stage and someone UTG opens for 60 and there is 4 callers. If I have drawing hands here like suited connectors I may take a flop and simple pass if I do ot hit a monster. This can sometimes create marginal decisions and I feel should be avoided most of the time.

Th last thing you want in a DON is to get aj in early position in the first blind level and raise. Then to have a single caller. The flop is A67 and your bet is raised. These marginal decisions should be avoided at all costs in DONS as our goal is always to sneak into 5th position and avoid confrontation whenever possible.

Remember the main reason for a player having a -ROI in DONs is that they finish 10th- 8th far to often simply beacuse they get involved out of position with hands like AJ and hit one pair and get stacked.

By the way see my person profile I have just started a group for DONS players. Aiming at improving our games through discvussion like this
    • sk345di
      sk345di
      Global
      Early on i tend not to play hands like AJ or AQ. You are never called by a worst hand and the blinds aren't worth stealing. So you will just get in trouble with those hands. I even sometimes fold AK if there are too many limpers in the pot already before me. The biggest value you can get here is to fold and watch the fishes knock each other out.
    • donroops
      donroops
      Bronze
      Ye, think i'm going to change my play a little by folding aj aq more, and playing ak occasionally if the situation is right.
    • Vargan
      Vargan
      Bronze
      Play only AA and KK untill the first ante, then you can add QQ and AKs.

The second ante is push/fold mode usually.