odds, pot odds, implied pot odds etc.

• Frirkh
      Frirkh
      Bronze
      Hi, i am a beginner and i am finding it quite difficult to calculate all these things in such a short time. I have a couple o simple question about this.

1. are there any programs where you can train to calculate these things quickly.

2. how did you get good at calculating? Was it simlpy by doing in real play or are there any other methods that you may know about?
  • 3 replies
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Frirkh
      Hi, i am a beginner and i am finding it quite difficult to calculate all these things in such a short time. I have a couple o simple question about this.

1. are there any programs where you can train to calculate these things quickly.

2. how did you get good at calculating? Was it simlpy by doing in real play or are there any other methods that you may know about?
      1. it's very easy math, you should be able to do it without progs.

2. I am not. I just can do the simple calculations which are necessary. Practise it and it comes more natural.

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      The calculations needed for beginner poker are quiet simple:

If opponent bets half pot or close to half you have correct odds to make a call. This also counts for any raises.

Example... you have a flush draw... you bet 70 cents into 1$ for semi-bluff.. he min-raises you... you have correct odds.

This is because flush and straight draw are roughly 1/3 from flop to river. Turn to river are lower.

Implied are also not very hard. Implied odds are usually quiet big from one street to the next if your draw is not visible. Hence flush draw odds are very low if you c/c but they are higher if your aggressive in the draw.
      Double gut shots implied odds are very high for example.

Implieds are usually 2/3 of pot size on the turn.. so they make a lot of calls profitable, unless your drawing for like a flush.

Hence it does not take long to learn.... the moment you start really trying to calculate the exact implied odds etc. your over thinking already. Estimates are enough.
    • AugustusCaesar
      AugustusCaesar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Frirkh

Basically all you need is the simpliest thing -> 1 card is 2% on one street, so for example you have a flush draw that is 9 cards to hit (13 in the deck - 2 in your hand - 2 on board), so you have 9 cards *2 to hit the turn * 2 to hit the river = 36% to hit a flush by river .. Of course this is estimation but works just fine .. Some more exact calculations can be found in the strategy section, and you have softwares like Equilator (http://www.pokerstrategy.com/software/6/) that can calculate it exactly

Get good at calculating -> Play some games at http://www.lumosity.com (http://www.lumosity.com/brain_attribute_categories/problem-solving) :f_cool:

Implied odds are very relative, so it is tought to calculate them exactly as you never know how much will your opponent be able to invest