Stack
      MP3:
      $5,00
      Hero:
      $5,97
      BU:
      $14,96

0,02/0,04 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:spade: , K:club:
      MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $0,12, Hero raises to $0,36, BU calls $0,36, 2 folds, MP3 calls $0,24.

Flop: ($1,14) K:heart: , 6:diamond: , 4:club: (3 players)
      MP3 bets $0,46, Hero raises to $2,20, BU folds, MP3 raises to $4,63, Hero calls $2,43.

Turn: ($10,40) 3:diamond: (2 players)
      MP3 raises $0,01 (All-In), Hero calls $0,01.

River: ($10,42) A:heart: (2 players)

Final Pot: $10,42

Didn't have the stats while I played, so the opponent was unknown to me. Is it right to go broke there? Or how should I've played this? Calling such a dry flop and raising turn or even calling blank turn again would be better?
  • 2 replies
    • Ihaf
      Ihaf
      Bronze
      Since you said villain was unknown at the time, I'll treat him as unknown as well.

Against unknowns, treat them as bad players until they prove you otherwise.

Preflop is standard, on the flop you get donked into. At this point, you can make an assumption that villain is bad. No good player would donk or bet half pot there. It is probably a probe bet some bad players do to see where they are at with their marginal holdings.

Raising pot on the flop is the best option, you have a good hand and want to get value for it, protect against hands he called preflop with, and punish those donk bets.

Calling the flop is okay if villain donk bet something reasonable like $0.70+. However, his donk bet is just too weak that calling just allows his marginal holdings to get a cheap turn card, the pot won't build up, and your missing value from his weaker pairs.

After villain 3bets you on the flop, just 4bet ship the last cent in. I'm not folding TPTK in a 3bet pot against an unknown getting more than 3:1. After the hand make a note of what he has for him to take that line and adjust.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by Ihaf
      Since you said villain was unknown at the time, I'll treat him as unknown as well.

Against unknowns, treat them as bad players until they prove you otherwise.

Preflop is standard, on the flop you get donked into. At this point, you can make an assumption that villain is bad. No good player would donk or bet half pot there. It is probably a probe bet some bad players do to see where they are at with their marginal holdings.

Raising pot on the flop is the best option, you have a good hand and want to get value for it, protect against hands he called preflop with, and punish those donk bets.

Calling the flop is okay if villain donk bet something reasonable like $0.70+. However, his donk bet is just too weak that calling just allows his marginal holdings to get a cheap turn card, the pot won't build up, and your missing value from his weaker pairs.

After villain 3bets you on the flop, just 4bet ship the last cent in. I'm not folding TPTK in a 3bet pot against an unknown getting more than 3:1. After the hand make a note of what he has for him to take that line and adjust.
      Pretty much all of this. If you've seen that player be generally aggressive before you might consider raising less than pot to let him think he can 3bet you off your hand if he shoves, but against a complete unknown there is pretty much no other way to play that hand. Going broke with TPTK in a 3bet pot is never a mistake against an unknown, say it until you believe it. NH.

Hope it helps.