This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

donkbets on flop

• Ejeckt
      Ejeckt
      Bronze
      In a HU situation, when an unknown donks on a dry board and you've got 1 or 2 overcards, or a draw yourself, do you switch to playing according to odds and outs, as a default? Basically what I'm asking is... what is the default assumption when an unknown donks on a dry flop (or a draw heavy flop, for that matter)?
  • 3 replies
    • DarthBobo
      DarthBobo
      Bronze
      This entire post is vs fish. Cause if a TAG donks you headsup, that's rather unusual or it's just a really bad TAG (or multitabling whore that has hit the board). If a TAG donks, observe his play well and make a note.

So against fish, in my experience it's usually any pair. It can also be a pocket pair.

However on more drawheavy flops fish sometimes donk a flushdraw. And on a paired board some players like to donk as well cause it looks scary :)

In any case, you play on odds and outs. You raised preflop (cause else a donk wouldn't be possible :D ) so the pot allows you to call the flop whenever you get 4-5 clean outs depending on the type of opponent (see platinum articles).
    • Ejeckt
      Ejeckt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DarthBobo
      (see platinum articles).
      I'm quite a long way off from getting to those ;) Maybe at the next limit if I put in some volume.

Thanks for the insight though :f_grin:
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Usually a donkbet isn't too strong so with a hand with showdownvalue you may even see a showdown. If you have Q-high or lower you can call once and fold the turn unimproved.
      Donkbets on paired boards are pretty often bluffs so syou should be very showdownbound here.