donkbets on flop

• Ejeckt
      Ejeckt
      Bronze
      In a HU situation, when an unknown donks on a dry board and you've got 1 or 2 overcards, or a draw yourself, do you switch to playing according to odds and outs, as a default? Basically what I'm asking is... what is the default assumption when an unknown donks on a dry flop (or a draw heavy flop, for that matter)?
  • 3 replies
    • DarthBobo
      DarthBobo
      Bronze
      This entire post is vs fish. Cause if a TAG donks you headsup, that's rather unusual or it's just a really bad TAG (or multitabling whore that has hit the board). If a TAG donks, observe his play well and make a note.

So against fish, in my experience it's usually any pair. It can also be a pocket pair.

However on more drawheavy flops fish sometimes donk a flushdraw. And on a paired board some players like to donk as well cause it looks scary :)

In any case, you play on odds and outs. You raised preflop (cause else a donk wouldn't be possible :D ) so the pot allows you to call the flop whenever you get 4-5 clean outs depending on the type of opponent (see platinum articles).
    • Ejeckt
      Ejeckt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DarthBobo
      (see platinum articles).
      I'm quite a long way off from getting to those ;) Maybe at the next limit if I put in some volume.

Thanks for the insight though :f_grin:
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Usually a donkbet isn't too strong so with a hand with showdownvalue you may even see a showdown. If you have Q-high or lower you can call once and fold the turn unimproved.
      Donkbets on paired boards are pretty often bluffs so syou should be very showdownbound here.