pissing against the wind

• raun
      raun
      Bronze
      doesn anybody else feel like playing poker with us dollars while the dollar is falling is like pissing against the wind?
      i think i loose at least 100$ to this a month
  • 10 replies
    • Bierbaer
      Bierbaer
      Bronze
      There are 2 options:
      1. You're playing the microlimits totally overrolled with hundreds of stacks.
      -> cash out a part of your BR and put it into a bank account in the currency of your country.

2. You're playing on small/mid/highstakes but you are a breakeven-rakebot so your bankroll stagnates and effectively gets smaller because the US-$ decreases in value.
      -> Move down or get skills.
    • Ejeckt
      Ejeckt
      Bronze
      Definitely. Though my BR has increased over the months, if I cash out now, I can buy less that what I could have gotten a few months ago, with a smaller BR. I'd exchange to South African Rands. Sucks that the Rand is getting stronger and USD getting weaker.

Bah, economics.
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ejeckt
      Definitely. Though my BR has increased over the months, if I cash out now, I can buy less that what I could have gotten a few months ago, with a smaller BR. I'd exchange to South African Rands. Sucks that the Rand is getting stronger and USD getting weaker.

Bah, economics.
      don't worry, you're now playing with lower value dollars, so you are risking less - if you want to keep up, wager more? A $25 SNG from a couple of years ago is only a $20 SNG for me now. Over 10 years it's gone from $25 to $15 - just kills our economy.

Do I want to buy anything from the US now? .thanks guys, printing money must be fun - even the Canadian gov is selling US bonds. /rant
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Bierbaer
      There are 2 options:
      1. You're playing the microlimits totally overrolled with hundreds of stacks.
      -> cash out a part of your BR and put it into a bank account in the currency of your country.

2. You're playing on small/mid/highstakes but you are a breakeven-rakebot so your bankroll stagnates and effectively gets smaller because the US-$ decreases in value.
      -> Move down or get skills.
      no you misunderstand. i play nl 200+nl 400 and i make a nice profit overall.
      but still its frustrating to loose some of my profit to something like this.
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      hmm well i had a look at a graph over the last 5 years or so and the dollar seem to rise around the months january to spring.

i dont know anything about economics but i am hoping that the dollar will rise like 15% around nwe year or spring and then i am going to cash out a good part of my roll.
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      Play on a euro site :)
    • shortfuse
      shortfuse
      Silver
      check my blog
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hey Raun,

A lot of the European sites (e.g. Mansion / Titan / betfair) offer the ability to keep your account in Euros. That way you can keep your account in € but play in dollars at the tables (you exchange the money when sitting down and back when you get up).

I think its certainly a good way to store the money away from the "Dollar variance" :)

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      shortfuse i checked your blog and it looks very interesting so i will definately try and read it through when i have the time.

@SoyCD: unfortunately i play at an american site and i am not about to switch. but that would certainly be the easiest way to aviod it.

the dollar is so low now though that i think it would be crazy to exchange it now. it cant keep falling for much more time i think.
    • csnmf
      csnmf
      Global
      Sure it can keep falling i am sure quite a few people here remember when it was $2 to 1 pound now it's 1.65 (can't remember what the low was) and i am sure we were all loving it watching our bankrolls grow by not even playing.

When you get that big of a swing it has a big effect on even a $1k bankroll nothing to do with what bierbaer said. You have two options either keep your bankroll in a currency other than USD or try not to think about it. I like to think of it as variance and will even out in the end no point to speculate as that would be pure gambling.