Can i fold a set on 35T rainbow?

• JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      I limp in from MP (lets not discuss this limping here, sometimes i openraise from MP1, sometimes i feel like limping, even though it might not be the best)
      with my 33.

its fold to blinds and SB completes BB checks.

Flop 35T rainbow.

BB is multitabling regular decent player. We are both 150bbs deep.
      He leads out. I raise. He 3bets. I 4bet he pushes.

Now im like wtf. He would raise TT+ preflop. The only card he could have is 55.

Can i consider folding? He knows i limped from MP and he know im regular as well. Therefore he must know im so often having set here. But can i 4bet/fold my set?:D
  • 15 replies
    • noclaninator
      noclaninator
      Bronze
      If you know he is multitabling you could even fold to the 3bet. You don't have to play 4bet/fold, you could even fold the set right there. Thinking about it, it seems super super weak but if you can't beat anything, why play?
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      Originally posted by noclaninator
      Thinking about it, it seems super super weak but if you can't beat anything, why play?
      Yea that was my thought when i saw im beat.. Why to push into higher set when i know he has to have it.

I guess its easier to fold it in theory than when playing though. =)

Its the damn automization. I see the set on the flop = im all in no matter what. Thinking about every single situation for the win.....
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Why raise the flop then if you don't plan to get it in?
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      I would never fold this. how many bb's did you have left?

Maybe he has T5, T3 or 53 and doesn't think you have a set because you would normally raise as a regular. Or he misclicked-checked a big pair and doesn't want to fold. Or he has 55 :D

Why 4 bet him btw?
    • LetchLord
      LetchLord
      Bronze
      I vote for the call here. Why does he have to have a higher set? He can hold any two cards and I'd put him on 2 pairs and make the call.

He may also hold something like 24 or 46 and is trying his fold equity...

May be my thinking is wrong, but I'd appreciate it if you could clarify why do you have to put him on a higher set?
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      you should have pushed it before he did.

when he 4-bets shove it makes you seriously uncomfortable i agree and it should be you making this move.

set over set is sick but you have to play this hand and then put it down to variance.

the way you played it you can fold if you are not commited by the time you have made the 3-bet, unless he is capable of playing TA this way.

i dont know, maybe he has misslimped with AA.

generally sets should be going for broke
    • eszibit
      eszibit
      Bronze
      I think if he is a reg and knows u are a reg then he is def not going broke there with AA. The only situation i see where he doesn't have u beat if he is either tilting or very tired or quite bad. anyway for 150 BB that is easy broke...for 250BB then it's a bit hard :f_biggrin:
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      I don't think I ever fold with the third nuts here. You are essentially putting him on one hand and one hand only which is too small a range to put him on at nl25 (which i think is the limit you're playing. I go broke for 200 bb in this spot every time. More than that.....I might consider it.
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      Thank you guys.... I really do appreciate your insights and i feel better about the hand now ;)

To answer all your questions...

1. He might have missplayed his overpair somehow, thats true. The problem is, i see him multitabling everytime i play. I know he is solid player and i got some history with him.
      Im pretty sure he is aware of the fact that im solid player as well..
      and since i open limp MP i simply cant have any other hand to go broke with on this flop than 55 or 33.

So thats why i asume he wouldnt go broke for 150bbs with his overpair againts another regular who limped MP.

One thing that made me call is that he tried to bluff me all in in the past, but it was different situation and i dont think he would try to bluff my so obvious set.

When i got the set and he did bet on the flop, i raised thinking to myself "hmm and now he folds because he knows i got a set...."

2. The reason why I 4bet and didnt push is that we were deep and the pot was very small on the flop. I was thinking about pushing after he 3bet, but i dont think it would make any difference.

I had 18$ of my 30$stack left after 4bet.

3. Yep i play NL20 and i know its not some pro limit, but as i said the villain is solid regular.

Anyway i appreciate your replies.
      I felt really bad after this hand. I dont care about set vs set or other cooler situations anymore, because i know next time its gonna be me with the nuts.

But i feel bad when im not sure if i could have avoided it by playing better.
      Suckouts are fine, but not being sure about my play is killing me =)
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Even if he's stacking off rly tight ur good most of the time.
      Board: Tc 5d 3s

equity win tie pots won pots tied
      Hand 0: 63.131% 63.13% 00.00% 22500 0.00 { 33 }
      Hand 1: 36.869% 36.87% 00.00% 13140 0.00 { 55, T5s, T5o }

If your reraise on flop makes him fold all hands including top two then you shouldn't be reraising and just calldown.
    • Alafoe
      Alafoe
      Bronze
      Raise it next time and he may be thinking you have TT and folds his 55 after your shove :s_mad: :s_evil: :s_biggrin:

And what was the outcome? Did you call it and what was his hand?
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      I guess you guys are right about the calldown there :/

Yep i called it and he had 55 obviously =) Then we chat a bit.
      I told him i knew he had the set but i couldnt fold mine... He said he also knew i got to have set, but he wouldnt fold being at my place neither =)

Its a question if he would shove 5T.. Maybe he would.. Im probably just affected by the result.
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      Well, I think it's a very good thing you thought about folding here.
      Sign of a good player.
      I just think you couldn't fold for this amount of bb's.

Obviously he had the 55, otherwise this thread probably wouldn't exist :) .
    • TheLastNail
      TheLastNail
      Black
      u definitely could fold the hand, if it was a raised pot.. now its questionable, coz there are all the 2 p hands..

conclusion---> limping in preflop makes difficult postflop decisions.. raise your hands and play with initiative!

if it was then the play donk and rerasie and he is very solid u could with confidence already fold to his 3bet, just coz ppl on NL20 arent that funky on dry boards without the nuts.. /not telling that he s an absolutely abc player.. coz 3betting on such board.. on his part, pche, is hardly a good play there s ntg to extra protect against vs your r range.. so yup with this read, next time u can deffo fold a lot of very strong hands to his hyperaction/
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      Thank you all guys for the insight =)