[NL2-NL10] NL 10 - set v straight

• feedfest
      feedfest
      Bronze
      no stats this hand
      put him on a flush or straight draw and didn't want to let him get there cheaply

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      CO:
      $3.80
      BU:
      $4.31
      SB(Hero):
      $4.90
      BB:
      $1.81
      UTG2:
      $2.70
      MP1:
      $6.95
      MP2:
      $1.78
      MP3:
      $4.00

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8, 8.
      UTG2 folds, MP1 calls $0.10, MP2 calls $0.10, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.05, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.4) T, 8, 9 (4 players)
      Hero bets $0.30, BB calls $0.30, MP1 raises to $1.60, MP2 folds, Hero raises to $4.80, BB folds, MP1 calls $3.20.

Turn: ($10.3) 6 (0 players)
      MP1 gets uncalled bet back.

River: ($10.3) 3 (0 players)
      MP1 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $7.1.
      Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, eights(8 8).
      MP1 shows a straight, ten high(7 6).

MP1 wins with a straight, ten high(7 6).
  • 7 replies
    • rickydaprince
      rickydaprince
      Bronze
      This is NL10 right? You only have 49bb and every else on the table are pretty much short/med stacks?

Anyway, you can consider raising this preflop, otherwise OOP you won't get much value if you hit your set. His raise on the flop is actually way too high and folding is not so bad since this was an unraised pot, but if you don't want to fold your set on the flop, and think he likely plays aggressive with draws, then your play on flop was just about ok.

I personally think that's a bad flop to get it in... but OOP you don't have much choice if you don't plan on folding your set.
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      Frist off all: rebuy... play with 100BB's not with some random midstack. It's bad, you'll miss value and it'll also commit you to some pots way to easy.

Second: leave this table. There's not even a single full stack on the table. Look for a table with a lot of players that have full $10 stacks or at least more then $7. A few shortstack you can't avoid but playing at this table is just stupid.

The hand as played, I wouldn't raise the SB either here I think. Complete is fine.

On the flop... I don't know, I don't think i'd be able to lay this down anymore cause it's NL10. MP1 might show up with JT for TPGK & OESD, he might have slowplayed overpairs pre-flop to... so you have to go broke here imo.
    • Sasa1234
      Sasa1234
      Bronze
      This is pretty ugly situation(for a 100bb stack). There is really no much worse hands that will pay you off in a unraised pot, but going all in for 50 bb is good play in my opinion.
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      Agree with above that you should leave this table, too many shortstacks, you won't get paid.

I would also shove this flop, you also have 10 outs so I'm not folding.
    • AninIII
      AninIII
      Bronze
      Hi,

considering your stack and the fact that he could do that move not just with TT, 99, 76, J7 and QJ but also with a broad range (77, JJ, JT, T9, T8, 89, Asxs, Ksxs, AT, ....) of hands which you beat, I would shove this, too.
      And if your are up against a straight you have backdoor outs (10 on turn).

Best regards,
      Anin
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      NH.. you cannot fold this cause of draws etc.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by Mstlc
      Frist off all: rebuy... play with 100BB's not with some random midstack. It's bad, you'll miss value and it'll also commit you to some pots way to easy.

Second: leave this table. There's not even a single full stack on the table. Look for a table with a lot of players that have full $10 stacks or at least more then $7. A few shortstack you can't avoid but playing at this table is just stupid.
      This.

As for the hand itself, i'd still raise it preflop over 2 limpers and likely call a shove since i doubt people limp/shove 99-QQ too often. They do sometimes with KK+, but you'll also see guys just going nuts after your raise with random overcards or lower pocket pairs because they think you're a bully. Coupled with the times you win uncontested i think it's worth the play for 50bb. I don't hate the complete either tho.

Postflop is fine, you can't fold a set for 50bb on such a drawy board.

Hope it helps.