If you have 2-3 hours a day to play poker , which route should you choose ?!

• FWKanobi
      FWKanobi
      Bronze
      Hi there ,
      I have around 2-3 hours a day to play poker (at night , europe time) and I play at FTP.
      I know the big money is in MTT , but I will not have time to play 8-9 hours tournament expect weekends.
      I was wandering , with 2-3 hours a day for poker , Which route is best to go ? SSS , BSS , SnG grinding or maybe MTT ?
      Currently I'm grinding SSS to increase my BR and academy points.

thank you.
  • 11 replies
    • tuomasta
      tuomasta
      Bronze
      I also did start SSS

Then turbo SnGs... you need only 2 gears to comlete these... first tight as SSS and then train some push/fold to ICM trainer and read some SNG articles

You can multitable when you are familiar with push/fold cards... watch those other multitablers and put note... you can maybe 3bet them more often with mediocre hand( they don't have time to think)

Use sharskope etc. to spot low limit massive multitablers like SatoriKid (multitabling 20+ 10max turbo sngs) on Pokerstars

Now i'm playing BSS

that was may way to build my BR
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Personally speaking I would generally recommend sss or bss initially as the variance tends to be higher on sng's and mtt's as demonstrated by the recommended BRM buyins required (25/30 for cash games), 50 for sng & 100 for mtt's.
      In Mtt's and even sng's, you can sometimes go a long long time before cashing, however well you play. With cash tables you can leave/join as/when you like and so it's easier to take a break if you are having a rough session.

Just my personal view, if you prefer sng variants, then I would try the lower levels as described by tuomasta above. I personally however would always play the regular levels and not turbo. Take your time to build on your poker skills through the use of the strategy guides and don't just rely on push/fold alone (although this does play a big part in any tournament game).

Like I said, just my own personal view as a member of the forum and not necessarily an official view of PokerStategy. (Moderators are members first & foremost too :f_cool: )

Good luck with whichever you decide FWKanobi,

Best regards,

Bart
    • FWKanobi
      FWKanobi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tuomasta
      I also did start SSS

Then turbo SnGs... you need only 2 gears to comlete these... first tight as SSS and then train some push/fold to ICM trainer and read some SNG articles

You can multitable when you are familiar with push/fold cards... watch those other multitablers and put note... you can maybe 3bet them more often with mediocre hand( they don't have time to think)

Use sharskope etc. to spot low limit massive multitablers like SatoriKid (multitabling 20+ 10max turbo sngs) on Pokerstars

Now i'm playing BSS

that was may way to build my BR
      How many tables do you sit while playing BSS ?
    • FWKanobi
      FWKanobi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EagleStar88
      Personally speaking I would generally recommend sss or bss initially as the variance tends to be higher on sng's and mtt's as demonstrated by the recommended BRM buyins required (25/30 for cash games), 50 for sng & 100 for mtt's.
      In Mtt's and even sng's, you can sometimes go a long long time before cashing, however well you play. With cash tables you can leave/join as/when you like and so it's easier to take a break if you are having a rough session.

Just my personal view, if you prefer sng variants, then I would try the lower levels as described by tuomasta above. I personally however would always play the regular levels and not turbo. Take your time to build on your poker skills through the use of the strategy guides and don't just rely on push/fold alone (although this does play a big part in any tournament game).

Like I said, just my own personal view as a member of the forum and not necessarily an official view of PokerStategy. (Moderators are members first & foremost too :f_cool: )

Good luck with whichever you decide FWKanobi,

Best regards,

Bart
      Thank you ,
      When I moved to SSS my BR was 75~ , I climbed to 105$ , went down to 60$ , now I'm back at 75$ :f_biggrin: .

Someone interrupted me writing this post , then I played another 40 minutes SSS and upped to 81$ :-D
    • tuomasta
      tuomasta
      Bronze
      I play BSS multitablig 2 to 6 tables (2 to 4 is best)
      when i played SSS i did sometimes play 25 tables

at first I didn't follow BRM... every month i deposit 50$( i think that if i lose those 50 i have money to deposit more)... it take me 3 months to find my game and make profit.

try everything and find your game... be patient... in realistic it takes about year to make good profit so don't be too optimistic (if you play and study 2-3h/day)

EagleStar88 is also right and i speak only myself so again find you game by yourself.

English isn't my native lang so allow errors
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      BSS, I would start from 2 tables.

But pretty soon you will be able to move up to 6 or more.
    • FWKanobi
      FWKanobi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tuomasta
      I play BSS multitablig 2 to 6 tables (2 to 4 is best)
      when i played SSS i did sometimes play 25 tables

at first I didn't follow BRM... every month i deposit 50$( i think that if i lose those 50 i have money to deposit more)... it take me 3 months to find my game and make profit.

try everything and find your game... be patient... in realistic it takes about year to make good profit so don't be too optimistic (if you play and study 2-3h/day)

EagleStar88 is also right and i speak only myself so again find you game by yourself.

English isn't my native lang so allow errors
      Which limit of BSS you play today ?
      Do you manage to make good amount of rakeback like in SSS ?
      Is the profit higher?
    • Djvandal
      Djvandal
      Bronze
      Originally posted by FWKanobi

Which limit of BSS you play today ?
      Do you manage to make good amount of rakeback like in SSS ?
      Is the profit higher?
      BSS = more rakeback you are playing more pots
    • whateverdude
      whateverdude
      Bronze
      Not more RB, because you play more pots, BUT with SSS your bankroll management allows you to play AT HIGHER STAKES + with SSS you can manage to play more tables, so as far as RB goes, SSS owns the crap outta BSS
    • Meiffert
      Meiffert
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Djvandal
      BSS = more rakeback you are playing more pots
      On Pokerstars it doesn't matter whether you fold preflop or see the showdown with your hand, every player gets the same amount of points. I'm not sure about other sites, but there is no way you get more rakeback playing BSS with a limited bankroll (which makes you play lower limits with BSS).

As an example lets say we have a bankroll of ~$800 and we play at Pokerstars.
      That allows us to play either:

MTTs up to $8 BI, mostly we will play $5 MTTs as there are more of them. I think that we certainly won't play more than 5 MTTs per hour (even if we multitable about 10 tables, it will take 2 hours on average to bust out of a MTT, this is just an estimation, but it won't be 10x more or less).
      That gives us 5*0.80 = $4 fee per hour, which is 20 VPPs per hour.

Turbo SNGs with $15 BI. I think that we can't play more than 20 of them per hour if we ~10table. That gives us $20 fee, which is 100 VPPs per hour.

BSS with 30 BI rule means that we can play NL25. I don't have good data on this because when I played this limit, the VPP system here way different and we got close to zero points. It's way better now, my estimation is that you get about 30 VPPs per hour, as you play about 500 hands when you multitable up to 10 tables. If someone plays NL25 on Stars, let me know if this number is way too low or high, but I'm actually pretty confident that it's not FAR from reality.

With SSS we have 40 stacks for NL100 and you get 130 VPPs per hour, if you play about 500 hands (if you multitable up to 10 tables).

You can see that if you go for rakeback (FPPs for Porshe or PS points for Diamond status), then SSS > SNGs > BSS > MTTs.
      Also take into account, that it is really easy to multitable SSS, relatively easy to multitable SNGs (but a bit harder in my opinion) and way harder to multitable BSS and MTTs. This (and the fact, that you actually play a little bit more than 50 hands per hour on 1 table) only enhances the fact, that SSS >> SNGs >> BSS > MTTs.

I'm pretty good example of this. I have played different types of NLHE and I got no points for playing MTTs/BSS. With SNGs I was easily Gold member here while playing only about 8 SNGs per hour, while with SSS (which I'm playing now) I'm getting enough points to be a Diamond member.

Also take into consideration that this is only true for low/mid stake games because the situation changes a lot on high stakes. The reason is a cap on rake, the maximum rake is $3 and if you play say NL1k+ nearly every pot is raked maximum as soon as the flop is dealt so it doesn't matter any more whether you play this stake BSS or even higher stake (if there are some tables running) SSS, it still holds though that you can easily multitable SSS which gives you more rake and rakeback.
      Even more important thing to consider on higher stakes is that while rake in cash games is capped at $3 per pot, fee in SNGs is not really capped. Therefore playing high stakes SNGs gives you way more rakeback than pretty much anything else.
      But since I believe that high stakes players know this already and/or are able to figure it out by themselves, I made the example above for low/middle stake players who consider to get Dimond members here, or Supernova on Stars or want to generate some rake for whatever reason.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      BSS SH.... there is no other way! :P