Tighness of NL50 on pokerstars. Winning players/strategy?

• jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Bronze
      Hi,

I've moved up to NL50 on stars and im amzed as to how much it differs from NL25. My observation is only on 500ish hands so i know i may be seeing things not how they are.

Firstly omg there increadabley tight tables. How do those of you who are beating this limit play? I mean yeah i steal and yes i open up my raising range in posistion. But what i mean is how do you get action on you hands and win some big pots?

I'm up about $140 after 500ish hands but this is only because i had AA v KK and oviously stacked my opponent. Also i stacked a BSS and MSS with 10-10. Other than than that iv been winning smallish pots.

What win rates do you guys have at this limit on stars? Do you get much action?

Also tables can tighten up quite rapidly to like 20% do you constantly change tables or do you stay at the same tables? Any secrets into getting into a GOOD game and it staying good?

I dont dough my abilitys but from observations i'v made so far, i've been thinking of moving site, but i dont want to because i really like pokerstars.

I was beating NL25 for 6.11, so its not like im not good enough (dont mean to sound up myself there, so appologies if i do)

Any tips/secrets etc would be great. I'd like to hear from people who have 20k+ hands experience at this (only on pokerstars) and are beating it for 3or4bb/100+.

Many thanks.
  • 21 replies
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      sh OR fr?
    • jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gerv
      sh OR fr?
      Sorry i forgot to mention. FR.

Can i also add this is day time in england. Looking at the lobby now theres alot of juicey games...but its to late in the evening to play...tierdness and all (its 11:00pm now).
    • Jehryn
      Jehryn
      Bronze
      Well, having tight tables per se isn't a bad thing, just adapt your playing style. If everyone folds outside of JJ+/AQ just play looser in MP3/LP and let the non-sd rocket :tongue:

Concerning moving, Pokerstars is the biggest pokersite so it is very unlikely you'll find much better tables somewhere else. For comparison, currently I'm playing at Ipoker and the highest ppf of a table IS 20%. I'm forced to play at tables with 5-15% and its still good money.
    • jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jehryn
      Well, having tight tables per se isn't a bad thing, just adapt your playing style. If everyone folds outside of JJ+/AQ just play looser in MP3/LP and let the non-sd rocket :tongue:

Concerning moving, Pokerstars is the biggest pokersite so it is very unlikely you'll find much better tables somewhere else. For comparison, currently I'm playing at Ipoker and the highest ppf of a table IS 20%. I'm forced to play at tables with 5-15% and its still good money.
      Yeah i know, im able to adapt my game no problem, it just feels odd winning small pots...nothing beats winning a big pot! Maybe i just have to accept the whole dynamics of the game have changed now?

Umm well i'v been monatoring Full-Tilt. Although there isnt as much traffic there i'v noticed that there games are losser on average.

In regards to you playing at I-Poker, i know how tight they are. What limit are you playing atm and whats your winrate? And over how many hands? Do you make the majority of your $$$ through steals, re-steals and C-bets?

As i'v said in my OP iv only played 500hands and my new limit so its difficult to really conclude anything, but my first observations have got me asking questions which i guess is always a good thing...knowledge is power and all that....
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      time to move to SH? :D
    • jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mbml
      time to move to SH? :D
      Lol, yes that point will come soon. Iactually started playing poker SH for my first year then i switched to FR. Unless i see any change in trends of players per flop %, I'll see how much better Full-Tilt is and well if not...i think changing to SH sounds like the best idea.
    • xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      I play SSS, and have played ~150k hands on NL50 on Stars.

I have had to move down to NL25 on 4 seperate occasions, due to losing too much on suckouts and bad luck (KK running into AA, AQ running into AK etc). I run around 3BB/100 on NL25 (which is not bad for SSS).

I think for BSS you have a lot more scope to open up your ranges, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to beat it using SSS. Sklanski-Chubukov pushes only seem to get called by big hands, whenever I 3Bet an 80/50 player he has AA or KK, and it always seems that when I get my money in good, I lose to suckout (3 Outs = The Nuts on Pokerstars sometimes).

So sorry, I don't really have any advice for you, but I can say that after a lot of experience on this limit, that you're not imagining it, and it can certainly be very tight. I wish you good luck it beating the limit, i'm about to move back up from NL25 again so I might see you at the tables ;) .
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze

x2

I'd give my left nut to play on 20% tables all the time.
    • jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TheBrood

x2

I'd give my left nut to play on 20% tables all the time.
      Would you care to elaberate on that? lol.
    • jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xponentx
      I play SSS, and have played ~150k hands on NL50 on Stars.

I have had to move down to NL25 on 4 seperate occasions, due to losing too much on suckouts and bad luck (KK running into AA, AQ running into AK etc). I run around 3BB/100 on NL25 (which is not bad for SSS).

I think for BSS you have a lot more scope to open up your ranges, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to beat it using SSS. Sklanski-Chubukov pushes only seem to get called by big hands, whenever I 3Bet an 80/50 player he has AA or KK, and it always seems that when I get my money in good, I lose to suckout (3 Outs = The Nuts on Pokerstars sometimes).

So sorry, I don't really have any advice for you, but I can say that after a lot of experience on this limit, that you're not imagining it, and it can certainly be very tight. I wish you good luck it beating the limit, i'm about to move back up from NL25 again so I might see you at the tables ;) .
      Im glad that im not imagining it...Unfortunatley i was finding my grove today...but i got stacked twice to day to leave me only $11 up not alot i could do about it tbh. Running at 13bb/100 after 1k hands has me concerned...ok 1k is nothing etc but when a diwnswing hits i get the impression i'd be lucky long term beating it for 2.5bb/100 in which case 9 tabling NL25 at 6.11bb/100 seems more atractive.

If you see me at the tables dont forget to say hi...i only 6 table NL50 so have time to talk...screen name the same as my user name here.
    • Cealin
      Cealin
      Bronze
      Keep grinding at 25NL on PS, and when you have the bank for it switch to 100NL. Skip 50NL, it's tight and so is Full Tilt 50NL.
    • silent21
      silent21
      Global
      Originally posted by Cealin
      Keep grinding at 25NL on PS, and when you have the bank for it switch to 100NL. Skip 50NL, it's tight and so is Full Tilt 50NL.
      elaborate pls. i am uber crusher on NL25 on FTP [16bb/100] but losing on NL50 :( another thing is that losing 2-3 stacks on NL50 tilts me alot :f_frown: [/quote]
    • jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Bronze
      I'm awear that NL100 is easyer to beat than NL50 on full tilt.

But scanning the lobby on pokerstars NL100 looks even tighter than NL50...Is this observation not correct? I'v only monitored it on one or two occasions...
    • jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by silent21
      elaborate pls. i am uber crusher on NL25 on FTP [16bb/100] but losing on NL50 :( another thing is that losing 2-3 stacks on NL50 tilts me alot :f_frown:
      [/quote]+1

Nut not as sick a crusher...still crushing though.
    • Meiffert
      Meiffert
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jonnyjm

But scanning the lobby on pokerstars NL100 looks even tighter than NL50...Is this observation not correct? I'v only monitored it on one or two occasions...
      Just a quick personal opinion: NL100 on FTP seemed softer than NL100 on Stars to me, altough I play more tables on Stars, which might be the reason I'm not doing as well. ;)

But the more important thing is that NL100 is definitely harder than NL50, don't try skipping it, it won't work, you will only loose 4 your NL25 stack in 1 hand on NL100 and that will feel bad. ;)

You just have to keep trying, (nearly) everybody fails the first (or maybe 2nd, 3rd) time they try to go up a limit, but you get experience, possibly learn something new, grind it up back on the lower stake and try to go up again. Sooner or later you will succeed.

Also don't try to change your game as you move up, this was a huge leak of mine, I always tought, 'yeah, these guys will be way more agressive, I have to adapt and loosen up a lot' etc. and that caused me a lot of trouble.

Keep improving, keep taking shots and in after a few moving up and down you will find yourself beating NL50 without problems. ;)
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      i play like 10 tables at NL50 SH at stars. Breakeven pretty much. I suggest you play 4 tables, choose a nice time to play (nighttime in US) and keep changing tables when they become shitty. I'm going to do the same.

I personally hate FR a lot, its super nitty and super boring. It's also harder to isolate the fishes for yourself, so I stopped playing FR after I stopped using SSS.
    • jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Meiffert
      Originally posted by jonnyjm

Just a quick personal opinion: NL100 on FTP seemed softer than NL100 on Stars to me, altough I play more tables on Stars, which might be the reason I'm not doing as well. ;)

But the more important thing is that NL100 is definitely harder than NL50, don't try skipping it, it won't work, you will only loose 4 your NL25 stack in 1 hand on NL100 and that will feel bad. ;)

You just have to keep trying, (nearly) everybody fails the first (or maybe 2nd, 3rd) time they try to go up a limit, but you get experience, possibly learn something new, grind it up back on the lower stake and try to go up again. Sooner or later you will succeed.

Also don't try to change your game as you move up, this was a huge leak of mine, I always tought, 'yeah, these guys will be way more agressive, I have to adapt and loosen up a lot' etc. and that caused me a lot of trouble.

Keep improving, keep taking shots and in after a few moving up and down you will find yourself beating NL50 without problems. ;)
      NL100 softer at FT, would you say NL50 at FT is softer than PS NL50?

Well im up atm 13bb/100 after only 1k hands, but i have been a bit guilty of changing my game...nothing drastic...bluffing a little bit more and opening up my raising range and 3bet range. If i play just like i do in NL25 i dont suppose i'd be to profitable (i was playing 10/8).
    • jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mbml
      i play like 10 tables at NL50 SH at stars. Breakeven pretty much. I suggest you play 4 tables, choose a nice time to play (nighttime in US) and keep changing tables when they become shitty. I'm going to do the same.

I personally hate FR a lot, its super nitty and super boring. It's also harder to isolate the fishes for yourself, so I stopped playing FR after I stopped using SSS.
      Lol yeah i know, iv grown fond of FR though...I know there will come a time when i will have to switch though. How much will i need to alter my game for SH? Would you say SH have softer games?
    • jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Bronze
      Well had to move back down to NL25 :(

Found my self going on limit tilt...something in my game has changed and i dont know what.

I do know i'm not as capable of folding a lossing hand on the turn or river...Thats needs sorting QUICKLY!