An "Ego" question

• tommi91
      tommi91
      Bronze
      OK, there's one problem what I need to explain you guys what I and suppose lot face playing poker.

So I play partypoker 0.05/0.1 limit hold'em and I always play by SHC. I play and at first I amde some sily beginner mistakes and lost money, but that's not important cause I'm earning it and more back. Anyway the problem is that: Do I win more hands on higher limit beacause their are more experienced players who now when to fold. Because lot of times I have started with hands like rocket pocket QQ or KK and then I raise and cap and then comes flop and I have top pair and I still raise then turn and I again raise and then river and I still raise bet. Now there are always some guys who call, some have reason for it due to they have some other pocket or good starting hands (AKo, AKs, AQs etc...). But lot of times their are some n00bs who call with hands like J6s or A3o or smth. like that. And they always loto on turn and river (well not always but most of the time when the pot is about 3.5$ :P ). So may there be fewer of those n00bs who don't follow basics of strategy like SHC. Like if I manage to reach 90$ limit and I go next limit like 0.1/0.2$ will there be fewer n00bs who go in and call with every shit card without the reason. And if there are fewer n00bs then my play should improve cause in most cases it's pure strategy not lucky call and so on.

So umm, is that ego question, that I think if I go higher limit, where there are fewer n00bs, who don't make stupid calls, I win more hands beacause my competitors know when to fold'em.
  • 4 replies
    • wilm
      wilm
      Bronze
      Wrong wrong wrong thinking dude.

U want people to make stupid calls because thats where we make our money from! If u want to be succesfull at poker u have to understand this concept. Sure they will make a suckout on you and hit their 1-out hand but thats just part off the game.

Let them make stupid calls with stupid hands. This is where we win the most money! And accept the fact that u cant always win with pocket AA for instance.

U dont make money if everybody folds wenn u have a good hand!
    • tommi91
      tommi91
      Bronze
      Yeah that's true but still it frustates you if you do everything like the "book" says, you cap and raise according to SHC and loose your 1h hard earned money.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      It´s true that you cap premium hands preflop but on the flop it´s different: overpair is not necessarily the best hand and you don´t want to cap aces all the way. I would suggest post some hands on the forum, then you could find out when raising and capping is profitable.
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tommi91
      OK, there's one problem what I need to explain you guys what I and suppose lot face playing poker.

So I play partypoker 0.05/0.1 limit hold'em and I always play by SHC. I play and at first I amde some sily beginner mistakes and lost money, but that's not important cause I'm earning it and more back. Anyway the problem is that: Do I win more hands on higher limit beacause their are more experienced players who now when to fold. Because lot of times I have started with hands like rocket pocket QQ or KK and then I raise and cap and then comes flop and I have top pair and I still raise then turn and I again raise and then river and I still raise bet. Now there are always some guys who call, some have reason for it due to they have some other pocket or good starting hands (AKo, AKs, AQs etc...). But lot of times their are some n00bs who call with hands like J6s or A3o or smth. like that. And they always loto on turn and river (well not always but most of the time when the pot is about 3.5$ :P ). So may there be fewer of those n00bs who don't follow basics of strategy like SHC. Like if I manage to reach 90$ limit and I go next limit like 0.1/0.2$ will there be fewer n00bs who go in and call with every shit card without the reason. And if there are fewer n00bs then my play should improve cause in most cases it's pure strategy not lucky call and so on.

So umm, is that ego question, that I think if I go higher limit, where there are fewer n00bs, who don't make stupid calls, I win more hands beacause my competitors know when to fold'em.
      The problem is subjective recognition (or how do you call it). The human brain will remember events that werent supposed to happen like loosing with Pocket Aces. Most of the time you win with Pocket Aces so you will only remember the few hands where you lost them. You see even when i try to remember my best hands my biggest pots i won, i cant give you an exact detail, the only thing i know is that i won an
      50BB pot some time ago. But instead i can exactly remember of 4-5 hands where i really got sick beats. And i can tell you the action of every street when i think of these bad beats i got.

Anyway. I know what you mean. But actually this is the reason why poker is such a profitable game. People who are playing badly do win, ... sometimes. That is the reason why the keep on playing, because the think it is a game of luck... or they think they know how to play...

By the way the book "Ace on the River" from Berry Greenstein is a very good book handling a lot about the psychological aspects of poker...

Best regards,
      Stefan