The emotional impact of losing vs. winning

• howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      Today I made about $250, consisting of a $50 bonus, $60 at PLO8-25 (which I was playing along with LHE (a grand $1 contribution to the day) to stretch myself a little and have some fun... I had some LHE hands to post from that session but texas grab'em ate 'em), $12 from a sng which I didn't even pay the entry fee for :P and $130 of pure NLHE winnings. I'm pretty sure that this is my biggest day to date and I broke through the 20 buyin requirement for the next limit then another $100 while hardly noticing it and yet I don't feel much other than vaguely content and rather tired.

On days when I lose $100 I will feel sick unless I got in as a big favourite repeatedly. Even as little as $30 can be depressing and when I break even I feel that I must've done something horribly wrong.

I've read a little that suggests this is common, and I've wondered if perhaps it helps motivate improvement but it's exhausting and stressful, how do you deal with it?
  • 4 replies
    • mchaggis
      mchaggis
      Bronze
      If I'm down at the end of the day and I've played well I feel quite ok (like last two days when I always knew what ranges opponents had and how to play but couldn't get in the money in 7 consecuitive sngs).
      But I made some plays which didn't turn out to be very good so I was analyzing that hand. All in all my play affects me more than winning or losing. If I make somie money I feel good obviously :)
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      You read "Ace on the River" form Berry Greenstein

also i can recommend

"Professional Poker" think it was from Mark Blade
      (a lot about BRM and about what it needs to be a proffessional poker player, even if that is not your goal, which i guess is the case it makes sense to read the book, because a professional attitude in BRM and thinking is not a big mistake ;) )

Best regards,
      Stefan
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      exactly...."Professional Poker" and especially the chapters "how to deal with bad days" and "how to deal with bad weeks"!
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      I'm a bit sceptical about ace on the river but professional poker sounds like it might be a good read. Pity it's so much harder to get a copy of around here.