$5.41
      UTG2:
      $5.32
      Hero:
      $4.83
      CO:
      $4.11

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A:club: , Q:heart:
      UTG1 raises to $0.10, UTG2 calls $0.10, Hero raises to $0.40, 2 folds, CO calls $0.40, 5 folds.

Flop: ($1.07) 8:spade: , 6:spade: , K:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.70, CO calls $0.70.

Turn: ($2.47) 2:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks.

River: ($2.47) 7:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $1.00, Hero folds, CO gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $2.47

This is very typical situation for me - I invest 2/3 pot on flop, opponent calls, then i check, and he bets on turn/river, forcing me to fold. I feel like i'm loosing a lot in situations like this, but not betting on flop is not a good way, right?
  • 3 replies
    • rickydaprince
      rickydaprince
      Bronze
      Since you know CO is very loose, and depending on his fold to cbet stat, you can opt not to bluff cbet in this spot, especially OOP.
    • AninIII
      AninIII
      Bronze
      Hi,

the mistake lies preflop.

Preflop: bet 0.6$ (=4xBB+2BB for limpers)
      Flop: If you'd still get called just by CO make your contibet to 3/4 pot (because of drawy board) and represent the king.
      Turn: c/f
      River: c/c to catch his busted flush draws (if villain check turn behind a bets that small on river)

Best regards,
      Anin
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I'm guessing AninIII got the stakes confused, your 3bet preflop is fine at nl5.

The c-bet matter is a simple math problem, if he folds often enough it's immediately profitable. In practice that mostly means you need to evaluate of often you think he'll fold. For some players it's 0% of the time, for others close to 100%. Another important aspect is how aggressive they are, especially whether they'll auto-fire the turn if we check it to them. Some always check behind, some always bet no matter what they have.

You should have a good idea of what his style is after 30 hands. On that board it's probably close, it's semi-drawy but there is only one high card, and on the other hand he seems likely to floats c-bets a lot and is aggressive enough to make us think he'll bet the turn when we give up. I'd probably still c-bet Kxy boards until he's proven he'll call me all the time.

As played on the river given the odds i might look him up, we might be good if he had flushdraw and seen what he checked back the turn with will prove important in the long run.

Hope it helps.