Heads up

• Nemanjal87
      Nemanjal87
      Bronze
      How u guys play heads up? i easily get to top three in SNG's on pokerstars but usually lost in heads up. i mean 2nd place is good but today three times i lost big advantage in chips. Last time on the start of heads i had 10000 chips and opponent 3500 and i lost.
      Sorry because my bad endlish
  • 10 replies
    • deVall3y
      deVall3y
      Bronze
      are you playing turbo sng's or normal ones? in turbos usually you get to the heads up with not more than 15 bb's so you should practice ICM. deeper stacked heads up is a little more complicated to learn, but in some of chenny's silver videos he opens a husng after busting so maybe you should check it out
    • Nemanjal87
      Nemanjal87
      Bronze
      im playing normal sng's...
    • deVall3y
      deVall3y
      Bronze
      I see well... check out the videos, and do some research because there isnt much sng content for silver on this site. few quick tips: you should open pretty wide like 85% is standard as default strategy and only play strong hands from the bb
      you should adept to your opponent - if he is tight preflop, keep opening very wide. if he calls you a lot you have to tighten up a bit but take into consideration that his range postflop will be wide and pretty weak
      good luck
    • Nemanjal87
      Nemanjal87
      Bronze
      thanks for help...
    • PokerRoad
      PokerRoad
      Bronze
      Ok its hard to be general in headsup play but i'l try to give some pointers

10k to 3.5k is not much of a chip lead in heads up .. generally speaking unless you get there quickly and the blinds are still low..
      the most important thing to try to do in Headsup play is play the larger pots in position (i.e) on the button
      Raise most of ur hands otb & play much tighter when in the BB as your OPP will have POS on you throughout the hand.

Also it is very important to adjust to both ur opp & the blinds in relation to stack sizes..( i.e) when raising OTB if blinds are low in relation to SS then a standard 3x raise is optimal but as blinds rise it is fin to just 2x your complete range which I think from the button should be between 70-80% of your hands depending on your OPP (ie)if he is folding more =you are raising more.
      An impotant factor in ur heads up play should be ur willingness to call an all in .. Generally you should be lowering ur calling range when you have the chip leap mainly because you have a chance to win the tourney right there but also if you lose you will not be beat.
      . A good example of this is if you have like in your case a 2 1/2 times chip lead and you are delt a weak A like A4-your OPP shoves as blinds are high .. His range is very big here and does includede some bettere A and also pairs 5 plus ... but this is still a good calling spot as
      A.
      your OPP can have such a wide range that also include hands like strong hand such as KQ which you are currantly ahead of and also semi bluffs .ie suited or connected cards & of course total bluffs
      B.
      you can gamble here as you will still have a chance if you lose
      C.
      If you have an A in your hand in HU your OPP is only 10/1 to also have an A in there hand

As you can see heads up play is a very tricky thing to master and this really only touches on the subject .. you should read all the articals on the subject as it will prove to be very good ;) for your bankrole to lern how become a strong HU player so you can finish finish off these tourneys with a win

Hope this helps you some bit(good luck in the future :P
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      All you need to do is crush souls.
    • AugustusCaesar
      AugustusCaesar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Nemanjal87
      How u guys play heads up? i easily get to top three in SNG's on pokerstars but usually lost in heads up. i mean 2nd place is good but today three times i lost big advantage in chips. Last time on the start of heads i had 10000 chips and opponent 3500 and i lost.
      Sorry because my bad endlish
      Depends on the limits you play .. Anyways, I strongly recommend to train a lot of heads up play, as being weak heads-up will cost you a lot of money, because the payouts are usually 50-30-20 so the difference between 1st and 2nd is huge ..

Basic strategy I used on 5$ and 10$ headsup SnGs on Stars and was very good .. If the blinds are low try to know your opponent, on those low limits, they do not change their play as blind rise , so if he is passive raise preflop and steal a lot, if he is agressive/calling a lot play small ball preflop and valuebet made hands ..

Also SnG players that go to heads-up do not realise that the relative strenght of a hand rises hugely, so you can steal a lot of pots from them .. Try playing a lot of raised pots in position, less out of position .. Raise bigger out of position, make a lot of c-bets, and also valuebet a lot .. Do not play your draws passively, raise with them (if your opponent can fold)

If the blinds get high and you have the lead it is ideal for you, just play push-fold .. On lower limits they have no idea what they are doing and often they will just blind out folding to you
    • sabo999
      sabo999
      Bronze
      3 Things to Do;

1.) Play some Low Stakes HU SnGs, that way u'll get a feel for what hands play well and how to deal with different types of HU Players!

2.) D.load ICM Trainer; it'll give you a good grasp of what hands are good 2 push and fold once the blinds get high in relation to stacks, which normally happens soon in to a HU match in a SnG

3.) Look @ The SAGE Articles and the PI Numbers which will help with pushes also !

Sabo :club:
    • DiegoFueng
      DiegoFueng
      Bronze
      icm
    • Nemanjal87
      Nemanjal87
      Bronze
      thanks to all... tips are already helping me...