This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] is this a good lay down?

• h50n
      h50n
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      BB:
      $6.05
      Hero:
      $9.55
      MP1:
      $8.00

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG1 with A:club: , K:spade:
      Hero raises to $0.40, UTG2 folds, MP1 calls $0.40, 5 folds, BB calls $0.30.

Flop: ($1.25) K:heart: , 8:diamond: , 8:spade: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.80, MP1 raises to $2.40, 2 folds, MP1 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $2.85
      since the pair was paired he could ahve easilly thought i was bluffing and so decided to raise. i didnt really want the hassle and so jsut folded the hand is that a right or wrong decision?
  • 7 replies
    • rickydaprince
      rickydaprince
      Bronze
      I think it's completely fine.
    • Gabinr1
      Gabinr1
      Bronze
      Could be a bluff.

He calls your raise from MP1, so he has a wide range, but a very small part of it consists of a 8. If he had pocket 8s, then I don't think he would scare you on the flop + he has position on you.

And there is no draw there. Most probably had a KQs or something like that IMO. But nevertheless a 8 it is always a possibility.

Here I would 3 bet to $7 (or shove). If he has a 8 then it's a cooler.
    • feedfest
      feedfest
      Bronze
      I would also raise here. I wouldn't put him on an 8 very often. I think he'd raise you there with things like 10 10, jj, and qq. what does equilator say about it?
    • elco49
      elco49
      Bronze
      I would fold.
    • dingdeng
      dingdeng
      Bronze
      I would call here~

If he got an 8, the flop is dry~~~~~It's not necessary for him to reraise here if he really want your money
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      - If you don't want to go all in with this hand you can c/c dry flop, turn, etc...
      - Would you raise your trips in this spot if you were him? Would he? How many times in a session do you hit trips? Its very rare imo.
      - He looks passive but his stats dont mean much because of tiny sample.
      - Its more probable he has a K or pp than an 8.
      - When you bet this scary flop, many small pp will fold, so maybe you can c/c for more value since its dry.(You want worse to call, not fold).
      - When you c/c you let him bluff at you. Sometimes he will have the 8 but most times he wont.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I would always c-bet this against such a player, he looks very loose passive, he's likely to call you down with any Kx so getting the money in there is a priority.

When he raises, either you think he can raise worse hands for value / bluffs in that spot, in which case your best play is to simply call in position and let him continue to valuebet/bluff into you instead of blowing him off everything you beat with a 3bet, or you think he's too tight to be messing around, in which case folding the flop is fine.

Hope it helps.