Fixed limit holdem books suggestion

• TTarkan
      TTarkan
      Bronze
      Hi all,
      I ve been playing limit holdem only for one month but I'm ashamed to say that I cant really beat $0.10/0.20 FR games at pokerstars. I win 1.66 BB in 51000 hands overall where as at $0.05/0.10 games I win 5.62BB in 13000 hands. So I think I need some more schooling to beat $0.10/0.20 games. Could you recommend me some good books about beginner strategy at fixed limit?
      Im also thinking about having a pokernotebook to take some notes for the things I learn from the poker articles and videos from this site...
  • 35 replies
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      Articles on this site are more than enough.

My advice, don't play this stupid game... if you don't take my advice, see ya in a year when you get to higher limits and you'll see what I mean.
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by Dippy19
      My advice, don't play this stupid game... if you don't take my advice, see ya in a year when you get to higher limits and you'll see what I mean.
      :D
    • TTarkan
      TTarkan
      Bronze
      Well limit holdem is the only kind of poker where I can win money, a lot FPPs and have freedom to leave table whenever I want. So I'm trying to improve myself on fixed limit. I read the thread of Yoghi on our successes section of this forum where he says he made over $200K in 2009. So that proves it is possible to win a lot on limit holdem or is he GOD?
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TTarkan
      Well limit holdem is the only kind of poker where I can win money, a lot FPPs and have freedom to leave table whenever I want. So I'm trying to improve myself on fixed limit. I read the thread of Yoghi on our successes section of this forum where he says he made over $200K in 2009. So that proves it is possible to win a lot on limit holdem or is he GOD?
      See ya in a year then :s_biggrin:
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      wait, you're winning with 1.66BB/100?
    • TTarkan
      TTarkan
      Bronze
      yes why? thats a shame I know :f_frown:
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      no, that's like pretty good. move up imo
    • TTarkan
      TTarkan
      Bronze
      May be I should listen dippy and opal and stop playing FL. I may give one more chance to SSS. I hope I will be happy with this decision next year :)
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by TTarkan
      May be I should listen dippy and opal and stop playing FL. I may give one more chance to SSS. I hope I will be happy with this decision next year :)
      I never said you should stop playing it.. I just really like Dippy's reply ;)
    • Ejeckt
      Ejeckt
      Bronze
      Alright this has gotten me really intrigued. Were you joking, Dippy19? What's the issue with FL? Surely there are pains to endure in any variant of poker?

On Topic: I think the best books for FLHE would be poker psychology books. Though you lose less $ in a hand if you get a bad beat, you get way more bad beats in FL I think (more hands played, more WTSD). So tilt-control is a really really important thing.
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      i guess Dippy was joking(?), FL can still be ridiculously profitable if you know what you're doing
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      I wasn't exactly joking. I was just saying that on limits like 5/10 the mixture of good players and high rake makes the game really shitty and hard to beat. If you also play HU then I guess it's ok, since you can get a bigger edge there and table select better.

Redskwerl and Yoghi are good examples of beating the game, but I think they are more of an exception then a rule. Besides, if you make it to high stakes I imagine it gets better since there's more money and searching for fish becomes more profitable than on mid-low stakes.

TTarkan, you have a nice win rate for FR, so I wouldn't worry too much, but keep improving and I hope I didn't scare you or anything. Games up till 2/4 and even 3/6 are still very very beatable and if you want to switch later or stay with it is totally your decision to which you will come to from your own experience.

Guess I was just venting my frustrations a bit... now, where's a SnG beginner to scare :P :D
    • Ejeckt
      Ejeckt
      Bronze
      Interesting. What's the NL limit equivalent to FL 5/10? Let's say SH? I don't know if this is a pertinent or even logical question :P Can I check this answer for myself by comparing BRM requirements for the various limits?
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by Ejeckt
      Interesting. What's the NL limit equivalent to FL 5/10? Let's say SH? I don't know if this is a pertinent or even logical question :P Can I check this answer for myself by comparing BRM requirements for the various limits?
      If you think only about WR/hour without any bonuses than even NL100 > FL 5/10 (you can't play more than 6 FL SH tables if you're going for WR what doesn't apply for NL100).

But, you have to consider RB/bonuses/similar shit and on limit like 5/10 def is, are $$$ from promos more than your (even very good) WR. There're sites with possible 90% RB on 5/10 (legal offer through VIP systems), so your $/hr is hard to be counted.

If you talk about BRM, $5k for FL SH 5/10, $5k for NL200... not sure if that can be compared though
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      Originally posted by opal99
      If you talk about BRM, $5k for FL SH 5/10, $5k for NL200... not sure if that can be compared though
      2x$5k for both imo.
    • funktor
      funktor
      Bronze
      That 90% is very interesting? Where you can get it ;) ?

I got almost 100% this month on Party on $0.5/1, but regulary have 90%; sounds to good ;) ?

Funktor
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Just make exactly 200k MCP on Mansion every month and play every Monday during happy hours and you're done. You have to do that for 6 consecutive months.

If you want 100% or a bit over, make exactly (no more!) 600k every month..

It's easy as this ;)
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      OT, but:
      why do you have to make exactly 200k? wouldnt your RB% get higher the more you play?
      also, wouldnt this depend a lot on what limit/games you play?
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      no & no ;)

There're 3/6 months' boost and it doesnt matter whether you make 200,001 or 599,999 MCP per month, you'll still get 5,606,250 MCP bonus after 6 months, so the most EV is to play the least obv. Sure, you would get more PS points if you play more, so not $500 but let's say 1k each month, but doesn't compensate enough if we're talking about $/hr.. hope it makes sense

in other words: if you're capable to make more than 200,000 but less than 600,000, play somewhere else too :)

And since we're in FL sub-forum, I can say it doesn't matter what you play because RB is almost same for 2/4-5/10 (it may be lower for 10/20 I guess but not 100% sure though) and you have no real chance to make it on 1/2 or lower...