Defending my Blinds

• Bigwags
      Bigwags
      Bronze
      New to the forum......... SSS seems to be a logical guide, and working well for me, however I need some help in regards to the Blinds....... How can I prevent folding so many of them ?? especially the SB ???
  • 4 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Bigwags!

Defending your blind is not that important in No Limit because the blinds are relatively small compared to a possible win or loss (the whole stack). I would recommend to play strictly the SHC for SSS. If you switch to the BSS and go up the limits blind defense might get more important, but as a beginner I would just wait for the good hands. You almost always get a payoff on the small limits. Defending your blinds with mediocre hands brings you in difficult situations and can result in big losses. The SSS is designed to help beginners to understand the game and prepare them for the more complicated BSS. Just focus on the recommendations of the SSS-articles and try to play this strategy as perfect as possible. If you are able to react in all situations properly the BSS is the next step for you.
      This is just a recommendation, not a must!

Good luck!
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      For the same reason (the blinds being small compared to potential wins), many hands are worth completing from the small blind even as a short stack with a few limpers.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      That is correct. But for these hands like suited connectors it is important that not only a few but at least 3 limpers are in the pot in order to make sure that we get a payoff if we hit a big hand.
      Nevertheless for a beginner it is better to stay with the SHC. Otherwise she could find herself in difficult situations.
    • drunkenJedi
      drunkenJedi
      Bronze
      If you want the SSS to be successful outside of the micro stakes, proper blind stealing and blind defense are absolutely crucial. Even on the micro stakes, blind stealing is very important as it will greatly boost your winrate.

For a start, I'd recommend you to read the following blog which contains very helpful advice for the SSS: http://www.donkeydevastation.com/short-stack-poker-strategy/

You should also check out Alaton's SSS-Coaching; blind stealing is one of the topics covered there and you can also ask questions there and have them answered by one of the best short stack players on this site.