This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] NL50 QQ overpair

• Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      http://cakepoker.com/en/HandHistory/Default.aspx?Hand=xsTExcTFwM3DzcTExMTAw4jNxMDCwMI%3d

My hand: Q:spade: Q:heart:

Thought process:

Villain is a loose-ish reg whom I unsuccessfully tried to bluff a few times earlier. He raises from MP3, I 3bet, BB and villain call. Since he usually limp-calls small pocket pairs, I put him on overcards, TT-QQ or slowplayed AA/KK. BB could have QQ, AK or some funky pocket pair he'd hope to stack me with if he flops a set. Some would play AA/KK that way, but since he folded I figured he didn't have that, but I would probably fold to a check-raise here. So I cbet 2/3 pot and villain calls.

Here I have him on TT-QQ, a set of nines (he could raise/call 99, but probably not 22 or 44), overcards hoping to get lucky or, more disturbingly, a flush draw. AA/KK is still possible, but I think he'd more likely bet or check/raise those hands to protect and get value. The turn completes the flush, and he checks again, which could be a trap so I check behind. Also for pot control in case of set/AA/KK. If no overcard hits on the river, my plan is to call something like 1/2 potsize bet, but I might fold to an all-in.

River blanks and now something interesting happens. He checks for the third time, signaling he doesn't have a flush. A set would bet for sure, he doesn't have to worry about me having the flush since the only realistic flush I could have would be A:heart: K:heart: , and I'd bet that on the turn. The same goes for AA/KK, he'd bet that too. Maybe TT-QQ, afraid of a bigger overpair due to pre-flop 3bet. So basically he's given up the hand. Now I decided to go all-in because even a half potsize bet would commit me anyway.

Still, I'm a bit unsure about this hand. I can't really bet-fold turn as any decent bet would commit me, and shoving only invites better hands (e.g. flush) to call while pushing weaker ones out. Was this played correctly?
  • 1 reply