PetroJo: Trying to turn $50 into $2,000+

• joeburrows
      joeburrows
      Bronze
      27/09

I'm a 21 year old player, a student from Oxford University, with about 4 months' experience. Welcome to my new blog.

Firstly, a big hello to anyone reading. I hope my progress is of benefit to someone :)

So I got the $50 starting capital, and started playing the $1.25 SnGs on Full Tilt Poker. I've tried playing my best, and after hundreds of SnGs, my bank roll is now a measly $89.52 - The highest it has been is $95ish - and that was a few days ago. I play a few SnGs per day, and cash in maybe 1/3 of them, and now play the $2.25 SnGs.

I've recently purchased Harrington on Cash Games (after having read his tournament books). I've played a couple of the micro-limit $0.01-$0.02 ring games, but overall, I've not profited on them.

Today, I've played 8 SnGs; I came 1st in one, and 3rd in 2.

My future posts will have more details in them, this one was just to get the ball rolling.

OK so three things really today:

1.) Is the speed of my bankroll's progress normal?
      2.) Are things like the PokerTracker or the PokerHub worth it at my level?
      3.) Any questions and comments welcome!

GL at the tables all :)

J.
  • 38 replies
    • fakedurrr
      fakedurrr
      Bronze
      welcome and good luck,
      u are proggresing normally I guess, its jstu too big rake on those small limits so dont expect something huge
      I had for ex. -ROI on 1dolar Sn and the higher I went the bettr ROI I got I played 500 SnG and my BR is 250 and I wasnt clearing any bonus

U dont need pokertracker or any HUDright now, it could be jsut good to keep track of ur profis, ROI etc but u can download free pokerscore program, jsut google it :)

My question is, which languages do u study? u study as Interpreter/transaltor?
    • thedahl
      thedahl
      Bronze
      Hey. You don't need HUDs yet as mentioned. Download the Pokerstrategy Elephant to keep track of your stats and it can help you to post hands.

These are the things you need to do:
      1. Read strategy
      2. Watch videos
      3. Play
      4. Post hands

Good luck :)
    • joeburrows
      joeburrows
      Bronze
      28/09

Hey again. Thanks for the replies - I'm glad to know my progress is normal. So, I played some more again last night, and after coming first in another, I then went on to lose several, and my br is now $86.55 - EEK! I played some NL2 as well. This brings my next question: how do I post hands, now that I have the poker elephant? (thanks for the tip-off btw, thedahl)

FakeDurrr - I'm studying [deleted for privacy reasons]. I'm really enjoying it, but am going into my final year, so am really going to have to get focussed and apply for jobs (just to tide me over, until my br is big enough to turn pro ;) of course).

I hope you're all getting luck at the tables.

JB

-----

B.R. $86.55
    • fakedurrr
      fakedurrr
      Bronze
      hey,
      in Elephant (or any other trackign software like Poker Tracker 3 HeM) u jsut find the hand u want to post(of coarse u have to import all hands from ur fulltilt HH file!, u convert it in hadn converter (one is also on this site or u can use deucescracked hand converter or others, jsut use google ) make osme ocmments to the hand and pos it
      I tghink there are also instructions in a Hand judging forum.

Where are u from? GB or russia? How do u liek Slaw languages? u then can go and make ur blog in Russian community as well :) How do u write in Azbucka on normal keyboard anyways? :D

wish u good luck and some heater so that u can play higher stakes
    • joeburrows
      joeburrows
      Bronze
      29/09

Starting BR: $86.55

Hey again!

FakeDurr - in answer to ur questions: I'm from the UK, but study [deleted for privacy reasons]/ Where are you from FakeDurrr?

On to the poker:

So I just MT'd 4 $2.25 SNGs. And I came 1st in 2 of them, and 2nd in another (finishing 5th in the other).

I like days like this. I like them, not only because winning feels great - but also, because I've watched all the vids, and read all the articles, and read Harrington On Hold'em (vols 1-3) as well as Caro's book of tells and I'm 1/2 way thru Harrington's work on cash games - vol I)

...and you know... it feels like the work is paying off. I had some lucky hands and some bad opponents. Take the following hand for example, this is the hand that won the first tourney - pretty standard really...

------------------

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$250/$500 No-Limit Hold'em (2 handed)

Known players:
      BB:
      $2640.00
      SB(Hero):
      $10860.00

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, J.
      Hero calls $250.00, BB checks, with 6:heart: , 4 :diamond: .

Flop: ($1000) J, 4, 5 (2 players)
      BB raises to $2,140.00, Hero calls $2,140.00.

Turn: ($5280) 5 (0 players)
      Hero gets uncalled bet back.

River: ($5280) 7 (0 players)

Final Pot: $3140.

------------------

So this was my first hand posted to you guys. I guess here's another question for everyone:

Which hand is more frequently posted: the hands where you've dished out a bad-beat, or one where you were bad-beated... beaten badly... (question 2. how do people usually say it: given / dished a bad-beat?) I ask, because I think my hand is a "run of the mill" hand - these are the kind that happen, and probably get forgotten).

Oh - and another question!

How can I edit a link to my blog in my signature?? (it keeps showing up as scripts, not an actual link!!

I hope all of y'all are getting luck :)
      Thanks for your advice so far!

JB

ending BR: $100.95
      (WOOT! first time over $100!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:)
    • fakedurrr
      fakedurrr
      Bronze
      Hey, I am from Slovakia (another Slavic country :) )

to signature, I think u should delete this ~ sign but ist just a guess , it jsut doesnt fit therebut I am not good at html etc so ....

well, I think, in ur blog u can post any hadn u want , but in evaluation forums u should pos t those in which u are unsure of ur play etc.
    • Cpwpoker
      Cpwpoker
      Bronze
      For the link

Go to my signature signature option and untick disable BBcode you link should be ok.

Think most bad beat hand gave to you should go to hand evaluation to see whether it was bad beat or bad play.

And sometimes to be happy post the bad beat given by you on your blog XP

But anyway in you blog you can do anything :D You are the master of this place.but follow the board rules.
    • joeburrows
      joeburrows
      Bronze
      30/09

Starting BR: $100.95

Thanks for the advice everyone. As you can see, I've got the link working in my signature. :)

Firstly, I'm just going to ask about Elephant: is it worth having AT ALL if I'm just going to be playing SnGs?

Reasons for it:
      1.) It seems like good software, if you know how to use it.
      2.) It's free, and we all like freebies.
      3.) It seems to be rated highly amongst the forum users.

Reasons not to:
      1.) I don't know how to use it.
      2.) There are no player stats displayed in SnGs.
      3.) It doesn't seem to be displaying my BR, or any kind of graphs related to it.
      4.) I'm pretty capable of some data entry / processing in Excel, so I can do graphs and my own stats / graphs from there

That brings me on to my next point: my stats!
      Today, I played 4 SnGs (again) and placed: 1st, 3rd, 3rd and 4th). So, over the last 2 days (playing 12 SnGs) I have the following stats:

Average placing per game (mean placing / game): 2.8
      Average profit / game (mean profit / game): $1.779166667
      Most frequent placing (mode placing): 1st

Wow, I seem to be on a roll recently.
      Here's a hand where I beat a player who'd been pushing me around a little that game. I made a VERY loose call with the min-raise at the start, but just put it down to him trying to push me around some more... seems like I was wrong!

The hand where I beat the bully:

Play hand

$60/$120 No-Limit Hold'em (3 handed)

Known players:
      BU:
      $2090.00
      SB:
      $8630.00
      BB(Hero):
      $2780.00

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4, 6.
      SB has K, A.
      BU folds, SB raises to $240.00, Hero calls $120.00.

Flop: ($480) 7, 5, 8 (2 players)
      SB bets $240.00, Hero calls $240.00.

Turn: ($960) K (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $120.00, SB raises to $2,040.00, Hero raises to $2,300.00, SB calls $260.00.

River: ($5560) 6 (0 players)
      SB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $5300.

...and another with the same characters. As you'll see, my all-in was... not wise shall we say. The same things happened as in he last hand: a call was made, which seemed loose, but ending up floppiong a strong hand - this time with a twist...

The hand where I beat the bully (but very luckily!):

Play hand

$60/$120 No-Limit Hold'em (3 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $1370.00
      BB:
      $6030.00
      BU(Hero):
      $6100.00

Preflop: Hero is BU with 10, 10.
      BB has 9, 7.
      Hero raises to $360.00, SB folds, BB calls $240.00.

Flop: ($780) 7, 6, 9 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero raises to $5,740.00(All-In), BB calls $5,670.00(All-In).

Turn: ($12190) A (0 players)
      BB gets uncalled bet back.

River: ($12190) A (0 players)

Final Pot: $6520.

Anyways, thanks for reading. I hope you're getting luck at the tables! (like this guy, JesperK-his blog)

JB

Ending BR: $108.15
    • joeburrows
      joeburrows
      Bronze
      02/10

Hello again!

Wow, yesterday was a busy day. I DID play 4 $2.25 SnGs and placed 3rd, 3rd, 4th and 6th - but my day was so busy, I didn't have time to blog.

I had a bit of a fight with the girlfriend; it was my dad's birthday; and I finished work late.

Anyways, I'm currently at work (;) ) so I'll be doing a proper update later today.

JB
    • joeburrows
      joeburrows
      Bronze
      02/10

Starting BR: $108.15

Hello again. So, fighting with the gf wasn't much fun - but everything's ok again. My Dad turned 52 yesterday! He's coming to Oxford with my Mum and Sister tomorrow, so we'll all get to hang out. Lots of posh food! :D

Anyways - on with the poker. Yesterday's 4 $2.25 SnGs were... uneventful and unfortunately, a loss of money; I placed 3rd, 3rd, 4th and 6th, giving me:

Yesterday's stats:

Yesterday's profit: -$1.8
      Mean placing / game: 4th
      Mean profit / game: -$0.45
      Mode placing: 3rd

Today, I have so far played 4 more $2.25 SnGs: placing 2nd, 4th, 4th, and 8th. I've also played some ring-game... but more on that later. So, from the SnGs:

Today's stats:

Today's profit: -$3.6
      Mean placing / game: 4.5th
      Mean profit / game: -$0.9
      Mode placing: 4th

From my mode and mean placings - it looks like I'm having a little trouble on the bubble. I'm going to go and do a little reading :)

The ring-game... short though it was - was INCREDIBLE. It went like this:

The best 2 handed ring game experience - HAND 1

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (3 handed)

Known players:
      BB(Hero):
      $2.00
      BU:
      $1.75
      SB:
      $2.06

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, 9.
      BU raises to $0.07, 2 folds, BU gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.03.

In the next hand, I dish up a bit of a bad-beat - oops.

The best 2 handed ring game experience - HAND 2

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (3 handed)

Known players:
      SB(Hero):
      $1.98
      BB:
      $1.78
      BU:
      $2.05

Preflop: Hero is SB with J, J.
      BU has 5, 5.
      BU raises to $0.08, Hero raises to $0.26, BB folds, BU calls $0.18.

Flop: ($0.54) K, 5, J (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0.70, Hero raises to $1.72, BU calls $1.02.

Turn: ($3.98) A (0 players)
      BU gets uncalled bet back.

River: ($3.98) 9 (0 players)
      BU gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $2.96.
      Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, jacks(J J).
      BU shows three of a kind, fives(5 5).

Hero wins with three of a kind, jacks(J J).

So today, I have a net profit of: -$1.88

I'm going to play some more, and hope that this rut turns around a little.

See ya,

JB

Ending BR: $104.47
    • joeburrows
      joeburrows
      Bronze
      My long-term goal, is to turn my initial BR into one, which is $2,000 + strong. I'd love to be entering some big tournaments etc... That's why I've renamed my blog.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Thread name is a bit misleading. since it made me think you already had $2000+

Im at ~$42 atm playing $1 S&G at pokerstars.. busted in 7 of them without winning anything. So i might have to go back to the $0,25 if i dont cash in the next 10 or something.

Goodluck btw :P and i could probably learn from your blog since i play S&G to

edit: How many player S&G do you play btw? i've always played MTT S&G 27 and 45 player mostly. but i might consider doing 1 table S&G now..
    • joeburrows
      joeburrows
      Bronze
      Hey Hahaownedlolz,

OK I'll change the name to something like "trying to turn..." Thanks for the heads-up.

I play single-table SnGs only at the min - so that's a 9 player table (8 and myself). I've never tried a MTT with a buy-in before - and I think I'll change that tonight! I'll let you know how it goes. Good luck to you too :)

I also play on Full Tilt Poker. What about you? How long have you had your starting BR?

JB
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Playing on Pokerstars atm.

uhm. 20 sept i earned $22 in a $1000 freeroll by getting 7th place of 4500 players. So thats what i started with ;) i busted witht he bankroll pokerstrategy gave me months ago because i wasn't using bankrollmanagement :P .

im at $41 atm though i just started with $1 S&G today and i didn't cash in any of them. so im down $8 today I did notice my play is getting to loose and that im limping in to much. But i did go all in with the best hand everytime, and then get sucked out on the river or turn. Especially flush draws seemed to always hit against me on the river.

im trying a 1 table tournament atm. with 10 players and its double or nothing so top 5 win $2. 7 players left so i think im going to cash :) Tomorrow im going to give the 27 player S&G another try and play more tight and hope i can win some cash. Would be aweful if i had to move back to the $0,25 S&G

and you didn't have to change the title lol :P i also wrote my own blog today :) so you can read how it went there :P

update: i cashed in it :) ofcourse everyone was playing very tight when there were 6 players left. but it was really easy to be honest. You just have to play tight and wait for a hand. I'd suggest trying one. the downside is ofcourse that you only win double your buy-in even when you have the most chips at the end. So that does kinda suck
    • joeburrows
      joeburrows
      Bronze
      Quick update:

Congrats on cashing! I've never seen a double / nothing game before. I'll have to look harder.

Done 3 $2.25 SnGs - placing 3rd, 3rd and 4th - net profit of $0.45 for the three tourneys

I'm currently playing a $2.25 MTT - with 180 people buying in. There are 61 of us left, and I have 2605 in chips, the blinds at 50/100 (giving an M of 17.333 or 26 BBS). This means I'm 47th, and only 18 places get paid

I wonder how I'll fare up...

JB
    • joeburrows
      joeburrows
      Bronze
      Another quick update.

I'm still in the tournament. I'm 20th out of 44 at the moment, with 5415 in chips, an M of 18.05 / 27.075 BBs (but we're on a break, so as the blinds rise in a matter of minutes, that'll soon drop). The "average chip count is 6136 - So it looks like I'm doing quite well.

Laters,

JB
    • joeburrows
      joeburrows
      Bronze
      OK. So I didn't cash in the tourney. I came 30th (out of 180). Not too impressed.

Phew - that took it out of me!

So here are the important hands (hands which some financial impact on me)

I made the following call, because I'd seen this player go all in with Q9o and J5o before...

HAND 1

Play hand

$25/$50 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $1480.00
      CO:
      $6680.00
      BU:
      $1060.00
      SB(Hero):
      $1210.00
      BB:
      $3745.00
      UTG1:
      $2385.00
      UTG2:
      $2870.00
      MP1:
      $1045.00
      MP2:
      $830.00

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, Q.
      7 folds, Hero raises to $150.00, BB raises to $3,745.00, Hero calls $1,060.00.

Flop: ($4955) 4, T, K (0 players)

Turn: ($4955) T (0 players)

River: ($4955) K (0 players)

Final Pot: $3895.

HAND 2

Play hand

$40/$80 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      UTG1:
      $1730.00
      UTG2:
      $5790.00
      MP1:
      $1140.00
      MP2(Hero):
      $1755.00
      MP3:
      $3190.00
      CO:
      $1900.00
      BU:
      $2330.00
      SB:
      $5850.00
      BB:
      $3355.00

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A, J.
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 calls $80.00, MP1 folds, Hero raises to $240.00, 3 folds, SB calls $200.00, BB folds, UTG2 calls $160.00.

Flop: ($800) Q, A, 8 (3 players)
      SB checks, UTG2 checks, Hero bets $240.00, SB folds, UTG2 calls $240.00.

Turn: ($1280) 7 (2 players)
      UTG2 checks, Hero bets $480.00, UTG2 calls $480.00.

River: ($2240) 5 (2 players)
      UTG2 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $2240.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of aces(A J).
      UTG2 shows high card ace(K J).

Hero wins with a pair of aces(A J).

HAND 3

Play hand

$60/$120 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $10610.00
      CO:
      $590.00
      BU:
      $7908.00
      SB(Hero):
      $2615.00
      BB:
      $3540.00
      UTG2:
      $7020.00
      MP1:
      $5760.00
      MP2:
      $2785.00

Preflop: Hero is SB with T, T.
      5 folds, BU raises to $240.00, Hero calls $180.00, BB folds.

Flop: ($600) K, A, 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $360.00, BU folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $600.

HAND 4

Play hand

$80/$160 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $2716.00
      BB:
      $10190.00
      UTG1:
      $14735.00
      UTG2:
      $7488.00
      MP1(Hero):
      $4115.00
      MP2:
      $5030.00
      MP3:
      $6680.00
      CO:
      $5120.00
      BU:
      $2365.00

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J, J.
      2 folds, Hero raises to $480.00, 5 folds, BB calls $320.00.

Flop: ($1040) 6, 7, 4 (2 players)
      BB bets $480.00, Hero raises to $1,440.00, BB folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1520.

In the next hand, like the first one, I had seen this oponent being a bully, so I tried calling him / her on it...

HAND 5

Play hand

$100/$200 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      MP2:
      $4826.00
      MP3:
      $13150.00
      CO:
      $18047.00
      BU:
      $4808.00
      SB(Hero):
      $5215.00
      BB:
      $1435.00
      UTG1:
      $4148.00
      UTG2:
      $6520.00
      MP1:
      $2025.00

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9, 9.
      6 folds, BU raises to $600.00, Hero raises to $1,200.00, BB folds, BU calls $600.00.

Flop: ($2600) 6, T, A (2 players)
      Hero bets $1,200.00, BU raises to $3,000.00, Hero folds, BU gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $3800.

HAND 6

Play hand

$240/$480 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BU with K, Q.
      UTG2 folds, MP1 calls, 2 folds, CO calls, Hero raises, 2 folds, MP1 calls, CO folds.

Flop: (12.5666666667 SB) 7, 9, 8 (0 players)
      MP1 gets uncalled bet back.

Turn: (6.28333333333 BB) 8 (0 players)

River: (6.28333333333 BB) Q (0 players)

Final Pot: 4.26666666667 BB.

HAND 7

THIS HAND IS WRONG!!! If anyone can help, or let me know why there's a glitch, please do.
      My opponent holds JJ, and wins, leaving me with 125 in chips

Play hand

$300/$600 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BU with 9, 9.
      2 folds, MP2 calls, 2 folds, Hero raises, SB folds, BB calls, MP2 folds.

Flop: (18.3566666667 SB) 8, 8, T (0 players)

Turn: (9.17833333333 BB) A (0 players)

River: (9.17833333333 BB) 2 (0 players)

Final Pot: 5.56833333333 BB.

HAND 8

Play hand

$300/$600 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8, 2.
      UTG2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, Hero calls, 2 folds, BB checks.

Flop: (3.83333333333 SB) A, 2, 8 (3 players)
      BB checks, MP1 bets, MP2 folds, BB folds, MP1 gets uncalled bet back.

Turn: (2.91666666667 BB) 4 (0 players)

River: (2.91666666667 BB) 5 (0 players)

Final Pot: 1.91666666667 BB.

HAND 9

AGAIN THIS HAND IS WRONG!!!
      My opponent holds KK, and wins, knocking me out of the tournament.

Play hand

$300/$600 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A, T.
      MP1 folds, Hero raises, MP3 3-Bets, 4 folds.

Flop: (21.19 SB) 7, K, 2 (0 players)
      MP3 gets uncalled bet back.

Turn: (10.595 BB) 7 (0 players)

River: (10.595 BB) 3 (0 players)

Final Pot: 1.75 BB.

Anyways - again, I'm at a loss today, but it serves me right for that HUGE winning streak t'other day. So:

Today's Stats

Today's profit: -$3.68
      Mean placement: 4th
      Mode placement: 4th
      Mean profit / game: -$0.675

Not too bad a day really :)

Peace,

JB

Ending BR - $102.67
    • joeburrows
      joeburrows
      Bronze
      It was great hanging out with the parents again. . . I had a great day with them. POKER SUCKED THOUGH!

humph....

Did 3 SnG tourneys and 1 MTT - did not cash in any. Going to call it a day.

My ending BR is

$95.43

Ah well... eh!?
    • joeburrows
      joeburrows
      Bronze
      04/10

Starting BR: 95.43
      (I got some rakeback - about $1.50)

OK - hello again!

So I've been having a downwards swing. And lost close to $12. But I'ts leveling out again. I've just played 4 SnGs, and placed 5th, 8th, 1st and 1st. :D

So:

Yesterday's Stats:

placing 4th, 6th, 4th and 30th/180 (not included in the placings)

Mean placement: 4.666
      Mode placement: 4
      Profit / Game: -$2.25
      Profit: -$9

Today's Stats:

Mean placement: 3.75
      Mode placement: 1
      Profit / Game: $2.25
      Profit: $9

A bit of a reversal of yesterday...

Anyway, I'm off to study *yippee*

JB