$9,60
      Preflop: Hero is CO with A,Q.
      MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO raises $0,40, BU folds, SB folds, BB calls $0,30

Flop: ($0) J,4,8 (2 players)
      BB checks, CO checks

Turn: ($0) Q (2 players)
      BB bets $0,50, CO raises $1,80, BB calls $1,30

River: ($0) 3 (2 players)
      BB checks, CO bets $1,80, BB raises $5, CO is all in 29.1500, BB is all in 2.4000, CO folds

He had QJ.

So, this player is very weak and passive. He never 3-bet any1, hardly ever raised pf. First he folded to my cbet a lot, but later started to call me with 2 overs and 2nd pair.

Here I decided not to cbet because I cbet him 3 times in row ago and because such a flop could hit him a lot of times. So I checked behind. On the river I put him on any small PP, any Q, and any J. I really thought I had the best hand hand in this situation.

Did I play right here?
  • 4 replies
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      You're only really beating KQ/QT/JT, and given that he raised on the river I think it's a fold. He's not raising anything you beat and is likely to just call you with a naked queen or jack.
      It's a very marginal situation and avoiding these situations all together can improve our win rate over the long run.

That said, It sucks throwing away TPTK but I just think it's necessary in these spots vs. passive players when raised.
    • rickydaprince
      rickydaprince
      Bronze
      Since he is passive, he has to have a decent hand to donk out on the turn... raising is completely fine, but then I would check behind river and look down his cards for the future.
    • elco49
      elco49
      Bronze
      I think you should check behind river when he calls your raise on the turn. If you do decide to bet on the river I think you should fold to a raise.

I would either call turn and raise/fold river or raise/fold turn and check behind river.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I'd still c-bet the flop with AQ-high against a passive player, we beat most overs and have outs against pocket pairs/Jx. If he was aggressive on later street, stealing the pot by donking the turn every time or something it would be a check back on the flop provided his fold to c-bet was low.

Raising the turn is fine tho if you get 3bet imo it's a fold unless he makes it very cheap, in which case calling hoping it's a bluff or that he'll check back the river can be justified.

On the river depending on whether you think that passive player would donk out with Qx on the turn, valuebetting is fine but imo when he shoves it's a fold. I'd tend to check it back because i don't really expect a passive player to bet out the Q, more often then not they just keep on c/calling.

Hope it helps.