MP2 raises $0,40, MP3 folds, CO folds, BU calls $0,40, SB folds, BB folds

Flop: ($0) 2,4,Q (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0,70, BU calls $0,70

Turn: ($0) 6 (2 players)
      MP2 checks, BU bets $1,40, MP2 calls $1,40

River: ($0) K (2 players)
      MP2 checks, BU bets $2,80, MP2 calls $2,80

This guy had 8dQd

The the same 50\30 guy. (He often 3-4 bet with hands like 67s. Once he even called my 4-bet shove with T8o. Inspite of the fact that he plays a maniac style he is pretty competent. He plays something like NL400 style)

pfr is completely fine IMO =) cbet is also fine, probably. But the after the flop I got completely clueless :'(

What should I've done here?
  • 5 replies
    • SheepMoose
      I'd fold river. He isn't Vbetting a hand like 6x or 4x. His line doesn't make too much sense with a flush draw aswell as he's most likely going to check it back on the turn to see a free card, so we can wipe busted spade flushdraws out of his range.

But yeah, River is a fold. I'd probably check/call the flop and try to get to showdown cheaply as well.
    • kosmonaut111
      You only write about his preflop tendencies, but you said he seems rather competent, so he should play postflop really well (?).
      what was his postflop aggression ?

Without any further reads I would bet/fold turn and maybe check/call river (in case he has busted FD).
    • rickydaprince
      I would prefer bet/fold turn... definitely folding river.
    • elco49
      I don't think check/call is an option on the turn. Either bet/fold, check/fold or check/raise.

If you do check/call turn I think you should check/fold river.
    • MaestroOfZerg

Quite frankly the most +ev decision you could make would have been to leave the table if you have no clue about how to deal with that guy.

As it is, it's a leveling problem more than anything else, so i apologize in advance for the people i'm gonna lose while trying to explain that :) . You described him as competent, if he really is and he's playing 50/30 at nl10, his gameplan is mostly to splash around a lot preflop and outplay the field postflop. That means lots of marginal calls with speculative/trashy hands, lots of moves postflop in spots where most tags are exploitable.

From there i think when that player sees that flop he's thinking "he'll c-bet there with all his opening range, i can float and bet the turn or raise the flop". Not sure how much of a deterrent your huge c-bet is to him, but there is a definite chance he's floating in that spot, which mostly means representing spades if given the opportunity.

You have two choices to combat that, either you bet/fold representing a Q with the idea that he won't raise as a bluff, or you check/call to let him bet all his floats. The disadvantage of the first line is that since he's just monkeying around at nl10 money likely means nothing to him, so him shoving as a bluff anyway is quite possible. The disadvantage of the second line is that most lags can and will fire again on the river once you announced how weak your hand was by check/calling the turn, so you might still get bluffed off if you c/c turn c/f river.

Hard to say which is best, but bet/folding will probably be easier on you since that's probably the line that will prevent him more from both bluffing in that hand and floating too much in future hands. If you start to check/call you'll get more out of his bluffs, but you're mostly guessing on the river without knowing on what level he is.

Hope it helps.