[NL2-NL10] NL10: AK in OOP against 50\30 player

• PavelM11
      Hand was converted using Cake hand converter
      $0,05/$0,10 N/A (yet) (6 handed)
      Known Players:
      Preflop: Hero is BB with K,A.
      MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO raises $0,35, BU folds, SB folds, BB raises $1,20, CO calls $0,85

Flop: ($0) 8,6,4 (2 players)
      BB bets $2, CO raises $4, BB calls $2

Turn: ($0) 7 (2 players)
      BB checks, CO checks

River: ($0) J (2 players)
      BB checks, CO checks

He Had AJ

The the same 50\30 guy. (He often 3-4 bet with hands like 67s. Once he even called my 4-bet shove with T8o. Inspite of the fact that he plays a maniac style he is pretty competent. He plays something like NL400 style)

I've cbet here. He seems to exploit my cbet the best way it's possible at NL10 (first 3 times I really thought he had a monster because of the minraise). I know, my call is some sort of bad: I should have either check-raised or reraised to find out where I stand.

My question is mostly not about the particular hand but about such kind of situations in general: how should I play this hand OOP in such situation? When to cbet, when to check-raise? How can I find out the opp holding in such a situation? Some examples:
      1) I check-raise and get called and the K came on the turn. Do I have the best hand then?
      2) In situation 1 Imagine, this board had a flush draw which came on the turn. Could he have a set, a flush, TP or just overs?

I know it's not common for micros, but I'll definitely encounter more such players at higher stakes. So I need a way to deal with them :D

Thank you in advance.
  • 2 replies
    • SheepMoose
      I would call pre-flop instead of 3betting vs. this maniac. He's going to barrel a lot of ace and king high boards and wouldn't expect AK to be in your flatting range.
    • MaestroOfZerg

If you flat call you'll miss and be forced to fold very often to such an aggressive opponent unless you're comfortable making thin calls or bluff raises with AK-high, which most people at nl10 aren't especially out of position. 3betting is easier, and overall probably better if he's calling a lot of 3bets.

On the flop since you're out of position c-betting is okay, tho on such a board where you're likely to get played back at a lot since it shouldn't hit your 3betting range very often, it's perfectly okay to just c/f. If he's playing back so often that you're ready to make a stand by "semi-bluffing" your 6-outer, check/raising is okay.

As for your questions

1) shove the K turn, he won't expect your to have Kx in that spot, so with the money already in the pot and the fact that you could just shove that "scarecard" as a bluff, he'll look your up with any top pair / overpair.

2) I think he's folding overs and mostly 3bet-shoving everything else for protection on a flushdraw board when you check/raise the flop, so you're rarely going to end up in that spot on the turn. If you do, i'd weight his range more toward average made hands, maybe a top pair waiting for a safe turn to go broke.

Hope it helps.