[NL2-NL10] nl10 fr QJs

• h50n
      what did i do wrong in this hand and how could i have played it better?

i c bet on the flop hoping to take the pot down then he called. in order to get him to bluff induce on the river i checked my two pair on the turn.

Known players:

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with J:heart: , Q:heart:
      MP2 calls $0.10, MP3 folds, Hero raises to $0.50, 3 folds, MP2 calls $0.40.

Flop: ($1.15) A:club: , 4:club: , Q:diamond: (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $0.70, MP2 calls $0.70.

Turn: ($2.55) J:spade: (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($2.55) 8:diamond: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $1.00, Hero raises to $3.00, MP2 raises to $8.20 (All-In), Hero calls $5.20.

Final Pot: $18.95

Results follow (highlight to see):
      MP2 shows three of a kind, eights (8c 8s)
      Hero shows two pairs, queens and jacks (Jh Qh)

MP2 wins with three of a kind, eights (8c 8s)
  • 2 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg

I think you should be again on the turn with two pairs. There is a flushdraw out there, three to a straight and an A, that makes a ton of hands your random fishy limp/caller could call another bet with on the turn, but might not call a river bet nor bluff the river as you know nothing about him.

Checking back the turn and calling a modest river bet on a blank would likely have been fine if you hadn't improved, but as it is your hand on the turn is strong enough to warrant a more aggressive line to get value from worse hands.

As played on the river when he bets his hand looks like a bluff or Ax, value-raising small is fine as he would likely call with top pair. When he shoves you're in an ugly spot, he either has a bluff induced by your weak line, an A he's overplaying, or something that he somehow slowplayed that probably crushes you, like KT or 44. Getting 2.5:1 it's really hard to fold since our weak/funky line might have induced rebluffs, so i call and hate my life.

Hope it helps.
    • Tim64
      Definitely bet the turn for value against Aces.