This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] nl10 fr QJs

• h50n
      h50n
      Bronze
      what did i do wrong in this hand and how could i have played it better?

i c bet on the flop hoping to take the pot down then he called. in order to get him to bluff induce on the river i checked my two pair on the turn.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      MP2:
      $9.40
      Hero:
      $9.90

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with J:heart: , Q:heart:
      MP2 calls $0.10, MP3 folds, Hero raises to $0.50, 3 folds, MP2 calls $0.40.

Flop: ($1.15) A:club: , 4:club: , Q:diamond: (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $0.70, MP2 calls $0.70.

Turn: ($2.55) J:spade: (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($2.55) 8:diamond: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $1.00, Hero raises to $3.00, MP2 raises to $8.20 (All-In), Hero calls $5.20.

Final Pot: $18.95

Results follow (highlight to see):
      MP2 shows three of a kind, eights (8c 8s)
      Hero shows two pairs, queens and jacks (Jh Qh)

MP2 wins with three of a kind, eights (8c 8s)
  • 2 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I think you should be again on the turn with two pairs. There is a flushdraw out there, three to a straight and an A, that makes a ton of hands your random fishy limp/caller could call another bet with on the turn, but might not call a river bet nor bluff the river as you know nothing about him.

Checking back the turn and calling a modest river bet on a blank would likely have been fine if you hadn't improved, but as it is your hand on the turn is strong enough to warrant a more aggressive line to get value from worse hands.

As played on the river when he bets his hand looks like a bluff or Ax, value-raising small is fine as he would likely call with top pair. When he shoves you're in an ugly spot, he either has a bluff induced by your weak line, an A he's overplaying, or something that he somehow slowplayed that probably crushes you, like KT or 44. Getting 2.5:1 it's really hard to fold since our weak/funky line might have induced rebluffs, so i call and hate my life.

Hope it helps.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Definitely bet the turn for value against Aces.