First timer SSS questions

• jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Hi everyone,

quick intro before the questions. I joined PS.com a week ago, got my capital and signed up to Fulltilt. I've been playing live poker(mostly home games) for about 8 years with good results. Tried pokerstars a couple years ago and found it too loose and wild for me. I read a lot of the articles and searched through the forum here on PS. I quickly saw many things I was doing that work in live games that are mistakes online. I decided to use the SSS at the NL10 tables. So today I played my first session at Fulltilt, NL10 SSS. My first table went well and I cashed at 30bb. I then found another table and got bullied out of pots and got no action when I had a solid hand. After a while I was now down 3 1/2 buy ins. It seemed as though all the players at the table were aware of what I was doing and always reraising me off my hands. When I did get a strong enough hand to push they would fold. After realizing what was happening I started stealing blinds and playing back at them. I was able to climb back up past even for the session(+3bb). What I was doing was not much different from the SSS guide but was much more successful. Now the questions.

1) How do I avoid these tables and players?
      2) Should I be playing SSS by the book or do what I was doing at the end of my session?
      3) Why is stealing not part of the SSS(it's very effective once you have an ultra tight image)
      4) Is the SSS something a lot of online players are aware of? People seemed to catch on immediately.

Sorry for the long post. All advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • 4 replies
    • slowshow
      slowshow
      Bronze
      Ok, im a SSS newcomer too, however ill try to share some thoughts. I hope some expierenced guys will correct me. :f_p:

At first i must say that to make ANY reasonable assesments in poker play You must have big history played, cause some bad/good luck elements can kick in or out at random. Big is at least few thousand and since You are only starting to play SSS Your type of play is changing a bit every day, so it makes assesments even worse.

Ok, here goes:
      1) Use hud or look at stats of table, high VPIPs mean loose players, but main idea ir to sit at table with lot of BSS;
      2) Play SSS 100% by the book, like after lots and lots of expierence and when You will master hud readings You can try to do Your own way of play. I experimented a bit and all experiments turned out as money leakage in longterm;
      3) Well stealing maybe IS something cool, but poker is poker and some unknown donks can join table and start to resteal or make nonsense moves, so You can start to leak;
      4) Yes, people are aware, there are less fishy poker rooms and times of day/week, just avoid regulars.

The main idea of SSS is to hit and play table with as much as possible bigstacks seated cause SSS has mathematical BSS implied odd exploiting advantage. Bigstacks MUST play marginal hands to get profit, they CANT afford to fold every time once SSS start to get active, they are just hurting themselves by trying to hurt You. BSS idea ir to speculate on implied odds, so they play with marginal hands, but SSS is just exploiting that by trying to plug into BSS built nice multiway pot with minimal investments and powerful hand. Sometimes it works nicely and You profit in longterm. My suggestion is just to change table, it will be better for everyone :f_biggrin:

And down to 3,5 buyins is nothing in poker, swings will hit You from time to time, if You loose like 5 buyins, i suggest to quit session to avoid TILT. & GL :f_biggrin:
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Hi.

Thanks for the advice. I know that making a judgment after only 400-500 hands was way too early. The table I was at was all big stacks ($7-$15). I was playing in the morning/early afternoon pacific time (don't know if it makes a difference). I'll try again and play by the book. In the meantime I'll keep reading and watching the videos. I'm using the PS Elephant with the basic HUD. I found it did help alot when having to make a decision. The only problem I had with it was that it displayed stats for all the players one seat counterclockwise. It was very annoying but I got used to it. Anyone know why it would do that?

Thanks
    • Meiffert
      Meiffert
      Bronze
      Hi, jonnyquest

Originally posted by jonnyquest
      1) How do I avoid these tables and players?
      2) Should I be playing SSS by the book or do what I was doing at the end of my session?
      3) Why is stealing not part of the SSS(it's very effective once you have an ultra tight image)
      4) Is the SSS something a lot of online players are aware of? People seemed to catch on immediately.
      1. You can have a look at the plrs/flop % of the table. The higher this number, the looser are the players on the table and they just call preflop more often. Also bigstack players are usually somewhat looser but many players with a shortstack are just bad and play loose as well.

2. I don't know exactly what you were doing, so I can't really tell. I suggest that you post some of the hands you are unsure about in the hand evaluation forum and add the reads on opponents and reasons for your play.

3. It is part of the strategy. There is a gold article about steals and resteals.
      The basic strategy was made as simple as possible to still beat the micro stakes. As you play and move up the limits, you will learn new and more advanced concepts of the strategy. Once you reach levels where stealing and restealing is vital to make profit, you will get the information you need about it. ;)
      You can start stealing on micro limits as well, just make sure you don't overdo it and only steal with 'reasonable' hands like broadway cards. If you steal too much, people will get angry (they will take it personally on micro stakes) and resteal too light. :)
      I can only recommend to study all the articles available to you and watch videos. Also the coachings are great thing for improving your game.

4. I don't really think that players on micro stakes know about SSS. Most players with a short stack are just people who don't know how much to buy-in for, so that they go for the minimum.
      On higher stakes people get better idea. They at least know that you you play tight, that you don't defend your blinds too much etc. and sometimes they try to use this knowledge to exploit you.
      But I think you don't have to worry about it until you reach at least NL50.

I only tried Elephant some time ago, so I don't remember how it was done, but I am sure there was a feature which allowed you to change the possitions of the stats.

Good luck
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Thank you for the replies, your comments and suggestions have been very helpful and encouraging. So I gave it another go yesterday and was pretty successful. I was playing NL10 again at Fulltilt. I got cold decked once, bad beaten twice and was quickly down 3 buy ins. I stayed patient and waited and eventually ended the session up a little. So far I've only played about 600 hands so I'm just trying to get to silver status so that I can get access to more learning material.

As far as what I was doing differently, I was playing hands in middle position that I'm only supposed to play in late position. I didn't do it often and only to players who were folding to me. I was doing this only for the blinds and would have folded to any raises. I guess I was lucky to have only got called twice on these hands and never raised. I ended up flopping a set of sevens and the big blind who called me pushed me all-in with top pair jacks ace kicker.

Thanks a lot.