[NL2-NL10] Playing for set value goes wrong

• xnyk

Could you please help me to judge following hand?
      I will not (yet) include turn and river as the most important decision came on flop in my opinion.
      Also, this is my first post, so be forgiving please :-)

Here is the hand:
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5, 5.
      2 folds, BU raises to $1.00, SB folds, Hero calls $0.75.

Flop: ($2.1) 4, 7, 8 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $1.50, Hero raises to $4.87, BU calls $3.37.

BU is 17/13/0.8/134 [VPIP/PFR/AGF/hands] (steal %: 35%). No special read on him.

Hero's plan was to play for set value, thus the call pre flop.
      Now the flop is quite nasty, and re-raise from hero should represent a straight or a set.
      Hero is also raising to take the hand down right now, because 55 doesn't seem to be good enough to stand second barrel.
      Hero also thinks that villain's range is quite wide and should fold a lot in this situation.

After a call from villain, hero is putting him on an over pair. Maybe a set.

What do you think? Is it a spew? What would be a plan for turn and river?

• 2 replies
    • Tim64
      I think you can post this in the next forum up as it's NL25 but here's my two cents worth:

I think it's hard for you to rep a str8 here; can you really convince villain you called a 4bb raise in the BB with 5,6? Given it's a BU raise we might give villain a wide range here as you say. But if that's true then we never have the implied odds to call with connectors in this spot. Such a call would be a little spewy in itself. And so if he's a thinking player I don't see him putting you on that hand here.

Because putting people on a set is always very difficult (if it were easy set-mining wouldn't work at all) I don't think you can assume villain will give you credit for one here, so in general I think your play is a bit loose without reads that villain is nervous and often folds when his c-bet is checkraised.

Anyway, as played, I think I give up after villain calls - he's not likely going anywhere. Unless you hit your 6, of course ;)

Also, just checking and not wishing to be too pushy, but when you say this is your first post, I assume you're not new to NL SH BSS? If you were I'd consider dropping a few limits...
    • Kaitz20
      callign for set value is usually mistake, since BU open raise is too wide
      I would mostly lead out these spots, since I have often best hand and they won´t make too many moves with worse hands
      c/r is also fine, I think you should c/f turn if you don´t improve