Jenoc blog: Doing it wrong

• jenoc
      jenoc
      Bronze
      Hello,

This will be a blog about my success and failures at the tables and maybe in another fields as well. Quite a time I was thinking about my own blog, but was always too lazy to start things going. I hope blog will help me to motivate myself and better organize studying poker and playing itself.

About me:

Jenoc isn't my RL name- it's just a poker name. I'm from Latvia (btw, yes, it's in Europe). I'm a student + have a part time job.

I'm familiar with poker almost for 3 years, but as you can see I haven't made any big progress. Before PS I was playing mostly freerolls, SNG's and some micro FL&NL- burning moniez and reloading :f_p:

On April 2008 I signed on PS.com (from the time PS.com gave me free 50$ I had no need to reload- so this must mean that I have learned at least something) and started to play SNG's- but after 2 months of playing and fighting not to burn my BR I was forced to admit that SnG’s aren’t for me.

So I went to NL cash and pretty fast made it from NL5 to NL10 with BSS, but there it all stopped because of my bad play and lost of interest. A big part of my BR was transfered to sport bookie- dead moniez. Another part left with unknown outcome.

On November 2008 with 70$ on Stars I decided to give SSS a shot. IMO this is where my real poker "career" started- I have realized how important hand posting is, why as a beginner I should strictly follow some rules, importance of BRM n'stuff. In a bit more than two months I made it to NL50, transfered my roll to FTP, but there I was breaking even for about 3 more months (skills, I guess :f_frown: ). Still I had a pretty solid BR mostly thanks to bonuses and FTP rakeback. I even had a idea to become a rakeback whore because with SSS on NL50 with some volume and at least 0+ bb/100 WR it was possible to make not that bad moniez, at least for me.. Good that I didn't choose this way.
      Another time I lost interest in poker..

I decided to switch to BSS and started at NL10- it went kinda good and after 18k hands with 8bb/100 I went to NL25. ATM I have played 25k hands on NL25 and lol, guess what- two days ago my BR reached the point as when I started on NL25 two months ago. Breaking even and lost of interest. And I can't give my best playing bored not to mention studying.

As one can see if I can't win in "short" ( lets say few months) term, then I'm not interested in such a game- this makes me "immune" to games like roulette, slots, craps, n'shit :f_biggrin: But that's a big disadvantage not giving me motivation to study poker to get better and beat that game... So I hope this blog will help me a lot.

Why should one without interest start a blog? Answer is- I tried Pot Limit Omaha!!11 :f_love: One can flop a straight draw with 20 outs, AQxx on a KKKAx board lose to TTxx- that game is just freak'n nutz! :D Jokes aside.

Starting setup:

Game: PLO10 SH on FTP
      BR: 100+ BI
      Skills: I know the rules..

If I get pwnt fast at this limit, I will move down ofc. still I played 300 hands this far and I'm 1 BI+ runinhot :D

Objectives of blog:

1. Set goals and monitor success
      2. Organize my play and keep myself motivated
      3. Improve my English skills as well :)

Organization of blog:

I will make a weekly update every monday and a big update once in a month. In weekly update I will summarize results of my previous week and set goals (like watch this many videos, post this many hands) for next week. Maybe sometimes I will write about something else- some thoughts n'shit.

Goals for Week 1:

1. Read all Omaha Silver articles
      2. Get HM Omaha addon and start to post hands
      3. Watch at least 5 Omaha Silver English videos
      4. Play at least 1k hands

Suggestions, discussion just opinions are welcome!

Jenoc
  • 14 replies
    • Huseens
      Huseens
      Bronze
      Hello! Finally I am not the only Latvian blogging here. :) Good luck with your goals. :) I will be reading this blog. I hope that poker will give you some money for good life in our bad country! Too bad you don't play Holdem. :rolleyes:
    • pontags
      pontags
      Bronze
      My advice for you yenoc would be to start better with FR PLO Omaha, if you know only the rules and havent played it before. I think that game in SH is much more faster and requires a much more skill.
    • pontags
      pontags
      Bronze
      And Good luck!
    • jenoc
      jenoc
      Bronze
      Pontags, I need to admit you are saying truth, but my blog's name explains everything.. :D
    • jenoc
      jenoc
      Bronze
      Quick update

So just a moment ago I got my HM Omaha Small stakes add on licence. Imported all Omaha hands and then I was like, lol, wtf: sir, you are importing it wrong! :f_o:

Sample is very small, still I would be very grateful if someone who plays Omaha could take a look and comment a bit :)

How about NonSD winnings? AFAI understand NonSD can't be positive, because we play mostly nuts, still I'm 4 BI down- feels kinda much..

The good thing is- I can't remember last time when I was this exalted about poker, I'm reading articles, watching videos, and soon will start to post loads of hands :)

Jenoc
    • jenoc
      jenoc
      Bronze
      Week 1

First week playing PLO is over. PC crushed this weekend, so no PLO for 2 long days.. Still all in all played 1.4k hands 2-3 tabling for 1.5-2 h/day
      Need to post more hands and try to reduce those- "omgz what to do now!?" decisions. Bad thing is- there are several events in RL which disturb my PLO adventure (Uni n'shit). Think, I need to find some another resources for PLO to expand my horizon- if someone knows something good for beginners, pls, let me know :)

Goals for Week 1:

1. Read all Omaha Silver articles DONE
      2. Get HM Omaha addon and start to post hands DONE
      3. Watch at least 5 Omaha Silver English videos FAIL 3/5
      4. Play at least 1k hands DONE

Goals for Week 2

1. Watch at least 5 PLO Silver videos
      2. Play at least 1.5k hands
      3. Post at least 25 hands

GL,
      Jenoc

Edit: that freaki'n grammar.. :f_p:
    • jenoc
      jenoc
      Bronze
      Week 2

Speaking in terms of reaching goals for Week 2 I was about this good :f_frown: Had loads of university stuff to do and theres no bottom of it... :f_cry: So when ever had time for poker I was only donking around.
      Need to stop this..

All in all played 1.1k hands managed to loose 2 BI, watched one video and posted some hands. But there are some good news as well- I've received a copy of "Pot Limit Omaha Poker by Jeff Hwang" It's an electronic version of this book for 12$ :f_frown: but in the place where I live you can't just go to bookstore and buy books about poker and for paperbook from, like, "amazon" you need to wait for 2-3 weeks with standard shipment methods.. Sucks

Goals for Week 2

1. Watch at least 5 PLO Silver videos FAIL
      2. Play at least 1.5k hands FAIL
      3. Post at least 25 hands FAIL

Goals for Week 3

1. Watch at least 3 PLO Silver videos
      2. Play at least 1k hands
      3. Post at least 15 hands
      4. Read new book

Jenoc
    • jenoc
      jenoc
      Bronze
      Week 3

This week had 5 long hours for poker.. Played 1075 hands and managed to be 3BI down :f_frown: Posted 12 hands.
      Good news - "Pot Limit Omaha Poker" by Jeff Hwang seems to be a really appropriate book for beginners- author is trying to sort playable hands by strength and structure - very useful for me. Also this book has a nice chapter about wrap hands and how and why the structure of those hands is so important. As well there are some facts in this book differing from PS.com Omaha Silver articles, but it's always ok to learn something new and have the choice to compare.
      One thing that really bothers me about my play is NonSDW - I'm running like -16bb/100 on 4k hands.. Next week I'll make monthly update- post graph and fishy stats. WIN!

Goals for Week 3

1. Watch at least 3 PLO Silver videos DONE
      2. Play at least 1k hands DONE
      3. Post at least 15 hands FAIL
      4. Read new book DONE

Goals for Week 4

1. Play at least 1k hands
      2. Post at least 15 hands

Jenoc
    • Irooz
      Irooz
      Bronze
    • jenoc
      jenoc
      Bronze
      Hi, Irooz

Thanks for leaving comment :)
      Thing is I'm really enjoying Omaha, but I'm bad at this game as well. Maybe it wasn't the best idea to start with SH, but I like to do it wrong :f_p:

I'd say this book concentrates on Omaha basic theory so this could be more for FR but I think it's good for SH as well. I like the way author is discussing topics and trying to define some key concepts. IMO this is a very useful book for everyone new to PLO. Jeff Hwang has another book "Advanced Pot Limit Omaha", which is more towards SH play.

I following your blog as well, good luck!
    • jenoc
      jenoc
      Bronze
      Month 1
      Week 4

A productive week- played 2k hands and posted loads of hands + watched 3 videos. Best thing is I'm still in love with this game :f_love: And every time I start my session I'm like this

I'm trying to widen up my PFR raising range- for last 2k hands I even managed to play like 21/10!!1 doh :f_frown:
      I've reduced my table count down to 2. Volume is small, but- hey it's all about quality!
      Another thing- my NonSD winnings continue to fall in abyss and look just awful- I feel like bet/folding very often, however Silver video producers mention in their vids that bet/folding is often a good choice... :f_confused:

Goals for Week 4

1. Play at least 1k hands DONE
      2. Post at least 15 hands DONE

All in all I've passed my first month in PLO10 SH, played 6187 hands and lost 7BI.

Stats and graph:

Nice WR, sir... :f_p: What to do with those evil NonSDW, I'm running -24bb/100 :f_o: Now when I'm playing only 2 tables at time, maybe this will help in some way.

I would be much obliged if someone would comment on my stats, any opinion is welcome! :)

From now on think I will set goals for month, and make one weekly update reporting how I'm doing.

Goals for Month 2

1. DO NOT LEAVE PLO! lol
      2. Play at least 8k hands
      3. Post at least 70 hands
      4. Read some new interesting material about PLO

GL at tables, lock n load!!

Jenoc
    • KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      I like your goal #1... i read another players PLO blog who was getting upset with the nature of the game and was tempted to quit... Best of luck to you on the tables :f_biggrin:
    • Irooz
      Irooz
      Bronze
    • jenoc
      jenoc
      Bronze
      Week 5 and 6

Fail! Missed update last week, still it's not to late to do it now.
      Over the last week I haven't played a single PLO hand, this sucks.. However over last 2 weeks I've played 2.4k hands and ZOMG! no way- I made a sick 21 bb profit.. Still on those 2.4k hands I'm 4BI under EV and this makes me really happy (well, not the fact- being under EV, but having positive EV), because it shows that I could be on the right way. I was playing 21/12/3.4 with 24% WtSD and compared to my starting 20/8/5.7 22% WtSD imo it's a little progress :)

Jenoc