SSS, raise go all-in with AK? fold pocket pairs with a higher card on board?

• TTarkan
      TTarkan
      Bronze
      Hi everybody I have been playing FL for whole month long but I just got bored and wanted to try NL SSS strategy once more. Having been played for a few day I noticed that AK doesnt have an edge on many hands being lost agaist even two AQ at the same hand made me rethink about raising and going all in with AK's. When I open raise with AK and one person raises behind the table says I should try to go all in. But the opponents often have pocket pairs so I dont have an edge over them. If I dont go all in and dont hit a pair when I am out of position I bet to make the opponent fold but they often raise and I go all in and lose. If I am in position and they check/ raise me and I lose again against pocket pairs often. Even when I hit my pair on flop I lose many times. So what should I do? Avoid playing with AK's? limp in with small pair 55-TT, raise go all-in with JJ-AA?
      I also tend check/fold if there is a higher card on the board than my pocket pairs esspecialy if there are more than one higher card on the board or one higher card on board with a multiway pot I fold easily when someone bets or raises.
      Is it more profitable to do so?
      Waiting for your advices...
  • 6 replies
    • shortfuse
      shortfuse
      Bronze
      there's a fixed limit SSS?
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by shortfuse
      there's a fixed limit SSS?
      Did you even read his post?

I'm probably not the guy to answer all your questions, but I think most of it looks more or less standard and you can easily get that information from beginner articles :)
    • superjunk
      superjunk
      Bronze
      Well, AK is a profitable hand.
      Players often go all in with AQ/AJ/AT/KQ/KJ and where big favorites.
      Againt PP's where only slight underdogs, and when we openraised from ealry position and a players 3-bets from the CO with TT+ AQs+ AKo
      its 56% vs 44% so we got a +EV shove with our raise+blinds in the pot.

SSS nl10 & nl25 just to prove AK= +EV

Do you play with stats ?
    • Meiffert
      Meiffert
      Bronze
      Hi, TTarkan

Originally posted by TTarkan
      When I open raise with AK and one person raises behind the table says I should try to go all in. But the opponents often have pocket pairs so I dont have an edge over them.
      This is true, but you have to realise that you already have 4 bb in the pot. Therefore you only need to put in another 16 to win a pot which will have 40 bb (let's ignore blinds and rake, say they nullify each other).
      Therefore you only need to win 16/40 = 0.4 -> 40 % of the cases. And with AK against a pocket pair you have about 44 %. Yes, it's bad that you go all-in when you expect to have the worse hand but it is still better than folding.
      If you go all-in, you will have 44 % of 40 bb on average, which is 17.6 bb. Altough it's bad that at the beginning of the hand you had 20 and therefore you lost, if you fold, you are left with your 16 which is even worse.

If I dont go all in and dont hit a pair when I am out of position I bet to make the opponent fold but they often raise and I go all in and lose.
      If I am in position and they check/ raise me and I lose again against pocket pairs often.
      If you bet as a bluff and your opponent raises, you shouldn't go all-in in this situation, unless you have some kind of draw (only overcards isn't enough). Just fold and save your 10 bb left. Next time you will hit your top pair and when the opponent raises, you can easily go all-in and win.

Avoid playing with AK's? limp in with small pair 55-TT
      No, play as the strategy says you should. It is the most profitable way with short stack.

I also tend check/fold if there is a higher card on the board than my pocket pairs
      If you are against 1 opponent, you can still continuation bet as a bluff and fold if he raises. Against multiple opponents it is correct to give up.

Try to reread the articles, you can find answers to most of your questions.
    • TTarkan
      TTarkan
      Bronze
      Thank you very much Meiffert and superjunk. I think I got an answer to all my questions. That was really educational :)
    • RaunoPoke
      RaunoPoke
      Bronze
      dude, i just got pissed off alot, so i wanted to come whine and make topic about AK also,
      i lose with AK like always

i lose even vs other AKo-s lol

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 Pot-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $3.70
      BB(Hero):
      $2.59
      MP1:
      $11.12
      MP2:
      $2.58
      MP3:
      $4.58
      CO:
      $10.52
      BU:
      $4.87

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, A.
      4 folds, BU calls $0.10, SB folds, Hero raises to $0.22, BU raises to $0.71, Hero raises to $2.28, BU raises to $4.97, Hero calls $0.41.

Flop: ($7.51) 3, J, 6 (0 players)
      Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Turn: ($7.51) 8 (0 players)

River: ($7.51) 4 (0 players)

Final Pot: $7.1.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a flush, king high(K A).
      BU shows a flush, ace high(A K).

BU wins with a flush, ace high(A K).

sick huh?

AKo i have losed like always
      today ive got it like 20 times and i think ive losed all times when i went all in with it
      losed vs QJ, vs AJ etc