This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL 25 SSS problems with AK

• Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hi

Firstly I wanted to discuss about the AK. To me it´s not very profitable hand so far, it gets beaten by jacks, queens, kings and aces. No-one pushes any more AQ, AJ and they only call with TT-22. Of course there´s exceptions:)

So if I want to earn money in the long run I´ve have to figure it out, if I should call or fold pushes with my AK. TT-JJ it would be quite auto fold, unless I´ve only half my stack left, but let me give you some example:
      1)
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)
      BU:
      $49,41
      UTG+2:
      $9,05
      MP1:
      $5,20
      Hero:
      $4,45
      UTG+1:
      $8,90
      MP3:
      $26,35
      BB:
      $25,35
      SB:
      $24,95
      MP2:
      $31,55

0,10/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.7 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:club: , K:spade:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0,75, 2 folds, BB raises to $5,00, Hero raises to $4,45 (All-In).

Flop: ($9,55) Q:heart: , T:diamond: , 5:spade:
      Turn: ($9,55) 4:heart:
      River: ($9,55) T:club:

Final Pot: $9,55

I always steal 3x BB on late positsion, so I don´t loose so much money. Here BB pushes and I think that I should fold, but I autocalled. I´m behind every pair and hardly any solid player push with nothing less (I´m still playing on the NL 25 limit:D )

But standard situation is next: I raise 4xBB my AK with UTG or MP and late position player (generally big stack) puts me all-in. I mostly have 4$ left and pot is generally 5,10$ or 5,25$ so do I call or fold. If there has been the limper, then pot would be bigger and I would have 3,75 left, then it would be again autocall, but here I´m not so sure. Could someone make some calculations:) , when BB would push AK, AA, KK, QQ and sometimes maybe JJ (lag type of persons why like to play a lot of pots).

2)
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)
      SB:
      $28,70
      UTG:
      $35,10
      CO:
      $27,10
      Hero:
      $5
      MP2:
      $30,16
      UTG+2:
      $12,60
      BU:
      $6,50
      MP3:
      $8,68
      MP1:
      $24,75
      BB:
      $12

0,10/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.7 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A:spade: , K:diamond:
      UTG raises to $1,00, 3 folds, MP2 calls $1,00, 4 folds, BB calls $0,75.

Flop: ($3,10) 8:club: , 8:diamond: , K:spade: (3 players)
      BB bets $1,25, UTG calls $1,25, MP2 folds.

Turn: ($5,60) 5:heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, UTG bets $2, BB folds.

Final Pot: $7,60

Good fold?
      Calling seems senseless, because 2/3 time I don´t hit anything. And again not so sure, if I should re-raise to 3$. Then I would only have 2$ and I would be pot commited (easy all-in pre-flop, or after the flop). I could hope that UTG raise with AK-AQ, AA-TT. Then AK have some +equity, I guess, Am I right?

3)
      MP1:
      $70,55
      Hero:
      $5,75
      UTG:
      $4,85
      CO:
      $25,10
      SB:
      $26,40
      MP3:
      $7,95
      UTG+1:
      $25,40
      UTG+2:
      $4
      BU:
      $3,90
      BB:
      $5,65

0,10/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A:heart: , K:spade:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $1,00, 3 folds, SB calls $0,90, BB folds.

Flop: ($2,25) A:diamond: , 6:club: , J:heart: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($2,25) 9:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $1, Hero raises to $2,75, SB folds.

Final Pot: $6,00

Is it alright to trap the player a little. I don´t know if he should call with weaker ace if I would bet like 1$. I could pretend that I have KK, then I would probably bet 1,5$ and would fold to the re-raise, but I don´t know how much he would call and if he really has ace. Very hard to find good valuebet here.
  • 2 replies
    • mchaggis
      mchaggis
      Bronze
      2 is defo a reraise (unless you know that UTG only raises with premium hands)
      There are so many hands he could raise with and are worse than AK
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      So if I want to earn money in the long run I´ve have to figure it out, if I should call or fold pushes with my AK.

I feel that AK is always a better hand to play when YOU are the aggressor.

1)Depends very much on image and the character of the BB. If BB is putting you on a steal here, then you are OK to call. If BB has small (22-QQ) PP then your call is very close to neutral EV.

2)I don't know NL25 so I can't say. Get yourself PAHUD and you'll often know when it is OK to fold AK to an opening raise and no callers.

3)On that flop I'd bet 1/2 pot. As played, your story is that you have missed the flop and are possibly scared of the A. To be consistent you have to flat call the turn.