[NL2-NL10] NL4 AQ flop raise/call, river check/fold

• Huseens
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q, A.
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.16, BU folds, SB calls $0.14, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.36) 8, 6, Q (2 players)
      SB bets $0.04, Hero raises to $0.23, SB raises to $0.42, Hero calls $0.19.

Turn: ($1.2) J (2 players)
      SB bets $0.04, Hero calls $0.04.

River: ($1.28) K (2 players)
      SB bets $1.22, Hero folds, SB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.28.

Was the call on the flop good move. I think his bet on the turn was to induce a bluff. And I can be sure that I am beat on the river right?
  • 2 replies
    • rickydaprince
      4bet on the flop... he could easily have a worse Q or some drawing hand and being aggressive. As played, without any decent reads, on the turn you should raise and fold to a 3bet. You don't even need to raise that much either on the turn... around 1/2 pot would be ok given the flop action in my opinion. Pretty much every draw hits on the turn... so raise and then give up if he raises again.
    • MaestroOfZerg

Really hard to say without knowing anything about him. Some players might take that line as a rebluff on the flop if they're paranoid about aggression and thinking mostly on a per-action basis, but for the majority of the fishes out there this is usually a straight inducing line for value.

The question then becomes would he do that for value with a worse hand like Qx, and there is really no way to answer unless you've seen him play before. Did you see him minbet/fold a bunch postflop, minbet/call a draw, does he minbet/3bet all the time? From there you have two choices, either you decide to go with the hand, or you take a pot-control line and fold to continued aggression especially on bad turn/river cards.

If you think he's insane or would do that for value with a worse Kx, there is no reason for you to wait for the board to get ugly before putting the money in, so just 4bet and call a shove. If you have no reason to use the previous line, i'd suggest you just take the pot control line you did and wait for a safe turn.

As played it's not a safe turn but the odds make it a mandatory turn call, i see no reason to jam more money in once the flush gets there and QJ beats you as well, if anything that might scare away worse hands.

On the river it really looks like he was doing that for value all along so it's mostly a fold, but if you get a weird feeling on his timing and you think you'll keep playing with him a bunch, i don't mind calling for 30bb since you'll randomly be good there sometimes.

Hope it helps.