Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      MP2:
      $53.71
      Hero:
      $66.90

0.25/0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with J:diamond: , K:diamond:
      MP2 raises to $1.50, 2 folds, Hero calls $1.50, 2 folds.

Flop: ($3.75) 3:heart: , 3:club: , K:spade: (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $2.67, MP2 raises to $7.00, Hero calls $4.33.

Turn: ($17.75) Q:spade: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $13.50, Hero calls $13.50.

River: ($44.75) Q:heart: (2 players)
      MP2 raises $31.71 (All-In), Hero calls $31.71.

Final Pot: $108.17

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows two pairs, kings and queens (Jd Kd)
      MP2 shows two pairs, queens and threes (9s Ts)

Hero wins with two pairs, kings and queens (Jd Kd)

Pre Flop: He has a wide PFR raise (24) + I have position, worth a call.
      Flop: Bet/Call, 3 isn't in his range, so probably up aginst Kx (prob K9/K10), I decide to call passively incase rare chance (KQ/AK/AQ/AA)
      Turn: Unlikely to improve his hand, call passively + he is very aggresive post-flop (8.5)
      River: Now Very unlikely he has a Queen, his line makes no sense, I deliberate and call

Although it was the right move this time, I don't want to develop a bad habit, is this a +EV play long term or very situation/opponent dependant.
  • 3 replies
    • maya1984
      maya1984
      Bronze
      EV question is dependent on the opponent, hero and table dynamics.
      If he is super aggo. and you have a good read your play is fine, but I think that most NL50 tags will show up with AA,AK,AQ or KQ most of the times.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

It's very opponent-dependent, lag-on-tag action can get pretty wild. That said, most lags at nl50 don't use a c/r line as a standard as the preflop aggressor, tags are still weak/tight enough for them to simply fire twice with air/good top pairs on those paired boards and take it down against anything but a strong Kx.

So unless you found the one guy who just c/r everything in that spot, which given his AF is actually possible, he should usually just fire away with his air on the flop on such a dry board, and keep fancy plays for AK+ type of hands. But since that guy is over aggressive and it's the first time you've seen him do that against you, calling him down is fine too.

He shows T9s which is a bit surprising but certainly not astonishing. You'll just need to widen his betting/check-raising ranges to include all the stuff that even remotely has some equity, meaning gutshots/backdoor draws hands mostly, maybe stuff like bottom pair x kicker too. Stuff that has enough equity for him not to give up against a field composed mostly of weak tags, but not enough for him to feel confident bet/3betting them.

Either try and stay out of his way, or get ready to make thin calls for a lot of money. Try not to over-adjust tho, a lot of his income comes from people seeing him do that once and then calling him down all the time, but unless he's totally clueless (which i don't think he is) he'll calm down on the big streets against you in the future.

Hope it helps.
    • GrantJennings
      GrantJennings
      Bronze
      As a recovering lag-tard now weak-tight tag, this hand and analysis was just awesome. :f_love: