This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

long sessions

• raun
      raun
      Bronze
      how long sessions can you manage?

i had a session of like 6 hours today and towards the end i noticed that i got very impatient and very easily got frustrated and i wound up tilting a little bit of the days profit away.

how long sessions can you play before it impacts your game?

i think that i should play no more than 4 hours a day.

and also i have made a rule for myself that as soon as my mood is seriously negatively affected by poker i stop for the day.
  • 19 replies
    • shortfuse
      shortfuse
      Bronze
      are you fukcin insane?

I play 1-2 hours max 6 tabling Shorthanded games now.

I usually notice drops in concentration by this point and bordem so switch off the game. I can usually make 2 stacks and am fairly satisfied but as soon as I notice I don't have the drive to make more then I switch off regardless of time.

Point is: aim for concentration not volume!

I also find that I can only play one session a day, as soon as I crank it up for the next session I immediately become bored. Maybe I need something to work towards e.g a gift for myself :)
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      i just get greedy. so even though i am bored i cant get myself to leave. i allways want 100$ more.

i also only play 1 session a day and usually its around 3-4 hours.
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      I play 2-3 2 hour sessions per day, with a session of 2-3 hours of review/videos/reading.....but then I am very sad
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Normal session lasts 3-4 hours unless I quit earlier for some external reason. Longest I ever did was 10 hours.
    • KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      I normally play a few 1-2 hour sessions but I am going to try and ramp up my volume by increasing my session length and also play multiple sessions in a single day. Playing long 4-5 hour sessions really effects my mindset and I am more prone to tilt after getting the raw end of the variance stick, which is normal for longer sessions.
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      Originally posted by shortfuse
      are you fukcin insane?

:)
      + 1 :D

I wish i could find six hours a day for poker............. can barely find 1 except on Sundays
    • ShadowOfLight1337
      ShadowOfLight1337
      Bronze
      I'm guessing this topic isn't about tourney's right? :D

Anyway, on cashgames I usually do around 2-3 hours a day. That's when I start to get bored.
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Berzerger
      Normal session lasts 3-4 hours unless I quit earlier for some external reason. Longest I ever did was 10 hours.
      10 hours :o u must have been on a sick winning spree to go on for that long. or maybe very intent on winning back lost money?

@Andyb43 well these days i am living off poker so i have all the time in the world.
    • degre
      degre
      Bronze
      My average session used to be around 3/4 hours, at times longer if I've had enough time and i was still relaxed after that time.
      Used to 9 table and that was quite strssful, now with 4 tables is way better.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      My concentration wanders and I get tired after about 2 hours of playing 4 tables. Sometimes I get tired after 1:30 hours and log off instead of losing my winnings in the last 0.30 mins.

My problem is that I live in a noisy place and I'm woken up around 5:30 am every day, and I'm used to going to bed at 12 am, so not getting enough sleep.

Yesterday I went to bed at 10pm and fell asleep just before 11pm and I feel much better today. I must go to bed at 10pm max!
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      i couldnt live with that little sleep. i go to bed 11pm and get up 8am. i think i need at least 8 hours of sleep and i believe less than 7 hours is quite unhealthy in the long run.
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lennonac
      I play 2-3 2 hour sessions per day, with a session of 2-3 hours of review/videos/reading.....but then I am very sad
      i think i will start doing it your way. 2 or 3 sessions of 2 hours. did it today and it feels much more nice.
    • Jdz
      Jdz
      Bronze
      1-2 hours with 4 tables.

Would like to do slightly longer sessions.
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      slightly less then 1 hour sessions: load up 20-25 sng's and grind 'm till they're finished.

I really lose focus when I play longer + it gets confusing because of the different blind lvl's.
    • SuperSeanE
      SuperSeanE
      Global
      I 9 table usually 12 hour sessions. With a 30 minute break i the middle. I do this 5 days a week. Pretty insane but over time it gets easier
    • Zheelvern
      Zheelvern
      Bronze
      12 tabling 6 max. for 3h in the morning and then 2h before sleeping.
      My longest session was 30-35h long when I was clearing my 5K bonus and that was the last day before it expires :P
    • KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      Originally posted by Zheelvern
      My longest session was 30-35h long when I was clearing my 5K bonus and that was the last day before it expires :P
      I know the feeling :f_biggrin: , Nothing like a bonus to get you grinding
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Zheelvern
      SN?
    • kevinsmak
      kevinsmak
      Basic
      I noticed I would play worse after an hour so I break it up, set alarm for hour and once that hits finish up and I'm done. Break has to be at least an hour then I can play again, don't get me wrong I have had my 10 hour sessions it's just this appears to be the best way for me in less I'm running really good.