long sessions

• raun
      raun
      Bronze
      how long sessions can you manage?

i had a session of like 6 hours today and towards the end i noticed that i got very impatient and very easily got frustrated and i wound up tilting a little bit of the days profit away.

how long sessions can you play before it impacts your game?

i think that i should play no more than 4 hours a day.

and also i have made a rule for myself that as soon as my mood is seriously negatively affected by poker i stop for the day.
  • 19 replies
    • shortfuse
      shortfuse
      Bronze
      are you fukcin insane?

I play 1-2 hours max 6 tabling Shorthanded games now.

I usually notice drops in concentration by this point and bordem so switch off the game. I can usually make 2 stacks and am fairly satisfied but as soon as I notice I don't have the drive to make more then I switch off regardless of time.

Point is: aim for concentration not volume!

I also find that I can only play one session a day, as soon as I crank it up for the next session I immediately become bored. Maybe I need something to work towards e.g a gift for myself :)
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      i just get greedy. so even though i am bored i cant get myself to leave. i allways want 100$ more.

i also only play 1 session a day and usually its around 3-4 hours.
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      I play 2-3 2 hour sessions per day, with a session of 2-3 hours of review/videos/reading.....but then I am very sad
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Normal session lasts 3-4 hours unless I quit earlier for some external reason. Longest I ever did was 10 hours.
    • KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      I normally play a few 1-2 hour sessions but I am going to try and ramp up my volume by increasing my session length and also play multiple sessions in a single day. Playing long 4-5 hour sessions really effects my mindset and I am more prone to tilt after getting the raw end of the variance stick, which is normal for longer sessions.
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      Originally posted by shortfuse
      are you fukcin insane?

:)
      + 1 :D

I wish i could find six hours a day for poker............. can barely find 1 except on Sundays
    • ShadowOfLight1337
      ShadowOfLight1337
      Bronze
      I'm guessing this topic isn't about tourney's right? :D

Anyway, on cashgames I usually do around 2-3 hours a day. That's when I start to get bored.
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Berzerger
      Normal session lasts 3-4 hours unless I quit earlier for some external reason. Longest I ever did was 10 hours.
      10 hours :o u must have been on a sick winning spree to go on for that long. or maybe very intent on winning back lost money?

@Andyb43 well these days i am living off poker so i have all the time in the world.
    • degre
      degre
      Bronze
      My average session used to be around 3/4 hours, at times longer if I've had enough time and i was still relaxed after that time.
      Used to 9 table and that was quite strssful, now with 4 tables is way better.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      My concentration wanders and I get tired after about 2 hours of playing 4 tables. Sometimes I get tired after 1:30 hours and log off instead of losing my winnings in the last 0.30 mins.

My problem is that I live in a noisy place and I'm woken up around 5:30 am every day, and I'm used to going to bed at 12 am, so not getting enough sleep.

Yesterday I went to bed at 10pm and fell asleep just before 11pm and I feel much better today. I must go to bed at 10pm max!
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      i couldnt live with that little sleep. i go to bed 11pm and get up 8am. i think i need at least 8 hours of sleep and i believe less than 7 hours is quite unhealthy in the long run.
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lennonac
      I play 2-3 2 hour sessions per day, with a session of 2-3 hours of review/videos/reading.....but then I am very sad
      i think i will start doing it your way. 2 or 3 sessions of 2 hours. did it today and it feels much more nice.
    • Jdz
      Jdz
      Bronze
      1-2 hours with 4 tables.

Would like to do slightly longer sessions.
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      slightly less then 1 hour sessions: load up 20-25 sng's and grind 'm till they're finished.

I really lose focus when I play longer + it gets confusing because of the different blind lvl's.
    • SuperSeanE
      SuperSeanE
      Global
      I 9 table usually 12 hour sessions. With a 30 minute break i the middle. I do this 5 days a week. Pretty insane but over time it gets easier
    • Zheelvern
      Zheelvern
      Bronze
      12 tabling 6 max. for 3h in the morning and then 2h before sleeping.
      My longest session was 30-35h long when I was clearing my 5K bonus and that was the last day before it expires :P
    • KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      Originally posted by Zheelvern
      My longest session was 30-35h long when I was clearing my 5K bonus and that was the last day before it expires :P
      I know the feeling :f_biggrin: , Nothing like a bonus to get you grinding
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Zheelvern
      SN?
    • kevinsmak
      kevinsmak
      Basic
      I noticed I would play worse after an hour so I break it up, set alarm for hour and once that hits finish up and I'm done. Break has to be at least an hour then I can play again, don't get me wrong I have had my 10 hour sessions it's just this appears to be the best way for me in less I'm running really good.