AK in DON's

• Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      OK, so AK is one of the better starting hands... In MTT's, SNG's and MTT's I play it agressively preflop.

In DON's though I fold to a raise preflop and even fold to any limpers. My reason for this is limpers usually have a PP and a raise usually indicates TT+. Although I would be ahead of alot of these hands preflop I would struggle to know where I am postflop.

I now only play AK in push/fold when I have a lot of FE and in late position early/mid game when I can raise it up safe in the knowledge i'll either take the pot there and then or a simple c-bet on the flop will seal the deal.

How do others play AK in DON's? Am I playing the right way or is this a massive leak?
  • 7 replies
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      interesting.........

With AK my clicking finger would overide my brain and I'd play it unless there was a raise + Reraise before me.

Rather than fold to a limp, limp w the limpers? In DON's I've found many players play any A w any kicker.
    • SuperSeanE
      SuperSeanE
      Global
      ak in DONs creates quite a few problems. Some players play it so badly that they are wiping out lots of there roi in the long run. I think you are correct to pass it to a raise preflop if the raiser is in early or early middle position. However in late position things beome more marginal- against a good regular I would still fold in the early stages but against a donk who donates his chips every game I would be tempted to take a flop with him and try to stack him with little risk figuring that my superior play will make this worthwhile.

I tend to raise limpers with ak unless I have notes on a player that he likes to limp reraise from early position.

I the later stages it is a great hand to push with without doublt but when you have a healthy stack you can and should just fold it.

I find that many players tend to reraise wih ak preflop in the early stages which is a masive leak if the initial raiser is a regualr who undrstands the structure and how to play these games as these players would not have the 10s and up that you state but rahter kk or aa maybe qq which is not a good range for your ak lol.

But yes I think to a late positoin raise from a bad player we can take a flop i the early stages but otherwise a fold is a wise move when the blinds are small.

Make sure in the mid stages when the antes kick in and we are 7/8 handed that you open for a riase here as in the mid stages are aim is to maitain our 1500 stack and ak is a goos hand to pick up the blinds.

Hope this helps
    • donroops
      donroops
      Bronze
      I play it pretty much just as op described.
      I used to play it aggressively early, but the bad players are still around who are happy to call wide, and not fold much to cbets. So you pretty much have to hit to win the pot.
      So yea, fold it early, unless you're first in late position. Sometimes i do like to raise it over a limper if limper if it's sooted tho.
      Sooted are teh nutz :f_cool:
    • fljama
      fljama
      Bronze
      Wll AK is also knowen for one of the best trapping hands...

if you just limp in and someone raise you with AQ, AJ, A10, KQ, KJ, K10, K9

and A or K hits flop they will 90 % of time continue raising and they are in big troubble, i just trapped AQ this way before 5 minutes first hand in SnG and he was out since A hit the flop.
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Cheers for the replies all..

AK used to be my single biggest leak without doubt. When I first started playing I was happy to throw all of my chips in preflop :f_eek:

I'm confident i'm playing it as well as I can do now so on to my next leak.... lol I realised last night that i'm playing QQ with too much preflop aggression. That's for another post though...
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Originally posted by fljama
      Wll AK is also knowen for one of the best trapping hands...

if you just limp in and someone raise you with AQ, AJ, A10, KQ, KJ, K10, K9

and A or K hits flop they will 90 % of time continue raising and they are in big troubble, i just trapped AQ this way before 5 minutes first hand in SnG and he was out since A hit the flop.
      In DON's, especially when playing lots of tables, the spots you mention would be too marginal. I only want my chips in the pot when I can be 90% sure i'm taking it down.
    • POLINGPOWER
      POLINGPOWER
      Bronze
      leraning it the hard way, no more all in PF in early stage with out hitting it first