IMPORTANT QUESTION - basic rule

• norbinw
      norbinw
      Bronze
      Ok this may sound silly, but WHEN is the pot splitted between players? i know it is split when both have same hands.. but there are other occasions too, when hands differ..
      example 1. - deck: K K 7 Q Q player 1: A,10 player 2: 7,J
      is the pot splitted in 2? non of the players can use any of theyr cards..

example 2. - deck: 3 7 2 J 2 player 1: A,9 player 2: 6,9
      in this case i think the player with the Ace kicker wins it...

but WHY? the deuce pair (second) came at the river... so how does the river card split apply?

example 3: - deck 6 7 8 9 5 (straight) player 1: A,2 player 2: J,K
      in this case the pot is split.. right?

So please explain to me, how does this work. This is the basic rule i don't get. you can even write examples. Thank you.
  • 5 replies
    • Pichux
      Pichux
      Bronze
      exapmle #1 - board:KK7QQ player1:AT ; player2:J7
      No there is no split pot. Any combination consist of 5 cards overall, including the kickers. Here we have two pair on the board, the 7 pair doesn't count, cause it's lover than kings and queens, BUT the first players Ace kicker does. Thats why player1 winns the pot. For example if player1 have had TT here he lost becuase of the second players jack kicker.

example #2 - board 372J2 player1: A9 ; player2: 69
      Can't see this as a split pot. there is a pair of deuces and kickers. nothing more. Also a splitpot flush i think here is impossible.

example #3 - board 67895 player1: A2 ; player2: KJ
      Yes in this time it's split pot because all fice cards are used up to make a straight, and there are no kickers in this occasion.

Hope this helps ;)
    • norbinw
      norbinw
      Bronze
      i think i understand... so you need to have 5 cards (with kicker).
      ex. at two pairs from the board, the 5th card is your kicker...
      at one pair from the board, the 3rd card is your kicker.. (you don't use both cards from your hand, only the biggest)
      if i have any more questions, i will ask.. currently im out
    • norbinw
      norbinw
      Bronze
      ok:
      deck K K 10 7 3 p1: K,8 p2: K,9
      in this situation the winner is P2, with K K K +10kicker +9kicker? (vs, K K K +10 +8)
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      Correct. Best 5 cards out of 7 win.
    • Meiffert
      Meiffert
      Bronze
      Originally posted by norbinw
      i think i understand... so you need to have 5 cards (with kicker).
      ex. at two pairs from the board, the 5th card is your kicker...
      at one pair from the board, the 3rd card is your kicker.. (you don't use both cards from your hand, only the biggest)
      You can use both your cards sometimes.
      Say you have AK vs. AJ and the board 5Q538.
      Now you and your opponent both have a pair of fives with A kicker, but you still have a better hand 55AKQ vs. his 55AQJ. If the high card for both players is the same the other card counts (but not if it would be 6th or 7th card because the cards on board are even stronger).
      If you have A7 vs. A3 and the board comes KJ29J, you would play the best 5 cards, which is JJAK9 and your opponents hand would be the same JJAK9, hence you would split the pot.