This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

How often do you steal the blinds at early stages of SnG?

• 12 replies
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      I do with every chance I can. It is said to be worth 2% roi in a turbo and 4% roi in a normal speed
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lennonac
      I do with every chance I can. It is said to be worth 2% roi in a turbo and 4% roi in a normal speed
      Noted :f_cool:

I don't steal at the lower blind levels, and I'm still fairly tight as the blinds increase, but when they're really big in Push or Fold mode I attack them a lot...

I do tend to increase my steal % though when I am in games where I have less of an edge when it comes to ICM... Basically if there are a lot of regs at a table, stealing in the early phases can be super +EV and you can build a decent stack... but where I normally play there are so many :f_grin: that I feel I have a decent edge in the push or fold mode that I like to preserve my chips for that...
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      I hear you nick, obviously I select who I steal from, a tight player I am stealing from all day long, note I dont steal with any two but around 50% shows an instant profit if you include it with c bets.

If the player is playing 30+ vpip I tighten my range but also dont let it put me off too much. Sometimes it doesnt work and you go into the push fold stage slightly down...say 1100-1200.

Obviously there is merit to both plays and the more standard is to play tight and use your ICM skills to gain your edge. I like to think that I play better than most at the $11's post flop as well as Push/fold stage of the sit n go.

If you download ICM Explorer you will see that calling and making small bets has little affect on you $EV but makes a big difference in terms of fold equity.

The fish tend to dominate the early stages of a sit n go and to be honest there are not many chances to steal due to multible limpers. But if the chance is there and I have a semi decent hand I am taking that chance. I am a little wary of regs and if they play back at me I take notes on this. I had AQs in the sb against a reg, the previous orbit I had stolen from him and now I am doing it again. He got the hump and 3 bet me, I 4 bet him smallish and he shoved. I had already commited quite a few chips so I checked his notes. I had written "Defends BB from SB wide" So I called, he showed me ATo and I double through, more importantly I take a reg out of the game.
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      Im not sure I want to keep giving my playing style away with you lurking around Nick :f_cry:
    • FWKanobi
      FWKanobi
      Bronze
      Did we watch the same movie from Stoxpoker about blind stealing ? :D
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      Yeah, its a very interesting video
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      Im not sure I want to keep giving my playing style away with you lurking around Nick :f_cry:
      No no don't worry... keep telling me how you play... it's OK :f_p:

Yeah I definitely get the merits of it, and it is something I have given much thought to. My personal resolution is to stick to the more standard approach because iPoker has a great blind structure and they increase decently so you're not waiting for P/F for 45 mins... 2ndly I play up to 14 tables at times so creating more marginal spots can affect my overall play, and given that the field is so soft I believe it is more +EV for me to grind more tables than ATS more frequently...

One of the other arguments is that if I steal regularly in a SB v BB or but v blinds scenario is when it gets to PF mode they are ready to call me light... when I have a supertight/solid image and they're not regs then I have increased FE when I push ATC into them orbit after orbit... I may be wrong but for me 3 orbits successfully picking up the blinds at 100/200 makes up for any value I may be losing against unknowns... against regs, I can steal wider, and sometimes I do... It's a matter of preferance I suppose, and well, it'll be interesting to follow what happens :f_p:
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      When you run as bad as me you need everything you can get, I get rivered constantly and runner runner happens very often. If I am way way ahead like 80 20 there will be a split pot 90% of the time, so stealing blinds is all I got

:f_o:
    • fljama
      fljama
      Bronze
      never in early stage lol.
    • DeLau
      DeLau
      Bronze
      Originally posted by FWKanobi
      I was wandering ...
      It is said that stealing the blinds even at the first stages of the SnG are +ROI...
      I don't think it 's that simple that stealing early is +EV. It mostly depends on whose blinds you want to steal. If I have a few tight regulars to my left I will steal with a very wide range but against loose fish I want something of a hand.
    • Alverine
      Alverine
      Bronze
      IMO you can only thinking of stealing early when it is $6,50+ at stars or $10+ on any other plataform. On the microlimits it will have so many calling stations and previous limpers that you can fold or safely limp behind.
    • Justin37
      Justin37
      Bronze
      i only steal blinds when they look very profitable and with a decent hand.

However, played 4 tables SNG today and losing 2 tables with donkey call.