How often do you steal the blinds at early stages of SnG?

• 12 replies
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      I do with every chance I can. It is said to be worth 2% roi in a turbo and 4% roi in a normal speed
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lennonac
      I do with every chance I can. It is said to be worth 2% roi in a turbo and 4% roi in a normal speed
      Noted :f_cool:

I don't steal at the lower blind levels, and I'm still fairly tight as the blinds increase, but when they're really big in Push or Fold mode I attack them a lot...

I do tend to increase my steal % though when I am in games where I have less of an edge when it comes to ICM... Basically if there are a lot of regs at a table, stealing in the early phases can be super +EV and you can build a decent stack... but where I normally play there are so many :f_grin: that I feel I have a decent edge in the push or fold mode that I like to preserve my chips for that...
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      I hear you nick, obviously I select who I steal from, a tight player I am stealing from all day long, note I dont steal with any two but around 50% shows an instant profit if you include it with c bets.

If the player is playing 30+ vpip I tighten my range but also dont let it put me off too much. Sometimes it doesnt work and you go into the push fold stage slightly down...say 1100-1200.

Obviously there is merit to both plays and the more standard is to play tight and use your ICM skills to gain your edge. I like to think that I play better than most at the $11's post flop as well as Push/fold stage of the sit n go.

If you download ICM Explorer you will see that calling and making small bets has little affect on you $EV but makes a big difference in terms of fold equity.

The fish tend to dominate the early stages of a sit n go and to be honest there are not many chances to steal due to multible limpers. But if the chance is there and I have a semi decent hand I am taking that chance. I am a little wary of regs and if they play back at me I take notes on this. I had AQs in the sb against a reg, the previous orbit I had stolen from him and now I am doing it again. He got the hump and 3 bet me, I 4 bet him smallish and he shoved. I had already commited quite a few chips so I checked his notes. I had written "Defends BB from SB wide" So I called, he showed me ATo and I double through, more importantly I take a reg out of the game.
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      Im not sure I want to keep giving my playing style away with you lurking around Nick :f_cry:
    • FWKanobi
      FWKanobi
      Bronze
      Did we watch the same movie from Stoxpoker about blind stealing ? :D
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      Yeah, its a very interesting video
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      Im not sure I want to keep giving my playing style away with you lurking around Nick :f_cry:
      No no don't worry... keep telling me how you play... it's OK :f_p:

Yeah I definitely get the merits of it, and it is something I have given much thought to. My personal resolution is to stick to the more standard approach because iPoker has a great blind structure and they increase decently so you're not waiting for P/F for 45 mins... 2ndly I play up to 14 tables at times so creating more marginal spots can affect my overall play, and given that the field is so soft I believe it is more +EV for me to grind more tables than ATS more frequently...

One of the other arguments is that if I steal regularly in a SB v BB or but v blinds scenario is when it gets to PF mode they are ready to call me light... when I have a supertight/solid image and they're not regs then I have increased FE when I push ATC into them orbit after orbit... I may be wrong but for me 3 orbits successfully picking up the blinds at 100/200 makes up for any value I may be losing against unknowns... against regs, I can steal wider, and sometimes I do... It's a matter of preferance I suppose, and well, it'll be interesting to follow what happens :f_p:
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      When you run as bad as me you need everything you can get, I get rivered constantly and runner runner happens very often. If I am way way ahead like 80 20 there will be a split pot 90% of the time, so stealing blinds is all I got

:f_o:
    • fljama
      fljama
      Bronze
      never in early stage lol.
    • DeLau
      DeLau
      Bronze
      Originally posted by FWKanobi
      I was wandering ...
      It is said that stealing the blinds even at the first stages of the SnG are +ROI...
      I don't think it 's that simple that stealing early is +EV. It mostly depends on whose blinds you want to steal. If I have a few tight regulars to my left I will steal with a very wide range but against loose fish I want something of a hand.
    • Alverine
      Alverine
      Bronze
      IMO you can only thinking of stealing early when it is $6,50+ at stars or $10+ on any other plataform. On the microlimits it will have so many calling stations and previous limpers that you can fold or safely limp behind.
    • Justin37
      Justin37
      Bronze
      i only steal blinds when they look very profitable and with a decent hand.

However, played 4 tables SNG today and losing 2 tables with donkey call.