How to play AA/KK when the flop shows a high pair TT+ ??

• suaveplayer
      suaveplayer
      Bronze
      You have AA/KK and raise pre-flop. You get two callers and the flop comes like XX7

where X is anything 9+. What is the best way to make the most money/lose the least

when you get a board like that ? When you actually get the quads, how to get people

not to fold (and perhaps try to bluff you) so you get more chips?
  • 10 replies
    • fljama
      fljama
      Bronze
      all in : D
    • suaveplayer
      suaveplayer
      Bronze
      Go all in and only get callers when they actually have the trips?? Can´t see that working.
    • HorstFeratuPQ
      HorstFeratuPQ
      Bronze
      generally, Id say that in the long run you obtain the greatest value by just betting it, since many people will check before you if they flopped trips anyway you will often not have a read.
      i would also be more worried about callers then a re-raise, since the latter will often be a bluff on lower limits and you will collect a pot.

in general the chance is very little for someone to obtain trips on a paired board, of course it happens, but its rare. Quoting from Phil Gordons green little book:
      "The first one to bet a paired board will often win the pot."

of course i do not give any guarantees that my 2 cents here make any sense, and i suggest you wait for more qualified comments before actually following my advice ;)
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      always bet if you are first to act or if everyone before you has folded
      if your bet is called/raised switch to pot control - if opponent seems really determined to get it all in you can fold
      if you have one opponent who raises it is probable he is bluffing unless the board is draw heavy, in which case he may be protecting his hand
      if board is dry, opponent with trips is more likely to flat call you
      if you have two, three or four opponents looking at the flop it becomes more likely you are dead

but as stated above it is highly unlikely an opponent has trips on a 99x board - to get that he would have needed to call your preflop raise with a 9 in his hand which doesnt happen often unless he has a spec hand like 98s or 99. Most people dont coldcall preflop with hands like A9, K9.
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      Hey suaveplayer,

Welcome to PokerStrategy and the Forums.

Its good to see you thinking in depth about strategy and posting your ideas here, it is a very good way to learn.

Regarding what you said; On flops like 997, TT6, 883 etc that are not monotone (all the same suit) then i would push all in because there are many over pairs that you beat that can call you like TT,JJ,QQ(KK). Also the likelyhood that people will have trips is quite small so a lot of the time you may make profit by shoving and them folding.

Good luck and best regards,

-Jack
    • suaveplayer
      suaveplayer
      Bronze
      Thanks for responding everyone.

This is what happended.

Me and some friends were playing a single table 4 handed tourney. I was BB and

was dealt AA. I raised preflop and got two callers, Button and SB. Flop came KK

and a small card. SB checked and it was my turn. I was baffled as what to do

since there was two callers pre-flop and one of the coulde very well have a king.

If I betted, I guessed I would not get any callers if there was no king with them.

If there was I believed I would get raised. So, to not let anyone bluff me I decided to bet 5 BBs. Got no callers.

That flop was quite difficult for me because I was planning to make them bet

with whatever flop (they tend to bet no matter if the flop hits them or not).

When the flop showed KK I didn´t know how to make more money since I

raised preflop, and I usually raise the amount I did when I have AK.
    • nafar84
      nafar84
      Bronze
      With no strong reads, generally bet/call the flop then check/call it down (way ahead/way behind). If you have position and they donk into you then calling them down is better than raising... unless it's a coordinated flop like Jh9h9d then just bet/shove.
    • suaveplayer
      suaveplayer
      Bronze
      Thanks everybody for sharing your thoughts.

Nafar84, whats the meaning of "way ahead/way behind"??
    • nafar84
      nafar84
      Bronze
      Originally posted by suaveplayer
      Thanks everybody for sharing your thoughts.

Nafar84, whats the meaning of "way ahead/way behind"??
      It means that you either have your opponent crushed or he has you crushed, so you don't need to protect your hand by raising. Calling him down will control the size of the pot (in case you are behind), and will allow you to catch bluffs from his inferior hands that he would have otherwise folded if you raised.
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kingdippy2008
      On flops like 997, TT6, 883 etc that are not monotone (all the same suit)
      Omg! What do you do if they are monotone? I'd definately contact support cause there's something wrong with a 997 all hearts board :f_biggrin: