The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

Hero (CO): $50.75
      BTN: $50.50
      SB: $13.92
      BB: $69.59
      UTG: $67.88

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is CO with 6 :club: 8 :club:
      1 fold, Hero raises to $2, BTN calls $2, 2 folds

Flop: ($4.75) A :club: 4 :heart: A :spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.80, BTN calls $2.80

Turn: ($10.35) 5 :heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $6, BTN calls $6

River: ($22.35) 3 :club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $14, BTN folds

Villain is a TAG but I don't have any special reads. I know that broadways like K or Q would be usually better cards to barrell, still I think he's able to fold a medium pocket here. Preflop I wouldn't raise it every time but I do it once in a while.
  • 3 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

It's fine imo, most tags will peel any pp on the flop but let go off every one of them by the river. Whatever you do, just do not bet that turn if you don't want to bet the river, because they'll call again since it's rare for you to have Ax and the 5 is a pretty innocuous card.

Hope it helps.
    • radyan111
      radyan111
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tamairlarace

Whatever you do, just do not bet that turn if you don't want to bet the river, because they'll call again since it's rare for you to have Ax and the 5 is a pretty innocuous card.

Yeah, I decided I would go for a three barrel on the flop already (of course if nothing unusual happens) for the reason you mentioned.

Just an additional question. I know I can't always play like that in such situations. Sometimes I have to give it up - then it's check/fold on the turn, right? And in case I have an ace I also have to bet/bet/bet and not try some check/raises?
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by radyan111
      Just an additional question. I know I can't always play like that in such situations. Sometimes I have to give it up - then it's check/fold on the turn, right? And in case I have an ace I also have to bet/bet/bet and not try some check/raises?
      Right for the check/fold when you're giving up.

As for the line to take you have an Ace it depends on what you think he'll do on the turn:

- If he has another Ax or 44 all the money goes in no matter what you do.

- If he has a pocket pair which is the bulk of his range on the turn, he likely will call another bet but not two and he's probably more likely to call it on the river, but he'll barely ever bet those when you check and will more likely check behind to go for the showdown.

- If he's capable of pure floating the flop he'll stab at the turn always so you can c/r.

So on paper unless you think he's the suspicious type and might look you up for two bets when you barrel blanks, in which case just fire away with Ax and give up bluffs, checking the turn to him with the intention of raising if he bets and valuebetting the river when he checks back will probably make you the most money.

Only problem with that is balance. If you do that every time with Ax and you bet/bet/bet air, you'll be incredibly easy to play against for people who are actually playing with you long enough and paying attention. The c/r line is harder to balance since you'll have to c/r mostly redraws, but it'll also be the one that makes you the hardest to play against for your good opponents.

Since you won't encounter that many tags that fit these criteria at nl50, i'd suggest not to bother with balancing at first and only pay attention once you've shown them some unusual cards at showdown. C/r Ax and 3 barrel air at first and take it from there, if you got caught 3 barreling air, 3 barrel Ax hands. If you got caught check/raising Ax, 3 barrel Ax next time.

Hope it makes sense and it helps.