[NL2-NL10] NL2 T9s

• michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      Hi all

I know I'm not supposed to bluff that much on NL2, but what about in this particular case?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      BB:
      $2.14
      UTG1:
      $2.03
      UTG2:
      $2.00
      MP1:
      $0.80
      MP2:
      $0.37
      MP3(Hero):
      $2.06
      CO:
      $0.35
      BU:
      $3.22
      SB:
      $2.00

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T, 9.
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, CO folds, BU calls $0.08, 2 folds.

Stand raise preflop.

Flop: ($0.19) Q, T, 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.12, BU calls $0.12.

Standard cont bet. I didn't bet because I have a pair, as it was a very weak hand.

Turn: ($0.43) 6 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.25, BU calls $0.25.

He might have called hoping for a flush, it didn't come, so I decided to second barrel, yet again he calls.

River: ($0.93) A (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.60, BU folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Kind of a good turn card for me, even better it wasn't a spade. I thought the best way to avoid a showdown and embarrassment is to try to bluff my way out. Luckily it worked. But I'm not sure if it's the right play, especially at NL2. What's your opinion?

On higher limits I think this is probably a good play.

Final Pot: $0.93.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

On higher limits you'll get repoped on the flop with any reasonable draw and people will mostly let go of anything that's not Qx or a very good Tx when you bet again on the turn. You'll get Tx to fold on the river but i don't think anybody is folding Qx since YOU could have the busted spades.

Conversely, at microstakes it's common for people to play their draws passively so it's possible for them to show up with busted spades on that river provided they didn't have the As to go with it. They'll also peel the turn lighter so you'll see more weaker pairs than yours on the rive. But since they're still not folding Qx, they're probably not calling a third bet with a busted draw or a weak pair, and you actually have showdown value with your Tx to beat those draws / weak pairs, i think check/calling is better then bet/folding in that spot.

I'd love that play if the turn hadn't been a 6, since from then on all the 87 combos beat us and it becomes a lot thinner, but it's probably still a good line given that there are flushdraws out there.

Hope it helps.