To all BSS players - How often do you limp or you mostly prefer to open raise?

• 14 replies
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Almost never @ NLHE 6max/HU
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      suited hand, connectors from EP, small pockets sometimes, to polarize.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by timukasr
      Why the hell would some1 want to polarize his range unless he holds nuts vs thinking player and his range is mainly air which is probably never true when ur EP?
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      I think I have never actually purposely open limped at all over the last few months.

If I deem a hand good enough to play, I raise it, otherwise I fold it. Open-limping would require me to start thinking about how to balance it etc. etc.

I do sometimes limp along, if the other players aren't going to fold to a raise or continuation bets on the flop - but otherwise I prefer to maintain aggression.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      I limp sc, pp when there are stations to act behind
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      I like what Soy says, and hes a nit ;)

-Jack
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      Why the hell would some1 want to polarize his range unless he holds nuts vs thinking player and his range is mainly air which is probably never true when ur EP?
      Ummm... Didn't understand much of what you said, but I play SH and limping and doing weird moves/lines makes you harder to read.
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Being a FR player, I usually raise small pairs from early position, but I might open limp them if I have some loose passive opponents behind me. Generally it's best to just raise and go to the flop with initiative.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      Ummm... Didn't understand much of what you said, but I play SH and limping and doing weird moves/lines makes you harder to read.
      But why do you need to open limp in order to play weird lines?

I also alternate between raising and flatting certain hands in late position / blinds - just as I mix up my EP raising hands.. yet if I was to add limping into this mix I think it would actually make me easier than harder to read since I would need to suddenly balance these hands - which were previously well integrated into my overall raising range.

Open limping means you:
      - don't have initiative on the flop
      - don't have the chance to take down the blinds pre-flop
      - smallers your raising range
      - forces you to limp/call or limp/fold
      - will often have you hitting straight or monster draws in unraised pots in which no one is particularly committed.

Of course it means you can mix things up - but overall I think the positives outweigh the negatives
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      if all the players behind you are very loose(/passive pre and crazy fish post, you can openlimp stuff like 22
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Limping suited hands and PPs doesn't make you harder to read than raising all your range, even more, you get to limp w premium holdings as well in order to balance. And i don't understand wtf it has to do with polarizing?
    • Snodreliss
      Snodreliss
      Silver
      If I limp, I limp KK or AA, rest I raise.. :)
    • kosmonaut111
      kosmonaut111
      Bronze
      Playing 6max

I never openlimp, sometimes I limp from BU/SB when it is family pot and I have some weaker but potentially strong hand (small PPs, suited connectors).

About bringing openlimping to your general strategy, I think that you need to limp sometimes with AA, KK also then. Otherwise raising every hand you play is more deceptive.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      not really, if there are some very loose people behind me I might openlimp hands with good implieds and playability though.