[NL2-NL10] NL100 Q6 Freeplay Triple Heart Board.

• Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $19.80
      MP2:
      $38.85

0.5/1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q:club: , 6:heart:
      2 folds, MP2 calls $1.00, 4 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($2.50) 3:heart: , A:heart: , 2:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.50, MP2 raises to $5.00, Hero folds, MP2 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $5.50

Thoughts:
      :diamond: Preflop is fine I think. What sort of range might I consider raising in a situation like this? Would I need more stats/reads to make loose raises against 1 limper?
      :club: It seems appropriate to put a bet out here, I think most players will fold without a heart. I don't do this on the strength of my heart just as a bluff.
  • 3 replies
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      preflop fine - I would never raise in this spot against virtual unknown. You raise, he calls, you flop top pair with a terrible kicker and suddenly you could be losing a stack.

I check fold the flop too. No :heart: is folding, and many Aces will also call as we'll never be given credit for having flopped a flush. And if our flush completes we again have horrid reverse implied odds since so many better flushes beat us. Ofc, being out of position makes it that much harder to extract value if we do have the best hand.

Generally, I think there are better spots to get frisky than this. I don't have anything against the ocasional bluff but the reality is that our short stack means our bluffs are less frightening than if we were full stacked.

p.s. awsome to see you at NL100 - a rapid rise indeed!!

Best,
      Tim
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Hey Phil,

I agree with Tim that this is not a good flop to bet. The more drawy the board is the less FE you have. So you're better off stabbing very dry boards. Any :heart: , A, 44+, and a bunch of other hands can be calling you here.

I think hands like AT , KJ are an easy raise against such an opponent, (sometimes even A8s+ KTs). You should think about how often he will fold to your pf raise, and how loose he is post flop. The perfect opponent will fold a lot to your cbets, but this guy seems to be on the looser side, so I'd generally choose stronger hands.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hey Smileyphil,

when playing OOP I don't like raising limpers with too loose range. Because you have lots of problems when you have to play OOP and you don't hit(it's another thing when there are more limpers and you can push preflop and negate your position). Specially against loose villains it's a problem to play, so sometimes I just prefer to check preflop and try to hit something nice and then start the aggression.

As played, you have absolute trash on the flop, so I would c/f all the way, but if you decided to bluff here, you have to give up since the bluff didn't work.

Regards,
      burek2000