Are there SnG grinders who play the NON Turbo ones ?!

• FWKanobi
      FWKanobi
      Bronze
      After my latest swing I thought that maybe I should play non turbo (2$ BI currently) to be able to use my edge on post flop play instead of getting to the ICM phase where people gamble....
  • 11 replies
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      There are bound to be sng grinders who play nonturbos, buth they don't like money :tongue:

The thing I love about the turbo's is that you get rushed to the push/fold stage, since that is where a huge part of your edge comes from.
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Me, me, me :D

Yeah, I grind away the non-turbos.

Only my own personal opinion, but i prefer to build a stack from playing ability/skill and get into the money without having to go risk your tournament all the time. I tend to go allin very few times in a tournament and usually have no problems reaching a good % of ITM compared to turbo variants where inevitably you quickly get to a push/fold scenario and whilst maybe having an edge, you are risking being busted out by a lucky sukout.

Don't get me wrong, my ICM is pretty good and I'm confident using push/fold, but why risk your tournament on the turn of a card?

Like I said, just my opinion, each to their own, play whichever you feel happiest with.

I know viewer was just joking, but you can earn very good money from non-turbos, just need to play sensible amount of tables and use sensible BRM.

Best regards,

Bart
    • FWKanobi
      FWKanobi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EagleStar88
      Me, me, me :D

Yeah, I grind away the non-turbos.

Only my own personal opinion, but i prefer to build a stack from playing ability/skill and get into the money without having to go risk your tournament all the time. I tend to go allin very few times in a tournament and usually have no problems reaching a good % of ITM compared to turbo variants where inevitably you quickly get to a push/fold scenario and whilst maybe having an edge, you are risking being busted out by a lucky sukout.

Don't get me wrong, my ICM is pretty good and I'm confident using push/fold, but why risk your tournament on the turn of a card?

Like I said, just my opinion, each to their own, play whichever you feel happiest with.

I know viewer was just joking, but you can earn very good money from non-turbos, just need to play sensible amount of tables and use sensible BRM.

Best regards,

Bart
      Isn't 9 per session sensible enough ? Should I play more ?
      How long are the non turbo ? turbo take me 30-45 minutes
      Im down ~23BI for now...
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi FWK,

How many you play will depend on your confidence and how your playing tbh.

I tend to only play 4 at a time in a set, but just recently I've even stepped down to just 1 table at a time and have greatly improved my ITM/ROI %.

I would say less is more, don't be in a hurry to multitable.

If your down to 23xBI at $2, I would recommend that you play a single $2 table at a time or drop down to the $1 sngs where you would have the recommended 50xBI.

My previous offer still stands, whilst I don't get a great deal of free time at the moment, I'm happy to sit in on your session sometime or you can sit in on mine and I'll see if I can help you at all. Add me via the community and I'll give you my skype.

I might not be the worlds greatest sng player, but I'm pretty solid and have the following stats on the lower buyins:
      ROI on $3 sngs was 36.9% with an ITM of 48.3%.
      For $5 sngs it was 34.0% ROI/44.8% ITM.

Not sure what my stats for the 10's, 20's or 30's are currently, think it's between 4 & 8% ROI on the higher levels, but I can update shortly if anyone is desperate to know.

Best regards,

Bart

Edit: Offered purely as an ordinary member willing to help another member out and would be outside of PokerStategy.

Alternatively I can strongly recommend the PokerStrategy SNG Coaching sessions where Unam, chenny & Thenose are more experienced at helping guide you than I am:

• FWKanobi
      FWKanobi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EagleStar88
      Hi FWK,

How many you play will depend on your confidence and how your playing tbh.

I tend to only play 4 at a time in a set, but just recently I've even stepped down to just 1 table at a time and have greatly improved my ITM/ROI %.

I would say less is more, don't be in a hurry to multitable.

If your down to 23xBI at $2, I would recommend that you play a single $2 table at a time or drop down to the $1 sngs where you would have the recommended 50xBI.

My previous offer still stands, whilst I don't get a great deal of free time at the moment, I'm happy to sit in on your session sometime or you can sit in on mine and I'll see if I can help you at all. Add me via the community and I'll give you my skype.

I might not be the worlds greatest sng player, but I'm pretty solid and have the following stats on the lower buyins:
      ROI on $3 sngs was 36.9% with an ITM of 48.3%.
      For $5 sngs it was 34.0% ROI/44.8% ITM.

Not sure what my stats for the 10's, 20's or 30's are currently, think it's between 4 & 8% ROI on the higher levels, but I can update shortly if anyone is desperate to know.

Best regards,

Bart

Edit: Offered purely as an ordinary member willing to help another member out and would be outside of PokerStategy.

Alternatively I can strongly recommend the PokerStrategy SNG Coaching sessions where Unam, chenny & Thenose are more experienced at helping guide you than I am:

Hi , Im not down TO 23BI , I'm down BY 23BI (from 220$ to ~180$)...
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      Hello FWKanobi,

There has been a lot of feedback already but i thought i would mention something as well about why SnG players play turbo.

Playing normal SnGs means you can exploit your postflop edge more and this generally means that you can get a better ROI.

However the idea of playing turbos is that fact you can play more turbos in a certain amount of time. Now for SnG grinders this is good as they can play double the amount of SnGs in an hour. Guessing they are a good winning player, doubling the amount of SnGs will increase your $ per hour. So they will get more money per hour which if your a grinder and play for a living is good. This will mean that your ROI will drop, but its about finding the right amount of tables and turbos that is optimal. This means when you are making the most $ per hour ;)

Just my input :)

Good luck and best regards,

-Jack
    • FWKanobi
      FWKanobi
      Bronze
      Thank you very much Bart and Jack.
      I've decided to open a blog , hopefully will help my game improve.
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      Originally posted by viewer88
      There are bound to be sng grinders who play nonturbos, buth they don't like money :tongue:

The thing I love about the turbo's is that you get rushed to the push/fold stage, since that is where a huge part of your edge comes from.
      I play non-turbos and I like money :f_confused: Although I play turbos as well, I just register for everything I can, although I do prefer turbos for all the obv reasons, but on iPoker I can't be fussy if I wanna play the volume I do... TBH, the non-turbos will still get to p/f mode, you just get more hands, and yeah your ROI can be slightly better, but I still don't know how to measure that cause you need like a super sick sample, so I don't really care about what my ROI actually is... it's about what you are most confident with and what you want to do...
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      Ipoker has quite a fast blind structure anyway I think so I definately prefer non turbos on there. on full tilt its much slower but i still like playing non turbos. My ROI has improved since and i just play 2 - 4 SnG at the same time.

I do it this way only because its way more fun
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      Ipokers non-turbos last about an hour when you win them... the turbos are about 35-40mins... the blind structure rocks... I don't really car what format I play... in fact I find when I just play 1 type I seem to suck... I dunno... I guess I also prefer them getting to the end-stages at different times... 6/7+ bubble situations at the same time is not optimal... so this works for me... I really believe it's about what you enjoy the most...
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      in MTT i have turbo's but in STT i like it more then regular. Because in MTT it will just come down to who gets lucky, its not skill anymore, because when you reach the final table you must have gone all in several times and won those all ins.

in STT they just speed up the game making them more fun imo. I currently switch betwee MTT and STT SNG'S. not sure which im better at/enjoy most.