Not sure how to explain Tilt or just upset

• levs
      levs
      Bronze
      HEy how you doing everyone ... writing from jamaica... okay need some advice from someone i dont know personally... did the quiz with poker stragedy for $50 went to party poker.... thats sep 9th really starting play around Sept 20th.,.... climbed to 138 US play 0.10cent/0.25cent NLH felt good not making bad calls.....grinding staying positive... now on Sunday decided to enter a few tournamets two 6$ buyin tournamets (limit) finish 32 th of 302 and 12th out of 100 (fell just short of the money.. enter 2 sit and go for 6$ went out at final table and the second one went out early.. now was down to 114 or so.... went to bed with salt in my mouth... today got up went to work then after start grindng ..... i normally play 0.10 cent /25 cent games NLH... buyin with $25... playing well made it up to $36, called a raise... i had pocket 88 i hit a 8 and raised to $2 or so ... next guy all in... i called he hit J on the river with Pocket JJ....

then rebuy build up to $51 played well made alot of bluffs..... but then i got pocket AA raised to 0.75 and guy called.... flop came 2, 4, j i bet the pot of $2.00 somthing....he called 5 came on the turn he bet $22 (man was so CLose to fold..) but called then some rubbish came on the river he pushed all in .... i called ...... his hand pockets 5 lost a whole lot was down to like $72 bankroll....... rebuy .... right after i called a BB .... 2,K,6 came on the flop(was on tilt) so i throw $16(all in) in the pot got called turn and river was rubbish... i had K J the other player had K,2 two pair........

i WENT Crazy!!!! dunno been told by myGF i make it back just keep postive ( i now have $62) almost what i started with.... feel so pissed guuted feel like quiting ..... just all my hard work of late night grinding down the drain,... well i just wana know if this experince is normal or is just was a nasty day for me to play... just dont feel up to it anymore going go rest and see if i am up to it.....( i know i will) but really and truly i am PISSSEEDDDDDDDDDD ........ Any advice there?

Any spelling error... too pissed to check lol ...
  • 14 replies
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      Hmm.. I dont wanna be rude so ill put it kindly =)

In poker there is one thing that is called "variance". It can be very huge and it basically means the luck factor in poker. Therefore even if you play best poker of your life, you can lose 5 or 10 buy-ins in a row.

Due to this fact, its extremely dangerous to play NL25 (0.1/0.25) with just 50$ or 100$ since you can lose it all no matter how good you play.

So you shouldnt play NL25 but NL2 or NL5 with your bankroll.
    • gape0000
      gape0000
      Bronze
      I think if u loose more then half of your bankroll in a single session you are playing higher limits than u can afford.

Im not sure whats the recommended bankroll for NL but i think it around 20BB or more depending how much u tilt and what style u play. Also for MTT's i think some suggest a bankroll of 100 buyins (basicly dont play 6$ until u have enough money)

So now i suggest you to just move down a limit or two and dont worry about a loosing session since we all have them. Also if u start tilting sit out for 10 min so you can clear your head and start playing good again.

Good luck
    • buhhy
      buhhy
      Bronze
      Dude, calm down, it's just bad beats and it can happen alot. Yes you are just upset.
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      JuiceQuadre put it very nicely. Here's a link to go with his reply, in case you wonder what bankroll management is:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/no-limit/1035/#h1_2

I would actually suggest that you use atleast a 30 BI rule instead of 25 as the article suggests. 25 is pushing it I think
    • levs
      levs
      Bronze
      Okay cool.... yeah going jump back on the pace read bankroll thing very nice.. thx going play back a little today.. when i get time , going make it back .... cool game though... in the long run want to use it help pay my bills... reccesion everything taxed in my country.

Going back on the grind and update as i go along.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      i laughed when i read you entered $6 tournaments and SNG with just $138. for SNG you should have atleast 50 buy-ins and for tournaments probably even more. and if you just start with a new type of poker i wouldn't begin so high either..

you should really stick to bankrollmanagement else you will bust eventualy. I made the same mistake when i received the $50 from PS playing $6 heads up SNG and busted the same week.
    • levs
      levs
      Bronze
      Well an update playing 0.10/0.05 or 0.2/.04 i am at $102 dollars now... coming back decently.. same mistake not going happen to me again for sure..

Wana see if i can hit $300 so i an buy a ps3 slim :P
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by levs
      Wana see if i can hit $300 so i an buy a ps3 slim :P
      Don't do that!

You said, you want to use poker earnings to help you to pay your bills, didnt you?
      So, what will happen if you reach $300 and withdraw everything or the most of it? If you work on your game and strictly follow BRM, you can play NL10 with $300 and make some nice money per day. If you withdraw everything or will fall down to $50, you'll have to play NL2 again and spend another month to get to NL10. I don't know how you feel about this, but it's wasting of time and opportunity in my eyes.

In other words: you shouldn't withdraw a single cent of your bankroll before you reach limit where a single withdrawal won't force you to move down a limit.

Let's say, you have $300 and play NL10. Recommended BR is at least 25 buyins so $250. If you withdraw more than $50 you should move down a limit and so your $/hour rate will drop down too... And that's bad!

Forget about withdrawals now. Climb up stakes (while following BRM), build your BR and make your first withdrawal once you can afford it.

:spade: Good luck at the tables :spade:
    • levs
      levs
      Bronze
      Oh....... makes alot of sense.. was just thinking i could climb by way back up ... but come to think about it thats alot of grinding and hrs... btw i download icm trainer from here http://www.pokerstrategy.com/software/7/ when installed keep getting it in german....
    • levs
      levs
      Bronze
      okay fixed the language went into locale file in the Icm folder and change the language setup
    • shortfuse
      shortfuse
      Silver
      play NL2, 16 table it.

easy peasy.
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      easy peasy.

QFT
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by shortfuse
      play NL2, 16 table it.

easy peasy.
      DO NOT DO IT!!

4-6 tabling >>> 16 tabling especially on micro/low limits!

You dont want to play as many hands as possible, you must focus on your game improving and you won't improve that much by 16 tabling... playing abc poker is fine if you grind for bonus, but it's HUGE waste of time if you want to move up the limits. And A LOT of mid/high stakes players will confirm this.

Personaly, I'm switching from FL to NL and will start on one of low limits because I dont know the game very well (can easily beat NL50 but it doesnt require so many skills imo) and won't play more than 4-6 tables. I used to play FL SH 5/10 and did 12-16 tabling but it's -EV if you're not grinding for huge bonuses. I know (now) that I won't ever do anything like that again unless I will notice I can't beat higher limit and will plan to stay at current one for a loooong time...

Just a short explanation: Staying a month on micro limit because you want to grind will cost you 30 days and will earn you $xx. If you focus on your game, learn new strategies, improve hand reading etc., you will move up twice as fast as by grinding. The result: you can be playing NL100 or 200 as grinder after a year or you can play NL1k if you dont grind low limits. Ask yourself what would you prefer ;)
    • levs
      levs
      Bronze
      well actually i am grinding on one table... tried the multitabbing but it all seem like i am a pc and i just pushing premium hands... when i play on one table i can bluff whole lot more ... then push when i have a hand...

After drop back to $50 from $130 i am now back up to $110 and i didnt grind everyday.... i work then go out or sleep on weekdays getting hour or 2 online on when i can... mostly play very hard on sundays..... most party point i racked up in one day was 79.1 PP.... feel pretty good coming back and playing solid / smart poker... I i just looking out for the mistakes i made that got back to $50 initially.... excuse my english got to go now.... cant bother to spell check or check over got to run... :P

I update again on this ..