What kind of computer do I need?

• jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Hi Everyone.

I've been running PSElephant and FullTilt poker. If I run more than 2 tables it really starts
      to bog down. I'm using an old dinosaur of a PC. I'm looking at getting a new system for home office needs so nothing crazy. I'm also on a pretty tight budget. What type of processor should I be looking at? Dual/quad core? How many Ghz? How much RAM? XP/Vista/windows 7 ?

Thanks
  • 6 replies
    • degre
      degre
      Bronze
      I'm running on an ancient P4 1800 with 2Gb of RAM, used to 9 table Mansion with PT3 running and I've never had an issue. Anything baseline on the market is more then sufficient to play.

I still have my old p2 450 somewhere and I think that would still be good to let me 4 table with HEM.
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Originally posted by degre
      I'm running on an ancient P4 1800 with 2Gb of RAM, used to 9 table Mansion with PT3 running and I've never had an issue. Anything baseline on the market is more then sufficient to play.

I still have my old p2 450 somewhere and I think that would still be good to let me 4 table with HEM.
      Hi

Thanks for the quick response. I'm running and old system @ 1 Ghz and 256 mb ram. Guess I'll just go for a basic model.

Thanks a lot.
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Don't worry about the CPU, you won't ever have any processor reach its full capacity anyway. Invest in the motherboard instead, it's the slowest part of your system.
    • degre
      degre
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jonnyquest
      Originally posted by degre

Hi

Thanks for the quick response. I'm running and old system @ 1 Ghz and 256 mb ram. Guess I'll just go for a basic model.

Thanks a lot.
      If you don't need it for anything else it's a wise choice, any basic system out on the market today is more then enough to do everything you might do at home and will save you some money.

Usually you start looking at the specs when you need it for graphic/rendering or gaming.
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      You can pretty much 4table+Elephant+if you're lucky some music with any computer made in the last decade. It works like total crap but i can do the job with an AMD Duron 800MHZ, 256MB RAM.
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Thanks everyone for the replies. I know what I'm going to get now. I can get a system that's a few years old for really cheap from a friend who recently upgraded. AMD X2 dual core 2.0 Ghz, 2.0 GB ram. Probably way more than what I'll ever need. Thanks for the info.

Cheers